• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That was a great day.   For now though. Need. More. Fresh. Snow.

I wouldn't head across JUST yet though Mike.......it needs a big storm. A lot of the good trees on Isola weren't filled in with a lot of sasa poking through

Some friends of mine headed off to Chamonix on xmas day because they found Niseko too busy last year!

Hey Mike Snowjapan weather reports show its going to be quite windy among many of the resorts in Hokkaido including niseko from Friday. Are snowjapan wind forecasts quite accurate?. Do you think there is going to be many lifts stopping due to wind conditions?

I use snowforecast. In my experience :

Very accurate on freezing level, wind speed, and whether it's going to snow or not.

Massively under-report the snow quantities.

DAY 29 : THURSDAY 26 DECEMBER 2013

4 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The cloud cover burned off early to leave another sunny December day.

This was the first day of the season when the backcountry gates opened and local photographer Glen Claydon reported smooth powder and solid stability of the snowpack.

DAY 30 : FRIDAY 27 DECEMBER 2013

8 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Heavy wet snow fell around 8pm last night and then the surface layer froze under clear skies.

It made for some interesting turns in Konayuki early on with Ian and Aaron.

I spent the day on the Idris Renard skis (175 cm, 116-71-100, r 17m) and Aaron was on the Idris Chamois skis (175 cm, 120-88-112, r 20m)

Beautiful handcrafted skis by Tom Greenall and his wife, Kiyoko Yamaguchi in Chamonix, France.

Tom is a fellow Welshman who's made Chamonix his home since 2001.

I first saw Tom and Kiyoko's skis last winter when longtime student Tracy came up from Tokyo in early December with the Chamois.

They made a massive difference to his skiing last season and I wanted my students and I to have a chance to try them this winter.

The Chamois is their all mountain ski and Aaron was improving all over the mountain in all conditions - piste, crud, bumps, powder. And loving them

mike%20pow_1839.jpg

The Renard is their carving piste ski. Maybe for Europe!

I've skied both and rate both very highly, but for the type of terrain and quality of snow we have here on Hokkaido and the way in which I like to ski it the Renard is my all mountain ski.

They turn like the Welsh weather, flex and pop through the bumps, and dive deep in the powder.

Superb.

And to top off a great day of skiing, Aaron and I got to ride the Lucky Golden Gondola in Hirafu - the number 50 gondola is painted and upholstered gold to commemorate last season's 50th Anniversary for Grand Hirafu.

mike%20pow_1840.jpg

DAY 31 : SATURDAY 28 DECEMBER 2013

25 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 423 cm (167") has fallen at MQ in Higashiyama

The high winds overnight packed in the snow up high, making the off-piste tricky to say the least.

But lower down the mountain the new snow was dry and light.

I skied with Ian early on before he headed to the airport, and then with Greg and Chris and found some great stashes of non-wind affected powder near the Hirafu gondola

Chris

mike%20pow_1841.jpg

Ian ready to drop in

mike%20pow_1842.jpg

Ian in the groove

mike%20pow_1843.jpg

mike%20pow_1844.jpg

mike%20pow_1845.jpg

mike%20pow_1846.jpg

mike%20pow_1847.jpg

DAY 32 : SUNDAY 29 DECEMBER 2013

12 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day 1 for the Lovelock family - Neil, Ria, Alex and Hayden.

The wind was up again today closing the top lifts which forced everyone down the mountain.

But we started the day at Hanazono and had a couple of hours before the mob descended from Hirafu.

It snowed most of the day, with great groomers and boot top powder early on, and knee deep at days end.

The queues at the Hanazono 1 chair were long for here, but 10 minutes long at the worst.

There were a few grumblings in the lift line, but spare a thought for those skiing the Chamonix valley in France today.

This was the line up at Les Grands-Montets.

There were less people in the retreat from Stalingrad.

Tom Wilson North pic

1459068_10152149695231241_1950832368_n.jpg

No thank you.

• Like 1

In terms of the Sapporo area, there is definitely still a lot of greenery showing through. Rusutsu was the same last week. Hopefully it won't be too long before its all gone though.....snowing again today.....swithering about whether to head out or not

DAY 33 : MONDAY 30 DECEMBER 2013

24 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day 2 for the Lovelock family - Neil, Ria, Alex and Hayden.

We had intended skiing Niseko Annupuri today, but high winds across the Niseko Ski Area made for a delayed opening of the Annupuri quad chair and the gondola being offline all day.

So instead of sitting in the Nook waiting for things to happen Ian MacKenzie drove us over to Rusutsu where there was less wind and plenty of new snow.

There was a 10-15 minute queue at the East Mt gondola base station at the start of the morning, which turned out to be the lift operator not filling each gondola car.

