Hey, I was planning to make a snowboard trip for Dec 23-25, and was thinking about heading up to Hakuba (I'm coming from Osaka). But I just checked, and it seems like they haven't gotten much snowfall yet. Do you think it would be decent by xmas?

If not, could you recommend any places that might be better at that time?

Also, I would love some advice on where/how to book transport to there and accomodation. I don't drive, so it will need to be bus/train.

Thanks a lot!!!

Usually is ok but probably won't be the nipple deep stuff you dream of. Depends on when the next big storm kicks in. Go down to JR View, travel agents in the train stations and they will have train deals.....they may also have bus deals. Failing that, any travel agent should have the bus brochures....go in and point to where u wanna go

I really hope there is good snow. Just depends on the next couple of weeks. This weekend looks good, but after that who knows. Are you driving or taking the train? I think Charmant Hiuchi in Niigata gets more snow then any other place in the area , but it's not as easy to get to.

I guess this all depends on your definition of "decent", but it looks like Nagano will be getting a lot of snow from tonight onwards. Check the reports to see who gets how much. It sounds like Hakuba's had the most snow so far in the general region, but that could change with this storm.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into bus companies I guess, since I am not driving, and it seems easier than the trains.

Message to Admin (SJ-David: hey, I got a message from you about posting the same message 3 times? Sorry, but I definitely did not do that, so maybe you have a problem with the system?)

You can ride down to the skyline at the moment. There is lots of snow from mid mountain up. the upper areas 40 cms above the lifts maybe 30 new to around 1000 meters depending on aspect. 545-1.jpg

Damn rider69 is that pic taken this year? because I just wanna get naked and ride that sexy glory.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into bus companies I guess, since I am not driving, and it seems easier than the trains.

I am planning a couple of bus trips this year from Kansai area. The night bus tours are the best value for money in my opinion. From Kansai we don't have so many cheap shinkansen deals. Hopefully that will change when the new hokuriku line opens. My trips are all from a pamphlet froma travel agent. You can find some great deals if you don't mind traveling on a cramp night bus.

That picture was taken today in the morning. 2 different friends hiked up above the lifts and both got 1000vert meters of fast pow. Needless to say im a bit jealous,,,,, bt I have 5 half days in a row from tomorrow! That picture was from kurobishia about 1600 meters up. Tons of snow at that level and up this year. The bottom well lets ust say thats impossible.

I am planning a couple of bus trips this year from Kansai area. The night bus tours are the best value for money in my opinion. From Kansai we don't have so many cheap shinkansen deals. Hopefully that will change when the new hokuriku line opens. My trips are all from a pamphlet froma travel agent. You can find some great deals if you don't mind traveling on a cramp night bus.

Thanks I'll check some out.

If you find any cheap deals let me know :)

Hey, I was planning to make a snowboard trip for Dec 23-25, and was thinking about heading up to Hakuba (I'm coming from Osaka). But I just checked, and it seems like they haven't gotten much snowfall yet. Do you think it would be decent by xmas?

I reckon it'll be ok.

;)