When you know people are lying...

They were supposed to do something.

They didn't.

You follow up.

They come up with a bull story that you actually know is made up and a wriggle.

Question is, do you forgive and let them off or press the point and show them you know they are bullshitting?

Depends on what it is, why they were lying about not doing it and what kind of relationship you want to have with them in the future.

Last night at a function I called my best friend to check if she was still coming as she was late.

Her partner answered and was surprised to hear from me, although she covered with "yes, yes, on my way, it has been a hell of a day", I knew her voice - she had forgotten!

We all ignored it and lavished the love. She ended up fessing up.

But we like her. And want to stay friends. And no one was hurt except her pride.

On the other hand if someone costs you (and it has happened to us recently in a sporting comp) by not doing their job and then tries to wriggle out of it.

I say go for the jugular - make sure it never happens again!

Agree, depends on the level of their lie and what it's for. Is it a white lie? Did they screw up big time and are just trying to cover their ass? Personally, I can handle people easier if they just come out with it and admit they screwed up rather than BSing me. Of course, if they're Japanese and you're dealing with the whole Tatemae stuff that goes on and they're actually meaning something else, then that's a whole new ball game as that can be hard to read sometimes.

Depends, but I'd rather someone tell me straight out that they Fcked up or what ever than try to give me a load of BS. If I fck up or got something wrong I will tell the person out right I hate all this trying to riggle out of it crap. I have no problem admitting or telling someone I have done something wrong/made a mistake, so I do expect the same from others!