• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm glad some of my friends drive though

Ah yes driving up close. Hate that. If I'm in a bad mood I'll drive slowly on purpose. Then let them pass and then give them more of the same. I'm not usually in such a bad mood.

Students on bicycles riding against the flow of traffic (or anybody for that matter), people who pull out in front of you without looking and force you to slam on the breaks, and people who sit in the right hand lane of the highway for absolutely no reason all give me a great reason for making sure my high beams and my horn work - personally I like a 20 second horn when given the opportunity ;)

Cyclists just cycling all over the place expecting car drivers to come to a sudden stop even if they run straight in front of you, people cutting corners, people who can't park their cars both straight and evenly between the parking lines all really piss me off. People driving 20km along an open road that has a solid yellow line on so although you can over take them easily you can't actually over take them because the road rules say you can't unless it is a dotted yellow, and they won't pull over, if it is at night they get my high beams in the rear window until they decide that pulling over would be a wise choice, especially as my car has those defuser lights or what ever they are called that amplify the brightness of the already really bright lights.

Driving at LESS THAN 20KMH! on quiet open but narrow and windy country roads - but with kms of visibility and no-one else around - and not pulling over to let an aggitated me overtake.

Blood boil time.

I can't fathom why anyone would want to drive at 10-15kmh.

It's just silly.

I'm loving the vitriol in this thread here...Keep it up fellas. Ladies... feel free to vent as well.. :wave:

How about the dudes on scooters that sneak up the side of you while waiting for the light to change only to go 30km/h in front of you making YOU go around them again. When driving the big lummox I have it's a real pain. :mad:

Oh yes the speed limits here FTF. Dont get me started on speed limits.

80 on a motorway WTF. I can cycle faster.

Modern day cars are designed to go way over 80 and to be able to stop quickly from high speeds too.

The speed limits we have today were actually set not long after the first proper cars came on the roads like about 90+ years ago.

So' date=' every morning I have to merge onto Route 1 which is always bumper to bumper and hardly moving. The merge lane is long so each car is merging into traffic one by one in turn... What is it with the driver on the main route who is bound and determined NOT to let you in despite the fact that traffic is literally going 4kms/h. This morning some cheeky little douche in a k car decides to play chicken with me and not let me in. Nope....he isn't backing off and I almost hit him and my bumper is right at his window....balls.. [/quote']

I live one block back from a highway that goes bumper to bumper parking lot style every peak hour.

The only way out of the side street is if someone lets you in, and the only way to turn right into my street is if the silly f*ckers leave a gap (both lanes of them). You would not believe how many jokers do not want to give up that car length or two!

not sure about that, but this from Japan Times, doesn't explain it either:

A critical role for the Shin-Tomei

The first section of the Shin-Tomei Expressway opened on April 14 in Shizuoka Prefecture, a 162-km stretch between Gotenba and Mikkabi junctions. The expressway will eventually link Tokyo and Nagoya when it is completed in 2020. The Shin Tomei runs through areas that are about 10 km more inland than the Tomei Expressway, currently the primary roadway linking Tokyo and Nagoya.

Hugging the coast for some of its length, the Tomei is vulnerable to strong tremors, tsunamis and high tides. The 3/11 earthquake and tsunami caused the temporary closure of a section of the Tomei between the Fuji and Shimizu interchanges in Shizuoka Prefecture. The Shin Tomei’s Gotenba-Mikkabi section will serve as a vital detour if the Tomei is damaged by a major earthquake or tsunami, preventing a situation in which trunk traffic routes connecting eastern and western Japan are paralyzed due to a major disaster. The Shin Tomei is also designed to better cope with emergencies. It has heliports at 12 places, compared with just two on the Tomei.

According to a survey by Central Nippon Expressway Co. and the Chubu Regional Bureau of Economy, Trade and Industry, whose results were made public April 11, 51 percent of the enterprises surveyed said that they are looking forward to using the Shin Tomei when traffic jams or accidents occur on the Tomei. Many enterprises also noted that existing routes tend to have heavy traffic jams on a regular basis. Forty-nine percent of enterprises surveyed said that they think the Shin Tomei will serve as a useful detour when disasters shut down existing routes.

Central Nippon Expressway Co. said that with the opening of Shin Tomei’s Gotenba-Mikkabi section the traffic volume between Gotenba and Mikkabi will increase from the current 74,000 vehicles a day (using the Tomei alone) to 83,000 vehicles a day (using both the Tomei and the Shin Tomei), increasing revenue by ¥9 billion a year.

While the Shin Tomei’s usefulness is undeniable, vehicles traveling from Nagoya to Tohoku after the Shin Tomei’s completion will likely get caught up in terrible traffic jams on Tokyo’s Metropolitan Expressway. Therefore, the improvement of expressways in the Tokyo metropolitan area will become all the more important to ensure that traffic flows smoothly through the nation’s capital to points beyond

OK, this from NEC

Twenty-First Century Super Highway Constructed with New Technology

A SUPER HIGHWAY

DESIGNED FOR MAXIMUM

SPEED LIMIT OF 140 km/hr.

Now, a quarter-century after the completion of the Tomei and Meishin Expressways, the construction of the New Tomei and Meishin Expressways is about to swing into full gear.

Since opening in 1969 the total number of vehicles to travel on the Tomei and Meishin expressways amounts to about 3 billion. As a road artery serving the Tokaido Megalopolis, the expressways have contributed much to Japan's economic growth and social development. However, urban traffic congestion resulting from an increase in traffic volume has caused the expressways to lose their capacity to provide smooth, speedy transit. Therefore, this new project was planned as a drastic measure to recover this capacity.

The new Tomei and Meishin Expressways were planned as national expressways under a comprehensive national land development plan. They have a total combined length of about 490 km, and consist of the New Tomei Expressway between Tokyo and Nagoya, with a total length of about 320 km, and the New Meishin Expressway between Nagoya and Kobe, with a total length of about 170 km. Of the expressway sections, the construction of three sections with a total length of about 303 km has already commenced. As a super highway in the 21st century, to assure safer and more comfortable high-speed transit, the six-lane highways are designed for maximum speeds of 140 km/hr. throughout the entire system, excluding urban sections, thus linking Tokyo with Kobe in about four hours. Classifying the entire expressway by type of road structure, bridge sections account for 40%, tunnels 20%, and earthworks 40%, bridges and tunnels making up a larger portion compared to existing expressways due to the mountainous nature of the new route.