Snow Dude's 2013-14 ski thread (Sun Meadows, Kiyosato, Yamanashi)

I thought it would be nice to make a ski thread as I will be visiting my local resort a lot this year and document the weather/ snow conditions, etc each time I go as a reference for others and as a record for me.

I will also (sometimes) add photos that I take at the resort.

It is a small resort and has 10 courses with the longest being about 1600 metres top to bottom.

The reason I go there, is it is about 20 mins from my house, it is somewhere I have been going for years now and I like the area/ski resort and we have friends who go there too.

Day 1 : 7th Dec 2013 (Opening day) Just one lower course was open with mostly man made snow. Weather was mostly sunny, but very windy peaked out at about +1oC that day. Almost empty!

Day 2 : 8th Dec 2013 Same as above really!

Day 3 : 21st Dec 2013 Two thirds open all natural snow, soft powdery snow, sunny, nice conditions, although clouded up in the afternoon. Quite a few people, but never crowded. Top to bottom skiing.

Day 4: 22nd Dec 2013 It snowed up to about 8cm or so the night before so was treated to fresh pow on top of the already soft snow and sunny sky in the morning. The snow remained soft and powdery the whole day and were plenty of powder pockets to be found all day, albeit chopped up.

Around lunch time onward it clouded over and some light snow fell for a while before turning sunny again More people today..

A great day was had by all.

I will add some photos later, takes too long download from my phone now.

Day 5: 25th Dec 2013 Woke up to absolutely crystal clear blue sky, which lasted the whole day, but no new snow, calm conditions. The snow was soft and powdery on the sun facing slopes and a bit hard packed with icy patches on the sheltered slopes, especially as the temps didn't get above -6 today.

Basically a really nice day on the slopes, although would like some new snow. Looks like tomorrow afternoon onwards should give some nice new snow.

I added a few new pics which I took today.

med_gallery_8995_344_246737.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_1246729.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_1700936.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_2950759.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_4416.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_1277655.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_1963454.jpg

Look closely at this photo, what can you see, that normally would not be there during the day?

• Like 1
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it would be nice to make a ski thread as I will be visiting my local resort a lot this year and document the weather/ snow conditions, etc each time I go as a reference for others and as a r

Thanks snow dude, how many times you reckon you'll go?

And....will you make it anywhere else?

I am hoping at least 30-40 times!

Will be going again on the 25,26 and 27th.

I hope to go to one or two other places again this year as well. I would like to go to Myoko or Madarao again I really liked both of those resorts, but will see. Or maybe somewhere new!

Was lucky, no wind fresh snow, sun, but I don't want too much sun though, always want more snow, but yes it is nice to get out on a sunny day after fresh snow. The biggest difference this weekend was the lack of wind, as Kiyosato, and also where I live is very windy almost everyday in winter which can spoil the fun a little, so was a pleasant change.

Nice. So you can see both Yatsugatake and Fujisan from there?

Yes, as Sun Meadows is actually on Mt. Akadake, which is the highest part//peak of the Yatsugatake mountain range. So when your on the resort the mountains directly around the resort are part of Yatsugatake.

Day 5: 25th Dec 2013 Woke up to absolutely crystal clear blue sky, which lasted the whole day, but no new snow, calm conditions. The snow was soft and powdery on the sun facing slopes and a bit hard packed with icy patches on the sheltered slopes, especially as the temps didn't get above -6 today.

Basically a really nice day on the slopes, although would like some new snow. Looks like tomorrow afternoon onwards should give some nice new snow.

I added a few new pics which I took today.

med_gallery_8995_344_246737.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_1246729.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_1700936.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_2950759.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_4416.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_1277655.jpg

med_gallery_8995_344_1963454.jpg

Look closely at this photo, what can you see, that normally would not be there during the day?

It confuses me when the moon does that.

Isn't it supposed to only come out at night? Sounds like a new study subject!

:confused:

Nice photos snowdude. Doesn't look steep, is there any steepness over there?

It confuses me when the moon does that.

Isn't it supposed to only come out at night? Sounds like a new study subject!

:confused:

Nice photos snowdude. Doesn't look steep, is there any steepness over there?

Sometimes you can see the moon during the day but it is strange why.

There are three quite steep courses although the steepest one isnt yet open. Probably the camera sngle makes it look flat.

Ill put up the stats later once I get home.

We are at Sun meadows now.

Day 6: 26th Dec 2013 : Mostly cloudy but bright start, but completely cloudy by lunch time with a flat light. Snow conditions much like yesterday really. The snow remained good until about 2pm in which it started freezing over in various spots, because of the low temps. We finished around 2:30pm anyway.

It was another fun day, but waiting for the new snow to slide in tomorrow.

At the moment I have wet snow falling outside my house, so it will be nice dry snow falling up at Sun meadows, so looking forward to the new snow tomorrow.

As with the other days it has been really empty and only getting a little crowded for a couple of hours between 10-12 when there are lessons going on, otherwise not many people around, which is great it allows us to accommodate as much of the courses as we want.

Did not bother with pics today, nothing new to take, but hopefully tomorrow with fresh snow my camera will be back in action.