I think we have had this before, but in Japan is it actually acceptable for people to ring the door bell, a few times, not get an answer ---- and then proceed to try and open your front door anyway?

If I don't answer the door, does it not indicate that I am not in? (Or perhaps I am otherwise engaged so I don't/can't to answer the door)?

Why try to open the door?

Winds me up something bad.

And any other good "acceptable or not" scenarios!

My neighbors do it all the time but ...they are really, really old but they usually have goodies like fruits, veggies or catch of the day fish in hand. Mailman tries to do it, too. "Youbin Desu"... seems to coincide with him trying to open the door.

Although I don't like it I would tend to say....acceptable....unless empty handed.. :naughty:

What's the logic in trying to open the front door when you have rung a few times - presumably hearing the bing-bong of the bell - and no-one has answered.

:confused:

I don't imagine you get this type of thing much up there in the city Klingon but down here in the "old country"....ya, it's a pretty normal thing.

I think I mentioned this before... but the old guy next door will come over at 5 am and ring the doorbell about 20 times all the while yanking on the door trying to get in. I race to the door with one eye open in my underwear and he proceeds to hand me a blood and slime dripping fish...... Oh...it's a lovely genkan exchange.

Since the last time it was discussed, it's happened to me. Old Oji-San who was collecting data for a census or something done it....I was fuming. Who the **** does he think he is?!? GET THE F**K OUTTA MY HOUSE!! luckily he left by the time I'd pulled on some shorts and raced to the door (I was watching him on the doorbell camera thingy)

had my neighbors barge right into my house when i first arrived. Like literally shove the estate agent out of the way to get in and nose about. They then gestured food. I kinda thought they were asking me to come over and eat something with them. I looked confused and feigned my best 'me no understandy! baka gaijin!' face. She looked pure affronted. Having thought this over i have a feeling she was actually asking me for food since she was a guest in my house and the very fact she had to even mention it and not be offered immediately upon crossing the threshold was absolutely outrageous. :) Them sneaky old chinese gadgys. You gotta watch out for them. Fortunately my door here is only opened with the key. None of this turny handle and walk in nonsense. But in japan ALWAYS ALWAYS locked it and put the chain up. You never know which bastard is going to try and sneak in when you ignore the doorbell.

I don't like it so I always lock my door, otherwise they will just walk in, as the Kumicho lady did the first week we were here on the one occasion I hadn't locked the door.

Typical in rural villages in Japan like where I am, they will ring the bell once if no answer soon they will try and open the door. Some people don't even bother with the door bell, they just open the bloody door, call out the person who lives their whether they are their or not.

I myself would never open someone else's door so likewise I don't expect people to open mine either, it is rude and disrespectful!

also because if you did that at home you'd probably end up in the hospital with a burst mouth or worse

I don't even like doing that to good friends, I always ring the bell first and wait to get invited in

My house is designed in such a way that the genkan is at a 90 degree angle from the main hall. It doesn't really matter if someone opens the door and shouts in or not. I don't really mind it much, but to be honest, ever since I put the giant Katakana name plate on the front door we don't have too many people just letting themselves in.