Hey there, i'm in the decision of buying a new board and i'm not sure what's best for me...

Right now i have a powder specific board, Capita Charlie Slasher 158, wich suited me well the past year even in the deepest days. It's pretty much an ordinary pow board, a bit of taper, a bit of rocker on the nose.

When in Japan i've seen soooo many Gentem swallow tail boards, and i love them!! They look so fun to ride.

The point is, i could get a good deal on a Nitro Quiver Powder, wich is not a Gentem but it's similar concept. No tail, swallow (a bit), wide spoon nose. It's shorter and wider than my actual board. But if i buy it i have to sell my Capita, really no money left, i'm spending so much on trips this year, and safety gear.

So my quiver would be a Capita diy split (i bought an extra Capita for unbelievebly cheap already splitted, but it needs the bindings to be screwed in it), and the Nitro swallow tail.

All good so far, the board is supposed to be super floating and perfect for Hokkaido tree skiing, but in spring i'll hit AK and i'm afraid that's not the good weapon of choice for steeps. I remember a friend of mine having problems landing small cliffs on steeps with a Gentem Spoonfish...

So that's the question: has any of you tried some fish/swallow short 'n wide board on steeps? Are they good on that conditions? Or should i stick to my trusted Charlie Slasher?

i think gentems are super overrated. ive tried the big fish and impossible. hated them both. theyre like 2000 yen to rent in niseko.

i have a charlie and theyre super solid.

if you're that hard on cash that you have to sell your perfectly good charlie which is worth what $150? to get another board, theres something wrong.

it's good to hear i'm not the only one who trusts charlies, but still no one talked about swallow tails on steeps.

the point for me is, i have a super good deal on nitro, 250$, i love the capita but i'd like to experiment with new shapes as well. if i keep the capita what would i end doing? traveling overseas with 3 boards? and if i'm not off the weight limits for flights, would i really switch from board to board that often to justify having 3 different boards on the same trip?

sure i can live without the 150$ of selling my old deck, but i'm at a point i must say ok, i can't spend more on new gear this winter. I got super good deals cause of my job, but still i pay for stuff and i changed pretty much everything, plus safety gear, skins, poles, plane tickets for japan and ak...

anyway i'll probably stick to my capita till i try the nitro or a similar deck first hand, but i'd like to get some impression from users of this type of boards on steeps

I can talk about swallowtails all day. I own about 7 of them.

The work awesome in powder snow, if its steep with powder you will love a swallowtail as it takes a lot of presure off the tail allowing it to sink.

If its hard snow then it really has no influence on your riding at all except for being easier to snap but you have to get sh1t pretty wrong to do that.

ergh... I cant quote for some reason...

ozsnowbum, I wouldn't rule out the Gentems for others based on your own preferences. My husband rides an Impossible and loves it - fell in love at first demo and rides it as his preferred board in most situations.

I however do not like it - way too much of a board for me...it rides me rather than me riding it - I much prefer a hybrid camber board like my Eminence where I am the driver. ;)

Hi

I've not been and I'm guessing, but I don't think AK in spring is about super deep conditions. Steep stuff can sluff out even experienced riders if it is.

Rather than a pure powder board, something stiffer than is solid on windpack and crusts might be better.

If you have 500m plus of vert in one run, conditions can be very different at the bottom compared to the top.