While I see the point of view that Biggen is presenting, I truly don't subscribe to it as "fact" that Japanese view Aussies as the lager lout of the whities. Brits and Yanks do exactly the same thing, only in other locations.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is one of the stupidest comments I've seen on these forums in a while. You have absolutely no evidence to back this up other than your own prejudice.

I grew up in a tourist town. We had two major groups of tourists, one from a place that treated us with respect, and one from a place that treated is like stupid hicks. In turn, we thought nicely of

This guy is just being a troll.

I know of no way to get the official stats of thefts, who perpetrated them and if they were convicted.

I do think that the Japanese on the whole love to buy new products and the latest, most up to date items...including their snowboards/ski's and snow wear. I have seen many, good as new boards from the previous season on sale in 2nd Street and Hard Off. So, I agree with Tubby, you will find new, expensive boards and ski's at resorts all around Japan.

Personally, I have never heard of any thefts from Rusutsu, been and stayed there many times and have seen lots of foreigners there (mainly families though, family resort image compared to Niseko) and feel safe about my board being left out, unlocked.

I think the problem may be the clientele that Niseko attracts, young groups of people (Japanese and from overseas), looking for a good time on the slopes and lots of nightlife to enjoy, something that is very different from Rusutsu and only a short drive down the road. I know MANY families go to Niseko too, but compare the size of Niseko, the amount of accommodation available and the après ski available and the general target customers compared to Rusutsu and I think that is why there are more thefts there.

You shouldn't all start going to Rusutsu though, the snow there is shit and the lift lines VERY long, especially today!

Yeah I have been saying that for years now (the lift lines did look busy today though)

To give my comment more credentials, I was approach by two Jouno,s at different places and different days. The first Jouno was from SBS TV while I was at Escal Plaza and other from 4ch at a restrurant "Kickonkon" last season. Both ask my response about Australian behaviour in Hakuba not Brit not American but Australian. I told them my point of view "THAT WAS ONLY A FEW" that behave badly, then I ask why just Australian why no other foreigners to the 4ch reporter. The reply was "all the complaint were concerning Australian". Why did they appoarch me, I have no idea. The fact is they did and that they both ask about Australian behaviour .

Can of worms

Resorts with more thefts are likely to also be those with higher foreigner numbers.....but that's not to say that it doesn't happen at other resorts and perpetrated by Japanese

Mama, I disagree with u saying there is more new gear at N and this is a factor......same amount of new gear at other resorts too and very very rare to hear about thefts.....but again it DOES happen.

Biggen, to say that it's ONLY Aussies who drink to get drunk etc......that's bullshit. I've seen plenty of obnoxiously drunk Japanese.....respect is a 2 way street, if locals don't respect tourists then it's hard to see why tourists would respect locals.

That said Ive always tried to treat other people the way I wasn't other people to treat me

You know that's bollocks right? Tourists visit, locals live. How they choose to welcome tourists is their own choosing. Let me give you an example: Somalia.

I grew up in a tourist town. We had two major groups of tourists, one from a place that treated us with respect, and one from a place that treated is like stupid hicks. In turn, we thought nicely of, and were nice to (and learned the language of) visitors from the former locale, and despised visitors from the latter one (though were nice to their faces, but behind their backs....).

So yes, it is a two-way street. Try to be on right side of it.

• Like 1

To give my comment more credentials, I was approach by two Jouno,s at different places and different days. The first Jouno was from SBS TV while I was at Escal Plaza and other from 4ch at a restrurant "Kickonkon" last season. Both ask my response about Australian behaviour in Hakuba not Brit not American but Australian. I told them my point of view "THAT WAS ONLY A FEW" that behave badly, then I ask why just Australian why no other foreigners to the 4ch reporter. The reply was "all the complaint were concerning Australian". Why did they appoarch me, I have no idea. The fact is they did and that they both ask about Australian behaviour .

Sensationalist journalism. If it's the topic of the day, then they will pick at it.

In a way you're quite lucky that the Chinese Mainlanders hold Japan in such contempt. They just take the piss in bad visitors.com.

Can of worms

Resorts with more thefts are likely to also be those with higher foreigner numbers.....but that's not to say that it doesn't happen at other resorts and perpetrated by Japanese

Mama, I disagree with u saying there is more new gear at N and this is a factor......same amount of new gear at other resorts too and very very rare to hear about thefts.....but again it DOES happen.

Biggen, to say that it's ONLY Aussies who drink to get drunk etc......that's bullshit. I've seen plenty of obnoxiously drunk Japanese.....respect is a 2 way street, if locals don't respect tourists then it's hard to see why tourists would respect locals.

