Hey guys,

Been lurking around here gathering lots of info and I'll be coming to Hokkaido Jan 12-27. (first time to Japan) Initially there will be 6 of us and we will be staying in Rusutsu and Niseko. Afterwards My girlfriend and I will be headed to Tommamu and finishing up in Sapporo. We have rented a vehicle and will be driving. I was wondering where most of you who fly in exchange your currency for yen? Obviously there is the airport but I was wondering if there is anywhere that has a better rate without being too hard to find. I would also appreciate it if anyone has their favorite places to eat/drink in the respective areas. You know those little hole in the wall places with good food/drinks and good vibes. Finally, since we have transportation, are there any interesting sights/places (non ski related) to visit? Any info is appreciated and feel free to pm me. Praying for more snow everyday (Californa and Japan) and am so excited to get over there :omg:

Thanks again

Currency: at bank at home. The J-Bank rates are horrendous. Or use international ATM, for a small fee, you can withdraw from you own bank account with your bank's rates.

Interesting sights:

http://www.toyotarentacar.net/english/tourism/drive/

Has a few ideas for the summer season, but gives you an idea anyway. And don't forget sea ice breaker at Abashiri and sea ice swimming. Been wanting to do this for ages.

Places I like to eat and drink will differ to your tastes.

Oh, Tomamu. If you're staying at the resort, book the Japanese sushi restaurant. Avoid the deer curry restaurant, (deer, not dear).

Ooh, haven't had venison in ages. :yummy:

What is wrong with the deer curry restaurant?

Currency: at bank at home. The J-Bank rates are horrendous. Or use international ATM, for a small fee, you can withdraw from you own bank account with your bank's rates.

Interesting sights:

http://www.toyotaren.../tourism/drive/

Has a few ideas for the summer season, but gives you an idea anyway. And don't forget sea ice breaker at Abashiri and sea ice swimming. Been wanting to do this for ages.

Places I like to eat and drink will differ to your tastes.

Hey WV, You never know. I'm up for an adventure and to try new things. Thanks for the replys guys. Keep them coming. :)

Wow ! I thought you were kidding about the ice swimming until I looked it up. The cruise looks kinda cool. I'm really looking forward to some of the really good seafood from Hokkaido. Even my Japanese friends tell me Hokkaido is the place to go for sea food.

Oh yes. Hokkaido seafood and indeed Hokkaido food is pretty amazing.

My fav would be crab sashimi and grilled king crab legs with cold sake.

Mmmm ! Now you are speakin my language. Is this un town or can I just drive over to the coast for some local seafood?

i use travel credit card (no fx spread). load up with debit balance and cash it at atm ( no cash advance fee)

Good to know. Are ATMs in abundance? I figure that might be the case in Niseko but I don't know about the other places I will be staying.

i use travel credit card (no fx spread). load up with debit balance and cash it at atm ( no cash advance fee)

Good to know. Are ATMs in abundance? I figure that might be the case in Niseko but I don't know about the other places I will be staying.

i think theres only 1 atm in niseko in the new supermarket. its generally difficult to get cash out anywhere in japan, easily the worst country ive experienced for it.

Yeah, 7-11 and Japan Post Office ATM's are international friendly............don't think there is a 7-11 in Niseko area (maybe Kutchan) and Post office ATM's may close at silly ridiculous times. Carrying lots of cash is fine, as BoC indicated, its just weird t carry a lot of cash around for us westerners.