Hey everyone, I recently arrived in Japan and I'm looking forward to this winter season. I was wondering if anyone has information about transportation options from Osaka to Nagano or Gifu or even other places? Is there anything cheap? I'm really interested in getting to Shiga Kogen or Hakuba this season. It seems traveling here is a bit expensive though. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Thank you. I will look into that. I have been hearing from others as well that the bus might be the best way to go. Oh and I forgot to ask another question. Is it frowned upon (or illegal) to just camp out near the ski resorts here? It's my usual habit to ski and camp wherever I go.

you should be able to find bus brochures in any of the travel agents dotted around......they usually include day return trip plus lift ticket. From the Tokyo area, most bus packs for a day return were about 11-12k and under......I dunno about the Osaka area though

From Osaka, Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Nagano (i think).

Change to train to Matsumoto.

Change to local train to Hakuba.

Don't know about buses from Osaka.

Googled this. from Evergreen.

"Osaka & Nagoya to Hakuba by Bus

Highway Bus to Matsumoto then Train to Hakuba

1 A. From Osaka: Alpico Bus Info

1 B. From Nagoya: Alpico Bus Info (Meitetsu Bus Center is at Nagoya Station)

2. Transfer in Matsumoto to the Oito line bound for Shinano-Omachi and Hakuba (some of these connections have a long wait in Shinano-Omachi). "

That's just the highway buses I think.....it won't be a package including ur lift pass. Travel agents buses will be the full pack and there'll be no changing.....direct to resort.

RE the Shink, JR do shink deals from Tokyo so I assume they'll do the same from Osaka....includes day return shink ticket, bus transfer from Nagano station to resort and lift pass

Train connection would be Shinkansen to Nagoya, then Ltd Exp trains to Gifu or Nagao destinations.

Shin Osaka to Hakuba, for example, would run you Y11,750 for 0700 departure, 1128 arrival -- not a day trip IMHO.

Shin Osaka to Myoko Kogen: would run you Y10,910 for 0700 departure, 1208 arrival -- ditto

There should be relatively cheap overnight bus trips (if that's your thing) to major resorts, and probably some inexpensive day trips to closer areas.

To get to nagano is obviously (as people mentioned) a bit of a pain in the nuts because of the whole japanese alps thing forcing you to either go kanazawa to joetsu/naoetsu and then south, or to nagano then north. Bus is better but youre likely gonna need someone with a bit of japanese skill to help you out. In all my time, i never met a single JTB person who could speak even passing English let alone be in a position to explain anything to you. Then again, i didnt live in tokyo or osaka....

You could also look into takasu and dynaland as weekend options if need be. I assume youve moved here and will be doing the trip a few times rather than just doing this as a one off. :) Maybe save the holidays and long weekends for the hakuba trips. Train there is as kokodoko says, from MATUSMOTOOOOOOOO not from nagano. Get train to nagoya, go to shin kiba i think it was rather than into the heart of nagano itself, grab the ltd express direct to matsumoto, then get the train to shin oomachi then the train to kamishiro for Goryu.

You can, if youre running the seishun 18 kippu ticket get the local if you time it right. Its a full day of travel, but the local rapid leaves nagoya around 1pm. You get to nakatsugawa around 3. You then get the train to matsumoto from 4-6.30ish then its the train to kamishiro (which is in reality no stops despite having to change at shinoomachi) which arrives around 8.30ish. If youre doing holiday trips and have a week or so, a day on the trains might be alright. Can do it for about 2000 yen :)

Wow! Thank you all so much for the advice. Until I can convince my wife to move to Nagano I will be taking a bus since it is cheapest. Someday I hope to get a car here but that might be a few years down the road. I think my weekend trips will have to be in Shiga at places like Okuibuki and Hyounosen area in Hyogo. Thanks for answering my camping question too. I'm pretty much a ghost when it comes to camping so I can avoid those funny looks. Nothing like a ski in/out campsite!

I completely agree with some others, that bus is the way to go if you're on a budget! Most cities have very cheap day trips, so I am guessing being where you are you would be able to find plenty like that, which are often much cheaper than trying to do it yourself without a car. Enjoy!!