That said Ive always tried to treat other people the way I wasn't other people to treat me

You know that's bollocks right? Tourists visit, locals live. How they choose to welcome tourists is their own choosing. Let me give you an example: Somalia.

I grew up in a tourist town. We had two major groups of tourists, one from a place that treated us with respect, and one from a place that treated is like stupid hicks. In turn, we thought nicely of, and were nice to (and learned the language of) visitors from the former locale, and despised visitors from the latter one (though were nice to their faces, but behind their backs....).

Yes. Mardi Gras is such an exception.

Ok.

And myself, my husband and my kids were interviewed by J-TV about why we came to Niseko and why we love it so...

They were very positive.

What does it matter?

Interestingly when my son responded to the questions in Japanese, they very quickly moved onto his mate - a first time visitor.

They wanted to noob round eye 'Japan is great!' angle.

It still doesn't really matter.

What matters is we all see one another as individuals. Not branded by what a handful of people from our country get up to.

Frootstick,

Just don't be careless.

I still didn't lock my board this trip. But I also didn't leave it anywhere for a long time.

Lunch on the mountain was as long as it was left.

PBs board always attracts a bit of interest, and he didn't lock that either.

But my tip to you is that if it will ruin your trip if it vanishes, then invest in a small lock and use it.

We are pragmatic folks, and possessions are possessions... We are at that stage of our lives no longer on a shoestring budget, so 'things' can be replaced. But I know some of the young season staff are locking their boards as they simply could not afford to replace them, and while unlikely to occur, the impact would be huge if it did.

Can of worms

...because the parade goes one-way...?

However, the idiots are not the largest number of Australian visitors. Most are polite happy people who make no trouble and just love to ski/board and enjoy Japan.

Yes. So what? I did not say anything about "the largest number of Australian visitors". That is entirely your invention. You make up a fictious quote and then proced to bash it. That is called a "strawman argument".

I would strongly recommend to you to read before commenting...

THe majority of these so call stolen equipment are miss place or mistaken to be their,s by other follow westerner. Just that people assume the it stolen. We had a guest who said that Y500,000.00 was stolen from his room only to find out 3 weeks latter that it was misplace. Westerner assume If the item missing, it stolen, only to find out that own stupidity of miss place the item. I have alway told guests rarely to does stuff get stoten in Japan more the case of miss placing.

Can of worms

No it's not......if locals, who rely on tourism for their livelihood don't respect tourists, then those tourists who come are not gonna give a rats ass about respecting the locals. Treat us like shit?! So what.....I'll be gone in 2 weeks anyway so..... And on the cycle goes

Treat us like shit?! So what.....I'll be gone in 2 weeks anyway so..... And on the cycle goes

Stop the 'cycle' by being decent then.

Who are these locals that treat people like shit? One or two individuals, or the entire population? If one or two locals treat people badly, does the whole place deserve to be treated badly in return?

And why do people have to treat people badly in return anyway? Revenge or something? Why not take the high road and just be decent.

However, the idiots are not the largest number of Australian visitors. Most are polite happy people who make no trouble and just love to ski/board and enjoy Japan.

Yes. So what? I did not say anything about "the largest number of Australian visitors". That is entirely your invention. You make up a fictious quote and then proced to bash it. That is called a "strawman argument".

I would strongly recommend to you to read before commenting...

I never did any such thing.

I did not 'make up a quote'.

I presented my opinion in response to your opinion.

If you do not like people to disagree with your opinion or discuss it's merits then maybe posting sweeping generalisations on Internet forums is not for you.

Frootstick,

Just don't be careless.

I still didn't lock my board this trip. But I also didn't leave it anywhere for a long time.

Lunch on the mountain was as long as it was left.

PBs board always attracts a bit of interest, and he didn't lock that either.

But my tip to you is that if it will ruin your trip if it vanishes, then invest in a small lock and use it.

We are pragmatic folks, and possessions are possessions... We are at that stage of our lives no longer on a shoestring budget, so 'things' can be replaced. But I know some of the young season staff are locking their boards as they simply could not afford to replace them, and while unlikely to occur, the impact would be huge if it did.

I agree with that. As I mentioned in the thread about stolen gear, we have never locked our gear in Niseko when breaking for lunch etc. - and we do have a couple of nice and unusual boards. I will probably lock my second set-up if leaving it at the mountain base for most of the day.

Of course, things change all the time in the world and Niseko is different every year, so I will reassess when I get there in a couple of weeks...

This 'cycle' you mention, Tubby.

It strikes me as being sadly the way things seem to often work in UK society of late.

And it's really not nice.

Why would we want to encourage that way of behaving.

• Like 1

Can of worms

...because the parade goes one-way...?

Brilliant. You're on the ball.