:lol:

Actually on the bus to Rusutsu this morning, my friend found a video camera loaded with footage from the day before (why did the bus drivers not check?) and of course he handed it in.....someone was a very lucky bugger

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is one of the stupidest comments I've seen on these forums in a while. You have absolutely no evidence to back this up other than your own prejudice.

I grew up in a tourist town. We had two major groups of tourists, one from a place that treated us with respect, and one from a place that treated is like stupid hicks. In turn, we thought nicely of

This guy is just being a troll.

I really don't understand why they leave their cars running all the time, or warm them up for a long time in the morning... Gas is expensive here, and cars warm up faster when you drive them immediately after starting. I stopped at the grocery store on they way back from the slopes today and there were 7 cars with no one in them at the front of the store and one with a dog in it O.O

Yo mate. You being Japanese, wouldn't you be more friendly to the environment and turn your engine off when you're out of your car? Or do you have lots of money and like to waste petrol while spewing gunk to annoy everyone.

Please post your number plate and where you frequently do your shopping and if I'm in the area, I'll help out and turn off your engine and store your keys in the nearest gutter.

In North America most new cars can be started from inside your home. Why would you. In serve cold condition doors looks freeze or the doors are frozen to the door-jam a lot of the time. Other reason is to allow the coolant to warm up. If you start car and driving off, there a high chance of it over heating and blowing a head gasket before the temp gage shows the real temp. it because the sender is still fozen and or still really cold. please remember I am talking temp of -10 and lower. Also the theory of it bing more expense in fuel cost is wrong. I have it from mechanic that is more expensive to start your car then letting it idle for 5 minutes. I will avocate that leaving it running while in the shop is not be being green friendly. Most often I am in the shop for more then 5 minutes so I take your advice Winter Vacation and turn car off in the future while doing my shopping.

I have been told of incidents of theft in niseko, not only ski/board gear but personal items from hotels and lodges. The offenders hit while the victims are out in the snow.

Now i wonder what sort of person would do such a thing. hmmm.

If I were betting guy, I´d put my money on a non-Japanese visitor.

Yo mate. You being Japanese, wouldn't you be more friendly to the environment and turn your engine off when you're out of your car? Or do you have lots of money and like to waste petrol while spewing gunk to annoy everyone.

Please post your number plate and where you frequently do your shopping and if I'm in the area, I'll help out and turn off your engine and store your keys in the nearest gutter.

In North America most new cars can be started from inside your home. Why would you. In serve cold condition doors looks freeze or the doors are frozen to the door-jam a lot of the time. Other reason is to allow the coolant to warm up. If you start car and driving off, there a high chance of it over heating and blowing a head gasket before the temp gage shows the real temp. it because the sender is still fozen and or still really cold. please remember I am talking temp of -10 and lower. Also the theory of it bing more expense in fuel cost is wrong. I have it from mechanic that is more expensive to start your car then letting it idle for 5 minutes. I will avocate that leaving it running while in the shop is not be being green friendly. Most often I am in the shop for more then 5 minutes so I take your advice Winter Vacation and turn car off in the future while doing my shopping.

Nah. I is talking about leaving engine running while in shop. The drive to the shop would've warmed the engine up pretty thoroughly.

Cold starting requires extra choking (more fuel), but idling versus starting a hot engine? Iding bad..... turn off engine good......

This past week in N America sounded horrific.

Well, no. Stereotyping :naughty:

Nope, just looking at the probabilities. In Japanese resorts with no foreigners, this incident does not happen.

In Niseko (according to the story), it does happen. What is the difference between other resorts and Niseko? Foreigners. What is the nationality of just about 100% of the foreigners in Niseko? Aussie.

Now your turn, Dr. Watson.

:-)

Nope, just looking at the probabilities. In Japanese resorts with no foreigners, this incident does not happen.

In Niseko (according to the story), it does happen. What is the difference between other resorts and Niseko? Foreigners. What is the nationality of just about 100% of the foreigners in Niseko? Aussie.

Just about? Far far far far from it. Don't assume black hair slitty eyes and bad English to be only Japanese. The majority of foreign visitors to Hokkaido are Taiwanese, they eclipse the rest ten-fold.

