I learned everything i know on toomi/iimori. Well, almost everything... i learned to link a turn on togari.

But i learned my first groundtrick, i learned to carve, i learned to ride a box, and i learned to jump. Oh, and i learned to do a kick ass helicopter ground spin into a tail slide. I say learn, i mean i did a kick ass helicopter (540), and landed on the tail then tried to recover. But i got a clap from a skier who i think was under the impression i was going for it, so im officially counting it.

Iimori is BRILLIANT for learning. Toomi is also obviously good, but toomi has all the crowds. No one touches iimori. The noobs stay on toomi and the rest are off all over the mountain. Its a brilliant place to just find some space and do your thing. Id do a few laps of toomi first mind you. But when you can, just traverse across and play on iimori the rest of the day.

Another great thing about goryu is that once you can link a turn, youre rewarded with one of the best paths ive ridden. Not best in terms of quality. Its sometimes hair raisingly terrifying for a near beginner (id do it only when youve linked your turns and start feeling a bit comfortable playing dodge the noob sitting across the run (with 2 meters space either side and a giant wall at one side, and a drop into god knows where on the other). But the scenery is stupendous. :)

• Like 1
Dont listen to any of this rubbish, your kids are possesed by the devil. Stop them whatever it takes. ( smile ).

seriously made me laugh out loud!

We tell our boarders when they make noises about skiing that it's OK we will still love them when they come out of the closet. ;)

(Says she who is looking at skis and ski boots and wondering if they will actually get used this trip...)

• 3 months later...

Too late now I know, but for future reference, I'd agree with the choice of Tsugaike Kogen due to the width and gentle gradient of the lower slopes. I also remember thinking the same about the lower slopes at neighbouring Norikura, which connects with Cortina.

Looking outside of the Hakuba valley, in fact beyond Honshu, I always think Furano up in Hokkaido is good for beginners, with wide, lower slopes on both the Furano and Kitanomine sides of the resort. Perhaps that explains why you always see Japanese school trips and the SDF training there.