I enjoy drinking hard stuff in the winter, but usually winter only as I'd prefer something cold to cool me down when it's hot outside and I don't drink this stuff on the rocks or mixed because I think it takes away from the flavor. So, I've been enjoying:

12 year Jameson

12 year Macallan

17 year Hibiki

10 year Talisker

And 16 year Lagavulin

Just my small collection and not very impressive, but I enjoy a nice drink or two in the evenings, and sometimes in the afternoon too! So, what do you drink? Got any recommendations for next time I'm up for a bottle?

Talisker is an excellent drop. Have a bottle of glenlivet 15 yo French oak which is smooth an mellow, and my go to bottle is glenfiddich 12yo.

I have recently been enjoying American rye whiskey, particularly in a whiskey sour or a sazerac.

I don't like it either and sorry to mess up the thread with all of this but.

For the ones that like it, did you always like it or did it take a while to get to like it?

Rach, I drank things like Jack&coke in college, and even drank one bottle one night which had me all over the show and basically put me off that stuff until the last five plus years or so. I've always loved tequila and really enjoy shooters with it, but it has taken me quite a long time before I'd even consider having something like this. My dad has an amazing collection which has had a huge influence on me when I go back. He's got 50-60 bottles of all sorts of top shelf bottles. I'm not knowledgeable about it at all. I just enjoy a nice drink, so I try to learn from my friends and try new types of scotch/whisky. The Pig&Whistle at Shijo Keihan in Kyoto has one of the better collections I've seen around, and the last time I went to there the guy working the counter was extremely knowledgeable, so my friend and I talked with him for a while. I don't like the stuff outside of winter much, but like how it warms me up, and the taste of it.

Ardbeg is pretty good. But I think Laphroaig has it sewn up as the king of Islay whiskies. I can't think of a peatier whisky.

Never got into whisky until a tasting a few years ago, where the differences started to become clear. Also, with age comes more desire for subtle flavors (rather than just alcohol content), which can be found with whiskies and sake.

Irish tend to be very mild and subtle, tasting somewhat like vanilla. Definitely not bad, though mostly as a break from more complex Scottish whiskies. Japanese whiskies are more in the Scottish style, with Nikka (esp. Yoichi) leaning towards the peatier styles, and Suntory (Hibiki, Yamazaki and the ilk) leaning towards more "fruity" styles. Suntory whiskies, in particular, always taste like bananas to me.