So I am struggling to find appropriate off piste insurance, especially as I am no longer resident in the UK (a lot of UK insurers require at least 2 months in the UK per year) . Does anyone know of insurance specifically for skiing for japanese residents? I don't want health insurance as well, just for accident and injury.

Cheers

I've been finding that most insurance companies cover you as long as your doing a guided tour.

If you're not doing a guided tour they don't cover you! It's so annoying!

I need some suggestions as to companies that cover backcountry.

The ideal would be something similar to the situation in Europe where you can buy cover specifically for backcountry from mountaineering/ski associations.

I will not be using a guide and am really not sure about whether I am eligible for regular travel insurance as I haven't spent more than 6 months in one country in the last 7 years. Worldnomads works for me ok, but it is expensive and I am unsure about the level of cover provided for off-piste.

They don't seem to like people living or working abroad, and I have already left, so BMC are out. Used to get them until they changed the limits for their annual policies. What do the expats who live in Japan get for rescue insurance? Is it just covered by your regular health insurance?

Mont Bell (had) has insurance for backcountry skiers and hikers. I haven't checked in a few years, but they have offered it before. Might be worth a check?

Thanks a bunch! From Google translate that seems exactly what I am looking for. Just need a japanese housemate to come home so I can check properly.