While I expect shredding to some rockin tunes playing in your helmet would be quite a lot of fun, not sure if it is a really good idea to ride with headphones in.... Blocking out all external sounds in an environment where folks of various skill levels are zipping about down a mountain seems a bit, I dunno... additionally risky ?

Wonder if there are any studies showing that people who ski/ board listening to tunes have more stacks than those with naked ears... this could be skewing the perception that those wearing helmets have more crashes ;)

Anyway, many Japanese resorts are kind enough and invest genuine forethought into your enjoyment by playing wicked 80's tunes through highly distorted speakers placed in various locations about the mountain - I'm talking quality programming like Bon Jovi " Livin' On A Prayer" for example

:sj-lol:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I tried both my new ski boots and the helmet. First the helmet: It is a first time for me to have a ski helmet, and all I can say is I am very glad I bought one. It is so light that is is no mo

No difference.

If only he'd had a helmet!   WALPOLE, Mass. – A teacher was arrested Wednesday for allegedly walking around his driveway wearing only a ski cap and goggles.

If you wear headphones, you block out all the top hits like AKB48, Perfume and Kool & The Gang's 'Celebration' too!

Can't be a good thing.

Damn right!

It's borderlining on disrespectful to your gracious hosts

Kagura sometimes plays some death metal as well.......nothing better than being away in the serene mountains and listening to a bunch of sweaty, long haired white boys shouting as loud as they can whilst trying to break the guitar strings

The worst thing about Maiko, a place I like very much, is not only the loud crappy music being played but also the very poor quality of the speakers. Go past them on the lift and it's this horrible crazy distorted loud mess. Yes, please please turn it off.

At least at Gala Yuzawa they seem to have a decent sound system. :lol:

I seem to have been haunted by Kool & The Gang this season. Apart from Mt Granview - where there is no music!! - I think I have heard that at every place I have been so far. Sometimes multiple times.

I really don't know why I waited so long to get a helmet. The thing has been great so far! Warm, comfortable, and hardly noticeable on my head. The speaker drop-ins are a plus also, good tunes all day!

Smith Maze helmet with the skull candy drop-ins. Chose the Smith helmet to go along w/my goggles (I'm sure it wouldn't have made much difference though on the brand)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Giro Grove helmet purchased from STP a couple of years ago. It was a third of the price of those in Australian shops.

I love it - soft chin strap and ear thingies and oh, so light.

My kids all had to wear a helmet until they were 18 (while I was buying their season passes). Now two of them are vollie ski patrollers and they only wear their helmets when on a skidoo - go figure :huh:

Last year we were in Niseko with a group of 12 and only one guy didn't have a helmet.

We badgered him until he gave in and bought one. The following week at Furano he was being filmed and whacked into a friend as they were crossing over. Fell backwards and cracked the back of his new helmet! I'd hate to think what would have happened if he wasn't wearing one.

Other good thing about wearing helmets is that you can load it up with a spare set of goggle. Real big help when the pair you wearing fog up or ice up and it also save a heaps of time changing lens.

Last year we were in Niseko with a group of 12 and only one guy didn't have a helmet.

We badgered him until he gave in and bought one. The following week at Furano he was being filmed and whacked into a friend as they were crossing over. Fell backwards and cracked the back of his new helmet! I'd hate to think what would have happened if he wasn't wearing one.

How many years had that guy been skiing without a helmet? And within a week of wearing one he has a major head collision? More support for my theory that it's mostly people wearing helmets hitting their heads on the slopes. ;)

How many years had that guy been skiing without a helmet? And within a week of wearing one he has a major head collision? More support for my theory that it's mostly people wearing helmets hitting their heads on the slopes. ;)

He is an advanced skier and has been skiing in Victoria for years!

Exactly. Years of skiing without any problems without a helmet. Puts a helmet on (because you guys made him) and within a week he's having a major head collision. It's obvious isn't it? Helmets are dangerous :p