Hi Everyone

Just about to book an airfare from Perth ( where it will be 40deg's C in a few days ) and I need some help with one of the areas I would like to get to on this trip.

Where should I base myself to experience the best bits of these area's

Plan on staying for about a week or so, happy to move around if I need to.

48yr old Snowboarder who likes to ride in the trees & powder if the legs & body hold up.

have done an annual trip for a few years so am aware of Japan's quirks, not looking to party but somewhere that has a small variety of eatery's & maybe a bar.

recommendations for accommodation would be appreciated

cheers

Kagura is actually in Yuzawa town.

I would definitely base myself near the centre of Yuzawa probably.

From there, you could get to Kagura, as well as all of the other places in Yuzawa and neighboring Minamiuonuma.

Well, apart from the fact that it isn't very nice and is overpriced, Naeba Prince is a fair way from Yuzawa - so it's only good if you want to stick at Naeba and maybe Kagura.

The other way round is different because you are still close to Kagura, can still go to Naeba, but also can choose from all the places around Yuzawa - and there's more to choose from in terms of restaurants.

So I definitely wouldn't recommend Naeba Prince.

shuttle buses to resorts are easy peasy and a few of them are free........not Kagura/Naeba though! :(

All leave in and around the station and the local buses that service various resorts have stops dotted around town (as you'd expect). As Muika said, stay near the centre of town and then you could pick n choose from a whole bunch of resorts depending on the weather.

Only stayed at Ludens during Golden Week, when the attached ski area was already closed. Was skiing at Kagura at the time. They had some cheap deal going, as I recall. Classic '70s geometrical concrete architecture cum onsen cum ping-pong table in view of the dining hall. Similar vibe to the older wing of Listel Ski Fantasia.

When we pulled in to the parking lot, one of the employees came out and was trying to sell us on the summer fishing possibilities in the stream that passes by there. Have to admit I'm a sucker for that kind of local loyalty. :thumbsup:

I'd stay there again if in the area.