• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That was a great day.   For now though. Need. More. Fresh. Snow.

I wouldn't head across JUST yet though Mike.......it needs a big storm. A lot of the good trees on Isola weren't filled in with a lot of sasa poking through

Some friends of mine headed off to Chamonix on xmas day because they found Niseko too busy last year!

Riding under chairlifts Mike thought you weren't keen on that practice?

If it's roped off, then no.

If it isn't roped off then definitely yes.

Early season it's the best place for powder. Typically the lift lines are cleared of sasa and rocks so the lifties can walk the lift line for maintenance.

By mid-season it gets a little dicey as the base gets closer to the bottom of the chairs.

DAY 7 : WEDNESDAY 04 DECEMBER 2013

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Another grey December day. Thought I'd left this rubbish behind in Wales.

It brightened up in the afternoon so I went for a little drive up to Goshiki Onsen to scope some potential lines for when the snow comes.

Mt Yotei made a brief appearance

mike%20pow_1696.jpg

DAY 8 : THURSDAY 05 DECEMBER 2013

It's beginning to feel like 'The Benjamin Button' season.

Starting off with spring temperatures, sunshine, limited terrain open, and a quickly disappearing snowpack and working it's way back.

Spent the morning skiing Annupuri.

Glorious sunshine down low, thick fog half way up the gondola.

Did one warm up lap and then shared the gondola back up with Johan from Melbourne who was over on holiday.

Ended up skiing together the rest of the morning and helping him develop his skiing.

At the start Johan was beginning his turns with a slight wedge, with too much balance on the uphill / inside ski

mike%20pow_1697.jpg

So we worked on standing tall, keeping the skis parallel and being more patient in the fall line

mike%20pow_1698.jpg

mike%20pow_1699.jpg

And then he was off

mike%20pow_1700.jpg

mike%20pow_1701.jpg

Johan

mike%20pow_1702.jpg

Pleasure skiing with you Johan. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

The snow was in good shape considering how little we've had. But we need more. Lots. Now.

For lunch I went to The Grove in Annupuri.

Fabulous katsu pork, rice and salad followed by bread & butter pudding and coffee.

mike%20pow_1703.jpg

Maybe a tip for Johan when I saw his pictures. I used to tell my kids to get the posture of a big bear, leaning forward into their boots with arms out front and away from the body, don't look like a chipmunk with arms tucked in beside the body and lower arms bent out at 90 degrees which causes upper body rotation and a shuffling type turn. If they can keep that posture, face down the hill and put the weight on the downhill ski, the ski will start to carve on edge through the turn.

Always great to read about people getting out there.

Currently on Coreupt The Caspers (173cm, 112-79-106)

Got a pair of Idris Renard for the piste (175cm, 116-71-100) and a pair of Majesty Local Hero (176cm, 116-82-111) for everything else when the Coreupts give in.

So you don't ride fattys then?

They also opened the beginner Ace Family Pair and Family Run.

It was disappointing to see no groomed beginner terrain available yesterday.

There are a number of Chinese, Taiwanese, Thai & Malaysian guests in resort experiencing winter and winter recreation for the first time.

Trying to learn to ski or snowboard in ungroomed knee deep powder is a joke.

By the sound of things, the vast majority of people who come to Hakuba super early from overseas are also beginners. They're just stoked to see snow and aren't that bothered if the whole mountain is open. As you say, the resorts have a duty to set up something for them.

Always great to read about people getting out there.

Yeah fair play, Johan was making the most of the conditions and loving it.

Currently on Coreupt The Caspers (173cm, 112-79-106)

Got a pair of Idris Renard for the piste (175cm, 116-71-100) and a pair of Majesty Local Hero (176cm, 116-82-111) for everything else when the Coreupts give in.

So you don't ride fattys then?

No.

The widest I've skied on Hokkaido has been the 173cm Movement Jam (136-85-117).

I found that they kept me closer to the surface of the snow, when what I'm looking for is an immersive powder experience.

With the quality and low density of Hokkaido powder I want to be in it not surfing on or just below the snow surface.

If you ski aggressively enough and use your upper body to initiate the turn you can submarine any size ski. But that's not the way I ski or teach.

They also opened the beginner Ace Family Pair and Family Run.

It was disappointing to see no groomed beginner terrain available yesterday.

There are a number of Chinese, Taiwanese, Thai & Malaysian guests in resort experiencing winter and winter recreation for the first time.

