• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That was a great day.   For now though. Need. More. Fresh. Snow.

I wouldn't head across JUST yet though Mike.......it needs a big storm. A lot of the good trees on Isola weren't filled in with a lot of sasa poking through

Some friends of mine headed off to Chamonix on xmas day because they found Niseko too busy last year!

Yeah, the Sapporo games though that was the plan from the beginning wasn't it. Do the games, get out, nature reclaim mountain.

That's what I heard too. Shame. Some great terrain.

DAY 125 : TUESDAY 01 APRIL 2014

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Cool and sunny today but also very windy, with the upper lifts on wind hold all day.

After yesterday's exertions I took a day off to recover.

DAY 126 : WEDNESDAY 02 APRIL 2014

The wind died down overnight and the morning broke clear, so it was back to Mt Eniwa-dake for another solo skin & ski.

After skiing the East Face on Monday, today I was looking to find the lost resort of Mt Eniwa, host to the Men's & Women's Downhill skiing events at the 1972 Sapporo Winter Olympics.

The drive around Lake Shikotsu was spectacular this morning with the waters calm and crystal clear

Mt Eniwa-dake

(the East Face Bowl and ascent ridge on the right hand side of the peak)

mike%20pow_2199.jpg

Mt Tarumae and Mt Fuppushi-dake

mike%20pow_2200.jpg

Mt Fuppushi-dake's 'E.T. Couloir'

mike%20pow_2201.jpg

Mt Eniwa-dake

mike%20pow_2202.jpg

mike%20pow_2203.jpg

mike%20pow_2204.jpg

The East Face bowl

mike%20pow_2205.jpg

Today's route - walk (green) and ski (red)

mike%20pow_2206.jpg

Rt 78, closed until 05 May 2014

mike%20pow_2207.jpg

mike%20pow_2208.jpg

Avalanche path off the summit

mike%20pow_2209.jpg

Rt 78 is closed to traffic but is plowed clean at least to the 6 km marker (of 9.1 km).

That's how far I walked down the road trying to get sight of the Olympic runs.

Nothing.

And with Mt Eniwa-dake being volcanic, the gullies separating the many faces of the mountain are deep and steep sided.

A no go to traversing around.

So I turned around and walked 3km back up the road until I got to a car parking area where I put on the skins and headed up the mountain to make some turns.

The snow was solid and the skin up quick and easy.

Went up to just below the summit ridge and then dropped in to the trees that took me back to the road.

Great pitch and nicely spaced trees, with some fun gullies and steeper shots.

Turns out the Olympic venue is at the end of the road, 9.1 km

There's a storm rolling through this weekend and the next clear day is early next week.

Looking to head back on Tuesday, this time with a bike to finally see what's left of the '72 Olympics venue.

The search continues.

DAY 127 : THURSDAY 03 APRIL 2014

A cool grey day in the Niseko Resort Area with mist & drizzle rolling in around 11 am

Greg Heptonstall went up the mountain this morning and reported awful conditions.

A good day to be indoors.

Had the buffet lunch at Prativo in Higashiyama, which as always was great.

DAY 128 : FRIDAY 04 APRIL 2014

I woke at 6am to the rain hammering down on the roof here at MQ.

It's eased off a little but there's more on the way before the temperature plumments and the snow returns.

30 cm forecast this evening into tomorrow, so fingers crossed we see the return of powder and face shots :)

+1 on the love for those photos Mike! :thumbsup: Am also intrigued to see what's become of those '72 downhill runs, so hope you can make it out there. ganbare!!

DAY 129 : SATURDAY 05 APRIL 2014

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The rain stopped around mid-afternoon yesterday and turned to very fine snow soon after.

But as has happened far too often this season it was accompanied by very high winds which blew what little snow had fallen all over the place.

I woke to winter views this morning and the heating went back on for the first time in a week.

The 30 cm that had been forecast hadn't materialised and with the high winds still raging in the Niseko Resort Area - which closed all the upper lifts all day - I headed to Kiroro Snow World on my own to see what was on offer.

The car park was white and quiet and the slopes were covered with a new layer of powder.

No spring crunch underfoot :)

Only the bottom three quads and the backside uncovered double were operating today, and after a couple of laps on the groomed runs and the fringes I headed into 'Walk in the Woods' to see what I could find.

12 days with no snow

Sunshine

Warm temperatures

Rain

and after 1 storm I got boot to boot top powder all day, with knee deep turns and face shots each run.

Stay Another Day

It was snowing as I left and I'll be heading back over tomorrow.

Hopefully the gondola will be running.

DAY 130 : SUNDAY 06 APRIL 2014

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The wind that almost cracked 'Eggshell' - the proper name for MQ in Higashiyama - Friday night into Saturday morning moved north overnight keeping the Kiroro Snow World upper lifts closed for the second consecutive day, but more importantly flattening all of yesterday's powder :(

It was boot deep at best today but on the plus side the groomed runs were in perfect mid-winter condition.

I came back to Higashiyama mid-afternoon and 5cm had already fallen.

And it's coming down hard and straight as I type.

The upper lifts in the Niseko United ski area have been closed for the past two days too, and with tomorrow forecast to be sunny it's going to be a tough call to decide where to ski.

Watch this space.

DAY 131 : MONDAY 07 APRIL 2014

6 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Spring returned to the Niseko Resort Area this morning with sunshine, blue skies and fresh powder.

It was the same at Kiroro Snow World for Ian and me, unfortunately we didn't get the memo that as from today the gondola will only open on weekends :(

We warmed up on the groomed runs which were excellent, but after only one run in the trees off the Nagamine chair ski patrol was on us like shit on a stick.

Not surprising really as we were the only ones skiing off the groomed runs.

Glen Claydon reported fun turns off the peak at Hirafu this morning but with Hanazono closed for the season, it was cutback central to make the Hirafu lifts.