Aussies are the most visible though for bad language and hair.

Just about? Far far far far from it. Don't assume black hair slitty eyes and bad English to be only Japanese. The majority of foreign visitors to Hokkaido are Taiwanese, they eclipse the rest ten-fold.

Aussies are the most visible though for bad language and hair.

Not my impression in Hirafu at all, but of course that is only anecdotal evidence. I had the feeling about 80% of the people on the slope in Hirafu were Aussies, the rest Japanese/Chinese/whatever.

Now I don´t think Taiwanese tourists are likely suspects, but anyway, please note that I said "foreigner". Now you are welcome to place your statistical bet on Japanese as likely suspects. We are all free to use Occams razor or to not use it.

Mate, you are inferring from something that I've not implied.

I've only said your statement "What is the nationality of just about 100% of the foreigners in Niseko? Aussie." is completely wrong.

And from that implication of the suspected nationality of the perps, it is absolutely an insult to Aussies.

This is one of the stupidest comments I've seen on these forums in a while. You have absolutely no evidence to back this up other than your own prejudice.

• Like 1

I laid out the facts, Dr. Watson. Try to read before opining next time :-)

Saying 100% of Foreigners in Niseko is a crock I say around 40% and there is a large contingent of Europeans.

Many years ago I was in a hostel in France and had money stolen by a German guy sharing my room

Thus I think that it must be the Germans who steal stuff

I laid out the facts, Dr. Watson. Try to read before opining next time :-)

Your facts are simply anecdotal opinion which is heavily influenced by existing prejudice and expectation.

Granted there are plenty of Aussies in Niseko.

Granted there is the odd occasional complete and utter tool Aussie.

My own son was sucker punched by one in a bar that he works in last week.

However, the idiots are not the largest number of Australian visitors. Most are polite happy people who make no trouble and just love to ski/board and enjoy Japan.

They are also NOT the largest group of international visitors, let alone close to 100% of all international visitors - that is just ludicrous.

I was staying in an Aussie owned and run accommodation that has even built the building with a few 'Aussie' power points in each unit for ease of their visitors and owners. You'd expect it to be full of Aussies. Well I chatted to 3 families from Jakarta, one from the UK, one from Hong Kong, one from Germany as well as 2 others (than us) from Australia.

Quote from nisade:

Hokkaido is Japan’s largest prefecture (83,000 square kilometres) and represents only 5% of Japan’s population. Niseko-Rusutsu is a popular region within Hokkaido with a population of 30,000. This can increase dramatically with reported tourist numbers reaching 1.5 million throughout the year.

Domestic visitors still account for a large number of tourists to the region and with the international profile of Niseko increasing, the domestic markets of Tokyo and Osaka are also seeing strong growth. Each year international numbers increase; the last few ski seasons saw a large increase in visitor numbers from Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.

Direct flights to Sapporo from Hong Kong and China should see visitors from these regions continue to rise. International travellers visiting Niseko stay an average of 8-10 nights.

There has been documented cases of Japanese thieves in Niseko, however like others I would expect it would be more likely to be foreigners, simply due to the beautiful respectful nature that is more widespread in Japan than anywhere else. But there are exceptions.

The cases of theft are higher in Niseko because there are SO many new boards and skis being left in racks in easy access while people lunch and drink. Anywhere there is high pickings combined with brilliant opportunity you will get the subsequent following of the criminal opportunist element. The thieves are not likely to bother with a small local field where people either have their equipment on their feet or in/on their moving vehicle.

The same affluent environment, new gear sitting unlocked in ski racks, occurs in Australia - so you get the opportunists there.

Same happens world over!

I recently watch a movie 'The Sister' a Swiss film dealing with just this topic.

The below link is the best review I could find of the film, bizarrely on a Christian Science website!

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Movies/2012/1005/Sister-A-terrific-sad-movie-about-childhood-lived-on-the-edge

If we all stopped spouting completely prejudiced bullshit, and actually dealt with PEOPLE on a one to one basis we might actually get somewhere as a global community. Don't you think?

