Hello all,

I am new to this website and this is my first post.

Firstly, a little about me. I have been living in Niigata prefecture for about 3 years now, about half way between Niigata city and the Yamagata border.

I usally content myself with the (small) hills around here, the odd day trip down to the Yuzawa area and occasional jaunts slightly further afield like Myoko or Zao.

Since joining this site, I have seen that Mt. Granview is held in very high regard. The short write up in the resorts section of this website describes it as, "The legendary Mt Granview" and numerous people included it on their hit list for this season in another thread.

I have never heard anything about it from local skiers or boarders around here, including those who regularly frequent the Yuzawa and Uonuma areas.

So is everyone going there for, as the name suggests, the great scenery? Or does it have something else to offer like accessible back country or a lenient policy on rope ducking?

Basically, what is the allure of Mt. Granview and why is it legendary?

On a related note, how realistic do people think Kagura's plan for a full open this week (schdeduled for December 7th) is?

It seems at least a few weeks until places up here start to open and I am getting ansy but not willing to do the dawn patrol mission down there to share a few poorly covered slopes with the rest of the early season desperados.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you are willing to share.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is everyone going there for, as the name suggests, the great scenery? Or does it have something else to offer like accessible back country or a lenient policy on rope ducking?

Basically, what is the allure of Mt. Granview and why is it legendary?

All the above.

Plus world-class all-season resort amenities.

On a related note, how realistic do people think Kagura's plan for a full open this week (schdeduled for December 7th) is?

We need to elaborate on "full open".

If you mean will the Tashiro Ropeway start operating from this weekend as planned, then there's probably a decent chance. Not that I have heard anything either way.

But if you mean fully open wih all the lifts and runs of the whole of the Kagura area open..... then would guess chances are close to zero.

Keep an eye on the Yuzawa Now reports for daily updates

http://www.snowjapan...orts/yuzawa-now

Hmmm, a mysterious reply. I guess I will have to get myself down there and find out for myself.

Speaking of mysterious, I have read it described as a mysterious place where the slope gets more gentle the higher you go.

上に行くほど傾斜が緩くなる不思議なスキー場。上部のコバルトゲレンデは初心者向きのオープンスロープで、ビギナーがボーゲンを練習するのに最適。中級者がウォーミングアップをするのにもいいだろう。比較的空いている穴場ゲレンデであるうえ、SAJ公認の大和スキー学校のほか、プロスキースクール(SIA)も揃っているので、スキー初心者がじっくり練習するのもおすすめだ。スキー場内にアットホームな宿泊施設が散在している。

(Added text in for you u-tan, SJ-David).

Thanks for the information Sanjo. I guess I will wait until Friday, check the Yuzawa Now report and the Kagura website to see how much is made accessible and whether it seesms worth a trip

u-tan

I haven't been up there in the last week - it's a 30 minute drive from where I live - but it isn't looking likely that we are going to get the snow by the weekend. Actually, it's looking extremely unlikely. So while they will probably try to open more, there's very little chance of the whole lot opening. Like sanjo said keep an eye on Yuzawa Now as the guys are checking and updating every morning.

Mt Granview is planning a late December opening, so unfortunately that won't be an option just yet. Unless you hike. Naked. ;)

This thread popped up, "Mt Granview (Minamiuonuma, Niigata) - the resort that time forget" in similar topics .

That answered my questions pretty well muikabochi.

You really need to experience Mt Granview first hand though.

It's just one of those places.

:thumbsup:

The other mega Mt Granview thread is this one:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/21632-mt-granview-watch-or-the-japanese-ski-resort-to-watch-for-the-1213-season/

And of course, keep an eye on the Emergency Telephone Box thread:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/23317-japans-most-famous-snow-icon-the-emergency-telephone-box-1314-yuzawa-niigata/

I was taking all the references seriously, wondering how I had not heard about this gem before.

That explains why websearches in English and Japanese revealed very little and the less than modern look of the official webpage.

Where are you near u-tan?

Ninox? Tainai? Wakabuna?

Perhaps this season you could upload a review/photos from those places as they don't have much/any content on here.

And I would like to see them. :)

Muikabotchi, I am in Shibata. Ninox is the closest but I guess I go to Wakabuna the most. I also go to Tainai and occasionally to Mikawa for a change of scenery.

Good news is that Budoh is opening again this year. They closed for "various reasons" last year. I heard rumours at the local skatepark that they didn't have appropriate approval or safety inspections or something. Kind of hard to beleive as the place is run by Murakami city. It is a small place but I really like it and it is a great, protected option when the high lifts at other places around here are shut down by the westerly winds howling. I will try and get some pictures up.

Stil not much word on open dates around here. Ninox are hoping for December 14th according to their website. Locals are skeptical however, especially as the slopes are still brown from about halfway down.

• SnowJapan Admin

Welcome to Forums u-tan.

Interesting on Budoh. Will be sure to update on the site tomorrow.

We'll be posting something about Photos / Reviews on the new site within a week - hopefully with people's help we'll see lots of new content this season.

Ninox are hoping for December 14th according to their website. Locals are skeptical however, especially as the slopes are still brown from about halfway down.

Well, it's just a date when they hope to be able to open isn't it. When they are ready to open.

Iwappara and Joetsu Kokusai have this Saturday as their planned opening dates, but as there's close to no snow there and not much forecast, it's not going to happen.

After that it's just open when they can sort of thing.