Hi all,

I'll be skiing the niseko area in January and will be bringing 2 or 3 sets of skis. I've not been able to find answers to these questions via search:

1. Is there on-mountain storage or check-in/valet for skis? I'd like to be able to bring 2 set of skis onto the mountain in the morning and swap out of skis during the day depending on conditions and the group I'm skiing with.

2. Is there an open/recreational race course on mountain if I want to hit some gates, and if so when is it open and what kind of course is it? I'm not familiar with course standards in japan.

Thanks!!

Was the thief Japanese?

Not sure about the first one because whoever it was got away cleanly. The second guy that my friend caught was Japanese. Apparently the police later found an accomplice with a van full of stolen boards.

I always put mine furtherest from the road or exits to the area. you see many with locks tho.

to me it seems to be the mindless tourists who accidently take the wrong set. a 140cm tall girl taking my 190cm skis right in front of me didn't seem to realize anything was out of place.

a couple of companies run valet services for their guests. you may be able to still be able to pay for this service if youre not with them.

at Hirafu the King and Ace restaurants halfway up the hill have ski racks also. you could bring them up first run and leave/lock them there.

might make things more secure, cept you'll probably look the thief at the end of the day.

on the weekends you can sometimes see a bit of a small & short race setup for the ski club kids. especially during night ski.

im pretty sure theyre not for the public, but theyre often empty and unattended while they lift up for another lap.

Thanks guys!!!

Do the ski racks take standard size locks (i.e. like Master u-shape locks)?

I'll definitely need to lock my skis since one of the pairs is a custom job which I'd be crushed to lose on the mountain :(

Sounds like a race course will be hard to come by. I'd feel bad about gatecrashing (no pun in intended) a ski school course without permission....I'll just plan on freeskiing while i'm out there.

Thanks guys!!!

Do the ski racks take standard size locks (i.e. like Master u-shape locks)?

I'll definitely need to lock my skis since one of the pairs is a custom job which I'd be crushed to lose on the mountain :(

Sounds like a race course will be hard to come by. I'd feel bad about gatecrashing (no pun in intended) a ski school course without permission....I'll just plan on freeskiing while i'm out there.

ski racks are just that.....racks.........no particular added part to attach a lock to AFAIK. The ski locks that I see are like bike chains, a wire that loops around the rack frame and through the binding (this is on boards) and click into place. I haven't seen any u-shaped locks being used but then I haven't really been looking out for them, perhaps other people have seen them

A U shaped lock that is not flexible would be difficult to use.

I think you are thinking of the kind of storage racks you see at the base of some resorts (I know they have them at Thredbo and you rent them for the day/week where they lock over the front and your padlock them.

Nothing like that here. Just the kind of rack that your rest your board on. With the locks tubby described you loop through a binding and either attach to another board/ski (kinda hard to steal attached kit without sending up warning signals) or around the central bar.

Come to think of it, I have seen ski racks with keys in them.....you deposit some money into it and it opens.....they are quite rare though, certainly not everywhere and I think it's a one time open only affair

thanks all!

i ordered one of these locks...they got pretty good reviews: https://safeman.de/index.php

teikiatsulover, haven't decided what to bring yet but am thinking head i.supershape magnums for carving/coaching, and either DPS wailers (for 2 ski quiver) or Rossi Soul 7's plus Wagner 120's (for 3 ski quiver).

i'm a bit reluctant to leave custom wagners lying around the base, so i might go with the 2-ski combo.

hope you guys in jp have a great early season \m/