Did you not research those things before you booked? ;)

Look out for the flats, seems to be a theme with snowboarders there.

I researched some stuff but its nice to hear some things from people that have been there. But thanks for the advice on keeping eye out for the flats

Bring poles. I saw a number of boarders carrying collapsible poles to use in the sight-seeing areas (which are the only real problem areas I could see for boarders). My kid just borrowed my poles as needed.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some pics from Zao this season, will do my best! Last few days the snow has arrived.        

Take a look at the map of the place and try to work out where there's some flat. The one I can remember is getting from the 'left side' of the mountain over to Utopia (?). Even on skis and getting some speed up, there was a bit of walking involved. Sorry that isn't more descriptive!

Sadly I was there the day before yesterday and there were no monsters!! I got almost to the very top (1 lift short) but had to turn around due to conditions.

The rain has melted them all away. My eyes rained too...

Monsters have recovered a bit actually.

It's not fun up there when there's huge winds even if the ropeway is open. Best to try and come when nicer weather is forecast -- if you can, of course.

I have been to Zao twice this year and it has been really good on each occasion. I put this down to only choosing to go when there has been practically no wind and a good dump of snow the night before.

However, I have a question for Ilovezao.

I have been going to Zao for the last nine years, so i know it pretty well, but I have only ridden "The Wall" once, about eight years ago when it was ice. Since that time it has never been open on subsequent visits. IloveZao, how often do they open it and when they do open it what are the conditions like?

While I am at it...why do not they put maps of Zao on the hooded lifts, so that people can discern where they are on the mountain while heading up the mountain? Zao is a ski resort that would make most maze makers proud, so a map on the lifts would go a long way. I think I might write to Zao and suggest they do this.

I want to know some information on the so called 10km run or 9km run. Where abouts is the start and where is the finish? Does this run include some relatively flat bits where boards might stop?

?

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure you start at the top of the mountain (near the buddha) and then head down the Zangezaka - Juhyougen Course, which leads into Utopia. This is the only place for snowboarders, which might cause them to get off their board, but if you "gun it" from the top of Sailer Course you should be fine.

From Utopia you just follow your nose as it connects to the Hyakumannin Slope, which leads onto the Omori Giant Course, which eventually leads you to Omori Slope or whatever course you want to take.

As far as I know this is the 9/8 km course, which does not feel quite so long. As a snowboarder I quite enjoy doing it, but only when visibility is good. Skiiers must absolutely love it because there are some places where they can really pick up some speed.

Oh yeah you finish at Omori Parking.