It didn't help that all snowboards and fat skis had to be taken inside the car because the racks are too narrow.

But once on Isola Mt., the only other queues we saw the rest of the day were in the Steamboat restaurant.

After warming up on the groomed runs, we spent the rest of our day skiing the trees and powder off Heavenly Ridge.

Neil

mike%20pow_1848.jpg

Ria working on her balance and relaxation in the powder and the trees

mike%20pow_1849.jpg

and then when the snow let her in she accepted

mike%20pow_1850.jpg

Alex getting deep

mike%20pow_1851.jpg

Hayden spent most of his last visit to Hokkaido riding the tails of his 178 cm Line Blend skis (132-100-122) and skimming across the surface of the snow.

This visit he's on the 175 cm Idris Chamois skis (120-88-112) and has been working hard on staying centred on his skis through the full curve of the turn.

He nailed it this afternoon.

mike%20pow_1852.jpg

mike%20pow_1853.jpg

mike%20pow_1854.jpg

It snowed most of the day, and with plenty of untracked snow at day's end a return tomorrow is on the cards.

No Dunga if it is windy in Niseko it is normally the same in Rusutsu and the crowds are the same don't bother :D

Looks great Mike cant wait 33 Days to go and by then all that sasa will be buried

• Like 1

Nice photos yet again Mike.

Is it common that when there are high winds at Niseko that it's not as bad at Rusutsu and with less people?

Thanks.

It can be. The Rusutsu lifts are more protected.

DAY 34 : TUESDAY 31 DECEMBER 2013

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

December saw 336 cm (132") of snowfall at village level, making it the 4th highest December total in the 8 winters I've been keeping records.

The snowiest December was 2011 with 514 cm (202").

Day 3 for the Lovelock family and we went back to Rusutsu for more powder, but this time with sunshine and no queues.

Ian and the Lovelocks (l-r, Neil, Hayden, Alex, Ria)

mike%20pow_1855.jpg

The frosted forest below the East Mt gondola

mike%20pow_1856.jpg

The powder was light, with boot top to knee deep feathers all over the mountain.

Alex

mike%20pow_1857.jpg

Neil

mike%20pow_1858.jpg

mike%20pow_1859.jpg

mike%20pow_1860.jpg

mike%20pow_1861.jpg

After lunch we hit a great spot off Heavenly Ridge. It was a little wind affected but the views of Lake Toya and the ocean were magnificent.

Ria

mike%20pow_1862.jpg

Neil

mike%20pow_1863.jpg

mike%20pow_1864.jpg

Alex

mike%20pow_1865.jpg

DAY 35 : WEDNESDAY 01 JANUARY 2014

16 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2013 went out like a lamb and 2014 came in like a Lion.

Day 4 for the Lovelock family and with the forecasted high winds not hitting the Niseko Resort Area we headed to Annupuri.

We spent the first couple of hours skiing deserted pistes with 5-10 cm of hero snow on top working on more fluidity and continuous movement through the turn, before heading to the bumps and then the trees.

It was snowing the whole time and by the time we got to the trees the snow was knee deep.

Unfortunately we only got two tree runs in before thunder, lightning, high winds and driving snow closed all the lifts at Annupuri.

We waited until 11.30 to see if there would be any change, and when there wasn't we headed to the buffet lunch.

Still nothing running after lunch so we pulled the pin.

It's been blowing and snowing all afternoon, so fingers crossed the wind will die down tomorrow and the new snow won't be too wind affected.

Great Mike

With the photos of Toya are you dropping off the back after the 1st rope on Heavenly View and then coming back in before the flat stretch/ 2nd rope or after it?

Interested in how your detachable snow depth testing devices (aka skis) found the trees in Rusutsu.

I've heard several reports that its not really ready yet, but others (and from what i can see in your pictures) suggest that its just enough now, with just a bit of Sasa grass sticking through.

Thanks MikePow for all the great reporting and pictures! Going to Niseko in a couple of days and getting more excited by the minute!

My pleasure. Thanks for reading.

It's getting better by the day here.

Great Mike

With the photos of Toya are you dropping off the back after the 1st rope on Heavenly View and then coming back in before the flat stretch/ 2nd rope or after it?

Good spot seemore.

After the first rope and getting back in after the flat stretch.

Interested in how your detachable snow depth testing devices (aka skis) found the trees in Rusutsu.

I've heard several reports that its not really ready yet, but others (and from what i can see in your pictures) suggest that its just enough now, with just a bit of Sasa grass sticking through.

Still plenty of sasa around, but obvious paths top to bottom.

A bit like Miharashi was the day we skied it.

Neil and I getting caught out every once in a while because we're sinking in more.