I think there was a thread like this before, but I think some of the more popular places are (not been to them all myself)

Tenjindaira, Kawaba, Houdaigi, Marunuma Kogen

I`d say go with Tanbara(if you don`t mind mid-sized ski areas), off Numata IC. It`s just SO convenient to get there from Tokyo. My friends and I tried out Hotaka Bokujo(same highway exit but on the other side and a bit more of delicate driving)last weekend and it wasn`t bad either. Avoid Tenjindaira like the plague! mad.gif

I "studied" the course map at Hodaigi and decided it may not be worth going cuz 1) their lifts are all pretty short, 2) it comes off to me as a family oriented ski area which means I`ll likely be forced to play dodgeball with dangerous kids, 3) although they announced from this season boarders are allowed everywhere I found out they`re only gonna let you get on some of the lifts and 4) Numata IC is closer.

About Malnuma(that`s how they spell it...trying to be hip and all), it`s so damn far out there(it`s almost to Tochigi)that the long drive just turns me off. And that place is so urusai(fussy)about us boarders that they require we take a safety lesson first(waste of my precious time), then pay an extra 1000yen for what they call a license(waste of my hard earned money). What a joke! I`m not saying you won`t have fun there but it`s definitely not my cup of tea.

Snobo, Malnuma is one place I love to hate. Haven't been there, but their website just makes me wild with annoyance.

I see you're not an initiate of the cult of Tenjidaira. Why not? (Not been there either, but you hear these weird things about the place...)

Worked at Kawaba great trees. resort named katashina Not Katashina kogen.

Hike off the top lift and drop back down through the trees to the resort. You can take this line pretty far. From the top you can see the backcountry possiblities. Beacon and gear are a must but the resort is pretty open to people who tour. Great veiw from the top you can see over to Kawaba Japanese sea and Alps.

Manza has great snow and onsen.

There are few young people and some classic style skier.

It's nice to see old people enjoy skiing!

I can't say the best resort to go but I love there.

Try sobako pancakes for breakfast at the Prince Hotel!

Yeah I was chatting with some pretty fly Japanese boarder chicks up at Myoko and they told me they like Manza...didn`t give me much detail, though. Ocean, I dislike Tenjindaira for several reasons(did you get a chance to read my earlier post?). For one the place is hella expensive and you must hike up to the ropeway station from the parking structure. The courses are WAY short and the snow wasn`t impressive at all even though they advertised it as "powder" on their web site. Oh, and I do not put up with rude jijis doing their winter baito at ski areas either! Shall I mention their famous 1800yen curry&rice again?