Trying to learn to ski or snowboard in ungroomed knee deep powder is a joke.

By the sound of things, the vast majority of people who come to Hakuba super early from overseas are also beginners. They're just stoked to see snow and aren't that bothered if the whole mountain is open. As you say, the resorts have a duty to set up something for them.

Agreed. But for them to continue with the sport and not just tick one off their bucket list there should be appropriate terrain for their ability level.

I've seen far too many beginners and instructors struggle this past week because the areas which have been open and the grooming or lack of it have been wholly inappropriate.

Hokkaido has a wonderful combination of

low angled terrain

wide slopes

great snow

low skier numbers compared with other alpine countries

which make learning to ski ideal.

The Japanese resort managers could learn a tremendous amount from countries which don't have these favourable conditions and who still introduce and keep hundreds of thousands of new skiers each winter

e.g. Australia, Scotland, and the East Coast of the USA to name but three.

DAY 9 : FRIDAY 06 DECEMBER 2013

Finally the snow has returned.

It started snowing around 11am and continued through the day.

Had dinner at Tamashi with Ian.

Fish supper with chips. Hit the spot.

DAY 10 : SATURDAY 07 DECEMBER 2013

19 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

What a difference a day makes

Yesterday at MQ

mike%20pow_1704.jpg

7am this morning

mike%20pow_1705.jpg

Long time student & ski partner Tracy Lenard got in to town in the early hours of the morning, timing his arrival from Tokyo to perfection.

We met at the King Hooded Triple in Hirafu at 9.30 am and then skied Yotei Sunset down to Hanazono.

Spent the rest of the day at Hanazono skiing packed powder on the groomed runs and crud and powder on the fringes.

Tracy on the Hanazono 1 chairlift

mike%20pow_1706.jpg

Tracy skiing the crud and powder of Hanazono

mike%20pow_1707.jpg

mike%20pow_1708.jpg

mike%20pow_1709.jpg

mike%20pow_1710.jpg

Great to be making turns with him again.

It snowed most of the day and is set to continue through the night.

All four areas of Niseko United are now open with Hirafu the only area where you still have to download from mid-mountain.

Hopefully tonight's snowfall will provide enough coverage to open the runs to the bottom of Center 4 and the Hirafu gondola tomorrow.

It was nice in teine today......very surprised at the condition of the snow that was there. we did a wee bit of sasa slalom and hidden rock grinding to get to some pretty damn powdery lines :)

Very happy for the first day on the snow......its also JUST started snowing in sapporo too :)

• Like 1

UPDATE

Ian and I were invited to dinner at the 1 Michelin star restaurant Kamimura in Hirafu by Tracy, his girlfriend Mika, and her friend Minako last night.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Chef's Degustation Menu and wine flight.

Nemuro Salmon Caviar

smoked, with mascarpone, gherkin and eschalot

mike%20pow_1711.jpg

Quail's Egg

wrapped in Jamon Serrano, with truffle powder

mike%20pow_1712.jpg

Nemuro Hairy Crab

marinated with crab butter, cucumber sorbet

mike%20pow_1713.jpg

Habaro King Prawn Sashimi

sliced carrot, cauliflower and walnuts

mike%20pow_1714.jpg

Rausu Hokke (Atka Mackerel)

grilled, cabbage cooked in clam stock, and Japanese herb salad

mike%20pow_1715.jpg

Sempoushi Oyster

butter sauteed, garlic chive sauce and Spanish chorizo

mike%20pow_1716.jpg

Takikawa Duck Breast

slow roasted, Japanese leek, kumquat and duck jus

mike%20pow_1717.jpg

Shiraoi Wagyu Sirloin

chargrilled, Niseko potato galette and veal jus

mike%20pow_1718.jpg

Yoichi Apple

warm caramelised, with crumbles and vanilla ice cream

mike%20pow_1719.jpg

Espresso or Tea, with Petit Four

It was a different menu from last season with some bold and exciting combinations of flavours, textures and temperatures.

The Takikawa Duck Breast was the highlight for me.

Fabulous company, fabulous food, fabulous evening.

13,000 yen

A main meal out at dinner time in Niseko costs approx. 2,000 yen - let's call it 7 times cheaper than Kamimura.

The quality and experience is "worth" far more than 7 times difference to me.

And I understand that both of those prices are expensive for Japan.

But the Niseko Resort Area is not indicative of Japan.