Hello!

During the end of January, Im going to drive from Aomori prefecture to Nagano. On the way I would like to hit some side country snowboarding any recomandations? Also, I never been to Nagano before so any good backcountry mountains? Up in the north I snowboard around Hakkoda. Thanks In advance.

For backcountry in Hakuba go to the top of Happone or Goryu and hike out. The sky is the limit but obviously some good local knowledge and a safe approach are essential for these options. For easily resort accessed side country I think anywhere is fine. Helps to have a clear day for scoping it out. Goryu/47 have traditionally been pretty inflexible about sidecountry but that may have changed.

Hakuba has some very dangerous sidecountry, I am not familiar with the terrain but my avalanche course teacher lives there and has seen many big slides and people die in hakuba sidecountry.

Stick to low angle slopes and dont go out after big storms

From Aomori, driving pass Sendai, turning West at Lake Iwashiro around Fukushima towards the sea of Japan coast, and down to Nagano; what would be a good stop around that route? I like powder, not really impressed at all by groomed slopes. I'm hoping I can find something half way down to break the drive down into two days.

From Aomori, driving pass Sendai, turning West at Lake Iwashiro around Fukushima towards the sea of Japan coast, and down to Nagano; what would be a good stop around that route? I like powder, not really impressed at all by groomed slopes. I'm hoping I can find something half way down to break the drive down into two days.

Nekoma?

(Not familiar with the off-piste myself -- Gary could say more.)