I went to Tokyo to buy myself a new pair of ski boots today well actually an xmas present from my wife and at the same time I decided to buy a ski helmet.

Been considering getting one for a while but never really bothered before but thought why not get one especially as I do tend to ski rather fast and do lots of fast cornering.

Might help a little if I were to take a spill.

Hope to give both the boots and helmet a try tomorrow depending what time I get back tonight.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I tried both my new ski boots and the helmet. First the helmet: It is a first time for me to have a ski helmet, and all I can say is I am very glad I bought one. It is so light that is is no mo

No difference.

If only he'd had a helmet!   WALPOLE, Mass. – A teacher was arrested Wednesday for allegedly walking around his driveway wearing only a ski cap and goggles.

I want to get a helmet myself. I intend to try a lot of new things this season and don't want to kill myself doing it... :sj-lol:

The local sports shop here doesn't offer much in the way of sizes though. Did you have to size very large? My goggles are very big too. Need to make sure to bring them and put it all on.

I used my new helmet Thursday with the headphone drop ins. I dont know what took me so long to get one, it's great! Now i dont have to worry about snow in the goggles as well, lol.

I want to get a helmet myself. I intend to try a lot of new things this season and don't want to kill myself doing it... :sj-lol:

The local sports shop here doesn't offer much in the way of sizes though. Did you have to size very large? My goggles are very big too. Need to make sure to bring them and put it all on.

Actually no. The helmet I got is a medium and it fits perfect.

My boots though thats different they are 30.5cm.

Amazingly enough the first pair that I liked and wanted which I tried fitted perfect and didnt require any adjustment unlike my previous boots.

The shop also heated my boots up then I put my fert in them walk about the shop for 10 mins so the boots and inner sole molds aroud the shape of my feet.

Wow that sounds like a nice experience. I rolled the dice with the 30cm boots. When they arrived, turns out they were 30.5cm and actually fit perfect so yay for mistakes. Your boots sound high tech. Molded inserts? Hehe.

Let me know how you like wearing the helmet. I'm still in the market.

Yes I bought a pair of Atomics with the moulded inserts/lining. They also have the flexible foot shell something which will be different from my old stiff boots.

Ill post a pic of them later and the helmet.

Hoping to get out this afternoon to try them and the helmet out if I get all my stuff finished.

If not I will be going tomorrow for sure.

I will let you know how it feels to ski with a helmet and what the new boots are like.

Well I tried both my new ski boots and the helmet.

First the helmet: It is a first time for me to have a ski helmet, and all I can say is I am very glad I bought one.

It is so light that is is no more than wearing a woolen hat and it keeps my ears warm and also my goggles fit better.

I have no idea I have a helmet on my head when I am skiing.

How much protection it actually offers I have no idea, and hopefully I will never find that out, but if nothing else it keeps your my head and ears warm and I am sure it must offer a reasonable degree of head protection.

My goggles din't fog, but then it was a clear sunny day, so will only find out whether the helmet makes any difference to the goggles fogging or not when I am out on a cloudy/snowy day.

But first impressions are that it was well worth buying and I wonder why I didn't buy one earlier.

If you buy a helmet make sure you get one that fits your head perfect, otherwise there is no meaning to wearing a helmet!!!!

Now on to my new boots :

They fit so comfortably that I don't know I got boots on my feet and they are very light compared to my 7+ year old boots.

The first run took a little getting used to the feel, of lightness on my feet, but once I got over that it was the same as with my old boots, but with much more comfort and more feedback from the skis.

How they will be for longevity I have no idea, but I am guessing they should equal my other boots.

If I go out tomorrow, then I can give them a really good test run, but first impressions are very good indeed.

I added a few pics of my boots and helmet for anyone interested.

My boots

med_gallery_8995_348_3440862.jpg

med_gallery_8995_348_2948783.jpg

med_gallery_8995_348_2910029.jpg

Now onto the helmet

med_gallery_8995_348_2550509.jpg

med_gallery_8995_348_341118.jpg

med_gallery_8995_348_1345783.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the followup. The boots look sweeet!

The helmet looks like it would be heavier than it looks for sure. Plenty of venilation though it seems.What brand is it? Can't see any labeling in the provided pictures.

Thanks for the followup. The boots look sweeet!

The helmet looks like it would be heavier than it looks for sure. Plenty of venilation though it seems.What brand is it? Can't see any labeling in the provided pictures.

It is actually very light you really do not know its on your head.

It is a GIRO NINE.10 Titanium

Well I tried both my new ski boots and the helmet.

First the helmet: It is a first time for me to have a ski helmet, and all I can say is I am very glad I bought one.

It is so light that is is no more than wearing a woolen hat and it keeps my ears warm and also my goggles fit better.

I have no idea I have a helmet on my head when I am skiing.

How much protection it actually offers I have no idea, and hopefully I will never find that out, but if nothing else it keeps your my head and ears warm and I am sure it must offer a reasonable degree of head protection.

My goggles din't fog, but then it was a clear sunny day, so will only find out whether the helmet makes any difference to the goggles fogging or not when I am out on a cloudy/snowy day.

But first impressions are that it was well worth buying and I wonder why I didn't buy one earlier.

If you buy a helmet make sure you get one that fits your head perfect, otherwise there is no meaning to wearing a helmet!!!!

Now on to my new boots :

They fit so comfortably that I don't know I got boots on my feet and they are very light compared to my 7+ year old boots.

The first run took a little getting used to the feel, of lightness on my feet, but once I got over that it was the same as with my old boots, but with much more comfort and more feedback from the skis.

