i know this questions sound dumb, and in part it is, but still...

all of my friends in japan have snowshoes, i rented em the past year, but this year i bought a splitboard. the point is i didn't try it yet, cause season is bad so far in italy, so even if i have a couple of weeks before leaving i will be pretty much new to skinning when i come to japan.

now the tradeoff: i found a cheap flight that has 20kg limit on baggages. with my reg board, my split, all the avi stuff, outerwear etc i'm pretty much overweight. So i could buy snowshoes, leave the split at home and go with the flow.

or, i could buy a more expensive flight ticket, and with the extra 3kg fit all my stuff with the split.

the difference in price is pretty much the cost of snowshoes.

so, besides all of this considerations, what you think is better for hiking in japanese conditions? and if i go with the split, i could have problems following the routes my friends with snowshoes will choose? this info could help my choice, not having tried to skin yet i really can't figure it out, and i heard it depends on conditions...

As for the route, you cant really follow a snow shoe track on a split. It will be too direct, too steep and possibly over icy snow up high where without crampons you will start sliding backwards.

They both have advantages (i just landed in japan with both) but in a group of snow shoers a split will more than likely suck unless you are covering a lot of ground.

I like my snowshoes but have also never used a split board. Are split boards much easier? Or is it just the fact that you are not carrying your snowboard?

depends what you're doing.

every company ive seen wont even allow you to do multiday tours if you're a snowshoer. thats because theyre so slow and inefficient in covering ground.

if however you're only ever going to do short 1 or 2 hour hikes then id probably stick with shoes.

• Like 1

Shoes will be best for a lot of places in hokkaido.

Where will you be using them?

Around Niseko, so Yotei, Yoichi, Annupuri bc, then Rishiri, Kurodake, and maybe Asahidake.

Mostly short hikes, 2 hours or so, a few longer ones but always daily tours.

From what you all say it looks like snowshoes is the way to go... in the meanwhile i asked to my local friend and they suggested me the same, they're all snowshoers so having the same tool sounds the smart move

• 1 month later...

How is your back? I love my split now after getting into it. But i chose to bring shoes on my two week Japan trip because I hope to spend most of the time off piste and quick acces slackcountry so less important for effeciency. I will soon remember the awkwardness of shoes but oh well. Also keep in mind splitboards break down swiftly....two seasonmax because if flex when upptracking and so if you are doing alit of off piste the solid board will hold up better and reality is a

better ride too