Aussie in Japan snow areas are like Rangers, they stick out like soar thumb and not not because they have round eyes. They are obnoxious, natiionist, never considering the local community feelings or laws. 1: skiing on roads and car park because there is on sign saying not to do so or they are told by the Aussie owners of the hotel where they are staying that it ski in ski out ( written in the Advertising ) which is a blatant snub to the local community protocols. 2: refusing to obey resort rule by riding in restricted areas. 3:Being obnoxiously load when going home from a night out on the piss. It is a huge problem to the local communities,because why would I be ask to be interviewed by Mina Misawa from SBC TV about the outrageous action and attitudes by Aussies Tourists (not any other nationality) . Because the local are total piss off with the Aussies. Their not going to go to the Murdock press to air there grievance. Mamabear you do not see this because your not part the community and don,t watch or read the local Japanese news or newspapers. This is not prejudiced but hard facts. There is a big different between social drinking and drinking to get drunk. It only a few Aussie that are guilty of this behaviour but they are all tar with the same brush in the local eyes. I apologise to any Aussie who do right thing if offended by these fact but this is how the locals are feeling about Australian nationals.

Can of worms

Resorts with more thefts are likely to also be those with higher foreigner numbers.....but that's not to say that it doesn't happen at other resorts and perpetrated by Japanese

Mama, I disagree with u saying there is more new gear at N and this is a factor......same amount of new gear at other resorts too and very very rare to hear about thefts.....but again it DOES happen.

Biggen, to say that it's ONLY Aussies who drink to get drunk etc......that's bullshit. I've seen plenty of obnoxiously drunk Japanese.....respect is a 2 way street, if locals don't respect tourists then it's hard to see why tourists would respect locals.

That said Ive always tried to treat other people the way I wasn't other people to treat me

Can of worms

Resorts with more thefts are likely to also be those with higher foreigner numbers.....but that's not to say that it doesn't happen at other resorts and perpetrated by Japanese

Mama, I disagree with u saying there is more new gear at N and this is a factor......same amount of new gear at other resorts too and very very rare to hear about thefts.....but again it DOES happen.

Biggen, to say that it's ONLY Aussies who drink to get drunk etc......that's bullshit. I've seen plenty of obnoxiously drunk Japanese.....respect is a 2 way street, if locals don't respect tourists then it's hard to see why tourists would respect locals.

That said Ive always tried to treat other people the way I wasn't other people to treat me

What i was implying is Aussie get the blame because of a few. Not that it is only aussie. I am not targeting Aussie. Just stating fact Tubby. It the same in Bali .Aussie any beat up the local blame the Aussie. The same in NZ. THe same in Thailand. Aussie have a bad reputation because of a few. A very small precent but mud stick. If You have a Aussie accent it taken for granted that you drink. Not all aussie drink or behave obnoxiously but all are band as. I stating a fact. If your upset by the fact I sorry, But like I said mud sticks

I know of no way to get the official stats of thefts, who perpetrated them and if they were convicted.

I do think that the Japanese on the whole love to buy new products and the latest, most up to date items...including their snowboards/ski's and snow wear. I have seen many, good as new boards from the previous season on sale in 2nd Street and Hard Off. So, I agree with Tubby, you will find new, expensive boards and ski's at resorts all around Japan.

Personally, I have never heard of any thefts from Rusutsu, been and stayed there many times and have seen lots of foreigners there (mainly families though, family resort image compared to Niseko) and feel safe about my board being left out, unlocked.

I think the problem may be the clientele that Niseko attracts, young groups of people (Japanese and from overseas), looking for a good time on the slopes and lots of nightlife to enjoy, something that is very different from Rusutsu and only a short drive down the road. I know MANY families go to Niseko too, but compare the size of Niseko, the amount of accommodation available and the après ski available and the general target customers compared to Rusutsu and I think that is why there are more thefts there.

You shouldn't all start going to Rusutsu though, the snow there is shit and the lift lines VERY long, especially today!

Can of worms

You know that's bollocks right? Tourists visit, locals live. How they choose to welcome tourists is their own choosing. Let me give you an example: Somalia.