How they will be for longevity I have no idea, but I am guessing they should equal my other boots.

If I go out tomorrow, then I can give them a really good test run, but first impressions are very good indeed.

I added a few pics of my boots and helmet for anyone interested.

My boots

med_gallery_8995_348_3440862.jpg

med_gallery_8995_348_2948783.jpg

med_gallery_8995_348_2910029.jpg

Now onto the helmet

med_gallery_8995_348_2550509.jpg

med_gallery_8995_348_341118.jpg

med_gallery_8995_348_1345783.jpg

Great report, heading to hakuba in a couple of weeks,my first time. Wasnt sure about the helmet, also never worn one before, but keeping my ears warm is a seller for me..

Am A big fan of the helmet for keeping your brain safe, and the added benefit of extra warmth too.

Was a skier from age 5 ~ 19 then took a few years off cause of the $$.

Never wore a helmet when skiing, then I went for my first boarding trip to Falls Creek with some mates at age 35. My buddy was stowing his gear in my car and I saw him chuck in a helmet -

"Why do you wear that, are you some kind of softcock?" says I in my ignorance..... "Man you gotta wear a helmet when you're boarding" he replies.

Seeing as how he has done a season boarding in Canada and I figure he must be of a pretty decent standard I took his advice and rented a helmet - definitely glad I did - final day on slopes I was on a steep trail doing backhand slashes off a nice bank at the side of the run., Towards the end of the day which was nice and sunny the bank re-froze and set rock hard -instead of tearing the top off it as per previous runs, when I hit the bank it launched me into the middle of the trail where I landed flat on my back on icy snow hitting head hard enough that my ears rang & I saw stars.....

Ever since this incident I love the helmet - fashion definitely comes second to having a functional brain :thumbsup:

Well I got the chance to properly put my boots through there pace and all I can is I am glad I changed my boots. Took a few runs to really get used to them but now they feel so good and just has so much more feedback than my old skis.

The helmet I got is a great ear and head warmer and goggle anchor. So happy with both so far.

I was taking a look round today at Joetsu Kokusai.

I'd say people using helmets was way less than 5%. Probably closer to 1%.

interesting.

I took note of a Japanese Ski School class of little tots at Hanazono the other day. You know the little pre-school or early school kiddies that you can't help but coo about and say stuff like 'nawwwww!' and 'Kawaii!!!'. I would say there were 10 littlies with a female instructor. All except for one very cute little girl in a very cute pink beanie was in a helmet.

Due to these discussions and my own offsprings refusal to wear the helmets they brought with them I've been taking note.

Lots of helmets up here in Niseko - unsurprising as there are a lot of foreigners and quite a lot of kids. But the majority of beanie wearers are young men I'd say 17+ but my youngest beanie wearer is 14, and looks 17 so could be younger. Little kids and older adults are the most likely to be wearing them. It's interesting given that research suggests the highest head injury demographic (with or without helmets) is the group choosing not to wear helmets anyway. Young guys - risk takers - has been that way since the dawn of time.

Same at most ski resorts in Japan, I would guess.

Certainly at the ones I have been to. Which is quite a few and does not include Niseko.

I was taking a look round today at Joetsu Kokusai.

Went to a popular resort in Norway a few weeks ago, and I would say the ratio was the opposite. 1 out of 20 was without helmet, probably fewer. And this at a time when only the wide and easy trails were open, and off-piste + black runs were unaccessible due to lack of snow.

Good to see such safety concern I guess, but back country/powder riding is so in right now, and I'm guessing a lot of trend sensitive scandinavians want to profile themselves as somewhat more adventurous than they actually are... ;)

You want a helmet, wear one; you don't, don't.

IIII, I assume that's your qualified neurosurgeon diagnosis having examined the patient and reviewed all clinical data?

Statistically, head trauma isn't very common in snowsports accidents -- albeit when it occurs it's typically severe.

Skiers are far more likely to screw up knees, boarders to fark up wrists.

Suggest those on both sides stop making a moral crusade out of it and let people decide for themselves.

You want a helmet, wear one; you don't, don't.

IIII, I assume that's your qualified neurosurgeon diagnosis having examined the patient and reviewed all clinical data?

Statistically, head trauma isn't very common in snowsports accidents -- albeit when it occurs it's typically severe.

Skiers are far more likely to screw up knees, boarders to fark up wrists.

Suggest those on both sides stop making a moral crusade out of it and let people decide for themselves.

Seems a little dramatic for a pretty vanilla conversation. I guess you're referring to Schumacher?

I didn't see anyone on my local slope wearing a helmet except a small child, maybe 6 or 7. Definitely getting one myself soon enough. Riding a motorcycle for 7 years, I kind of feel naked going that fast without that feeling of protection.

I find the 'close to 0% of Japanese skiers and boarders wear helmets' thing curious.

You'd think that Japan being Japan, pretty much everyone would wear one. 安全第一!

Or maybe not, if they are totally not fashion.

I dont recall seeing anyone riding their treadlies on the streets of tokyo wearing helmets. Just the way things are in Japan i guess.
treadlies and helmets is a whole other discussion. IMHO the legislation in Aus for bike helmet use has resulted in a large demographic of people NOT riding bikes. Of course the Lycra brigade still get out there, and probably a whole lot of families, but a heap of people who would use bikes for local doddle commutes now don't.

In some cities (not Perth) you can rent bikes from one station and drop them back at another, what a great initiative! But most don't have bike helmets with them and if they do, they aren't the right size. So...you are a tourist (local or otherwise) you hire a bike, and then fall foul of the law for not wearing a helmet... So the bikes get WAY under utilised. Pretty sad really.