Usually they are

You can do a lucky pick style for really cheap.....3000-4000¥. They give u a list of ski Jo's that are possibilities but you don't know which one until u get to the bus. I've never done it as I like to know where I'm going but if ur not so fussy it'd be a good cheap way to get on the snow

Mate, reading your post inspired me to stop lurking and post on SJ for the first time in a while. I used to catch the night bus (and prior to that the now defunct JR train) from Osaka to Hakuba heaps up to about 10 years ago. Many good memories of those times despite the whole bus thing getting pretty old after doing it up to 10 times a season...

Anyways I asked my wife to do a bit if a search for bus companies and a Japanese site called Bus Channel showed a company called Orion offering one way trips from Osaka to Hakuba Goryu for 5,500 yen. That was about the cheapest range of price that I can remember. Leaves Osaka at 9:30PM and gets to Goryu at 5:30AM. Would post the link but not sure if that's OK with forum policy so maybe you could PM me. This kind of company would be your best cheapy option. I used to get a kaisuken bus pass which was four return trips and super cheap, so if you have the Japanese ability to do so or someone to help there will be great bargins to be had. JTB office in JR Umeda station would be another option but they will charge more I think. One advantage is that you could probably get it sorted there with minimal Japanese.

One thing about Hakuba is that it is quite spread out and finding good camping spots close to where you want to ski could be a bit of a mission without a car. Hakuba Goryu used to have a very cheap tatami room sleeping arrangement, so that could be worth checking. If you did that or stayed in a backpackers somewhere for the first trip you could then suss out a camping spot for the next time. Good luck with all that.

For my money Hachi Kita is a the best relatively close spot within day trip distance of Osaka- Gifu resorts are just a little too far IMO anyou may as well go to Hakuba for the weekend inste. I used to go there quite a bit by car but friends have said the day trip by bus is not so great.

Mate, reading your post inspired me to stop lurking and post on SJ for the first time in a while. I used to catch the night bus (and prior to that the now defunct JR train) from Osaka to Hakuba heaps up to about 10 years ago. Many good memories of those times despite the whole bus thing getting pretty old after doing it up to 10 times a season...

Anyways I asked my wife to do a bit if a search for bus companies and a Japanese site called Bus Channel showed a company called Orion offering one way trips from Osaka to Hakuba Goryu for 5,500 yen. That was about the cheapest range of price that I can remember. Leaves Osaka at 9:30PM and gets to Goryu at 5:30AM. Would post the link but not sure if that's OK with forum policy so maybe you could PM me. This kind of company would be your best cheapy option. I used to get a kaisuken bus pass which was four return trips and super cheap, so if you have the Japanese ability to do so or someone to help there will be great bargins to be had. JTB office in JR Umeda station would be another option but they will charge more I think. One advantage is that you could probably get it sorted there with minimal Japanese.

One thing about Hakuba is that it is quite spread out and finding good camping spots close to where you want to ski could be a bit of a mission without a car. Hakuba Goryu used to have a very cheap tatami room sleeping arrangement, so that could be worth checking. If you did that or stayed in a backpackers somewhere for the first trip you could then suss out a camping spot for the next time. Good luck with all that.

For my money Hachi Kita is a the best relatively close spot within day trip distance of Osaka- Gifu resorts are just a little too far IMO anyou may as well go to Hakuba for the weekend inste. I used to go there quite a bit by car but friends have said the day trip by bus is not so great.

Thank you and your wife for that information. I will look into that as well. I will check out Hakuba on the map and start searching for a suitable place to camp. Your'e idea of staying at a backpacking hostel is a good idea for the first trip. I'm glad you are no longer a lurker in these forums!

I have to say I'm impressed by the sense of community on this site. I always thought that skiers and riders were the best kind of people but I am just blown away by everybody's willingness to help. I don't know how to thank you all properly but I will promise to post photos (I specialize in adventure sports and landscape photography) and stories from my skiing adventures in here in Japan. Hope to meet some of you on the mountain sometime.

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi BakCntrySkier and welcome, glad you like it here.

Hope you can enjoy yourself out there and look forward to seeing your stuff, hope you can make use of the site.

Have fun.

Try looking around the north side of Iimori car park in the forest. Beware of the wild life.They look like big rackcoons. There is also some big goats. Both could make a mess of your camp when your on the slopes

Try snowclub.jp - I think you can specify Osaka as a starting point (I've booked a January trip to Tsugaike from Nagoya through them)

Also, my opinion might be worthless because I'm basically a boarding newbie, but Gifu would probably be significantly easier and quicker to get to for you. Daytrips might then be realistic.