The Tory backbenchers have already said that they would most likely vote against the Devo-max powers that's been offered due to the process being unconstitutional

No less than Ed Balls has also come out (well, behind closed doors) to claim this would be a 'problem' for passing any English tax program given that West Lothian Question would now be obviously center stage again.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scotland the Brave  

I'm hearing you loud and clear Ippy - "love it" isn't the word.   I spoke to my "Best Man" who lives in Fort Augustus and he went into his bank (not sure which one, but obviously one of the banks bl

Just had a phone conversation with an old mate who lives in the Highlands. He assured me that for the first time in living memory there is a noticeable smell of genuine fear coming from all the London parties.

It's not even a case of the Nationalists smelling blood; the mood is genuine hope and expectation of all the possibilities of nationhood.

It will, however, be very, very close!

Momentum has ping ponged again.

At the weekend it hit fever pitch. Almost lost control in fact at the whole camp outside the empty BBC building with the DEATH TO NICK ROBINSON banners. Well... maybe not death. But ugly anyways. :)

Then monday hit and its been all quiet again. I know people are back at work and doing humdrum stuff, but even my facebook feeds are looking static compared to a fortnight ago. Ive been using them as a general weather vane. Not my sister mind you, shes still at it. She hates England plenty much though. But its when people i dont expect start getting caught up in it (my cousins for example), then i start paying attention. Two more days... well, two and half technically.

Anyways, hope youre right. I would LOVE IT if i woke up on Friday morning to a shellshocked Dimbleby (or whoever is hosting it), trying to get a word out of the gobsmacked talking heads. I would LOVE IT.

I'm hearing you loud and clear Ippy - "love it" isn't the word.

I spoke to my "Best Man" who lives in Fort Augustus and he went into his bank (not sure which one, but obviously one of the banks bleating doom and gloom for a "Yes" vote) and told them that he had banked with them since leaving school but their stance was the last straw. He withdrew all his money and parted with a "Go f@ck yourselves" to the bank teller. As you said, when people you don't expect start getting caught up - my mate has never, ever batted an eyelid at political matters before !!!

GO SCOTLAND !!!

• Like 1

Don't forget we won the war: Gordon Brown calls on older Scots to tell grandchildren how they fought 'side by side' with English

"Former PM said NHS, welfare and defeating Nazis all have Union to thank. He told Clydebank rally cemeteries have 'Scots, English, Welsh and Irish'.

It comes as focus shifts onto over-65s more likely to vote No tomorrow.

By DANIEL MARTIN, DAILY MAIL WHITEHALL CORRESPONDENT

Gordon Brown yesterday called on older Scots to tell their grandchildren how they fought ‘side by side’ with the English in the Second World War.

Ahead of tomorrow’s independence referendum, the former Prime Minister said the younger generation needed to know about the achievements of the UK.

Defeating the Nazis and creating the NHS and the welfare state all happened because England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland had stuck together, he said.

Polls have shown that the over-65s are less likely than youngsters to support independence and are believed to be vital to the result.

Speaking at a No rally in Clydebank, near Glasgow, which suffered more bombing in the war than anywhere outside London and Coventry, Mr Brown said: ‘There are Scots, English, Welsh and Irish who fought side by side during the Second World War.

‘There is not a battlefield in Europe where we did not fight with others. There is not a cemetery where you don’t find Scots, English, Welsh and Irish lying side by side.

‘And when someone was injured, nobody asked are you Scots, English, Welsh or Irish? We all came to each other’s aid because we were in a common fight, struggling and working together.’

The former Labour leader said the common endeavour should be explained to the young.

‘Tell them something: tell them that we had to fight a war together to ensure peace in this country,’ he said.

Mr Brown was speaking after a leaked document showed the SNP-led Scottish Government is planning £450million in NHS cuts – despite claiming to be the only party that can be trusted with its future.

He said the nationalists were ‘perpetrating a lie’ that only secession would allow Scotland to protect the NHS from privatisation. Mr Brown added that he had received support from the surgeon who saved his right eye after a rugby accident as a teenager.

And he said an independent Scotland’s army would be like Dad’s Army. He suggested secession would mean ‘we’re all doomed’ – the catchphrase of Private Frazer in the BBC comedy."

source: daily mail.

thousands of Americans, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis, French, Dutch, Polish, Indians, Malays, Chinese, Gurkhas and a myriad of other nationalities also fought side by side and died and are buried next to each other all over Europe and Asia…….should we all just join in together?

Its all the NO camp really have……lets remember the good old fuzzy days….well people can remember more recent, not so fuzzy days and instead of harking back into the distant past, they are deciding to look to the future…..that's what a YES vote is all about.

Silly man

A very, very sad day.

My heart goes out to those "Yes" voters who share the same hopes and aspirations as people in all other independent, self-governing nations.

The cretins, cowards and short-term vested interest scum have held sway.

PATHETIC !!!!!!

55% - 45% not as close as predicted

This is a bit like Major vs. Kinnock where loads of people told pollsters they were going to do the protest vote even though they were actually going to go for the "better the devil you know" choice. If in doubt, expect people to be more conservative than they let on in public.

The referendum was only held because Cameron etc. expected a no landslide. They didn't get it, so yes still wins, on the huge condition that yes supporters keep up the pressure to keep the issue alive. All sorts of promises were made at the death for devo max, and the likelihood is that they won't be delivered on. If the yes camp stick at it, it shouldn't be that difficult to have another go, starting from a much stronger position next time.

Just as the libDems got their PR referendum, Scottish MPs have massive bargaining power to get another one, because the likelihood is that the next parliament will not have a workable majority either way.

Plus, some of the pensioners will be dead by then along with their intransigent 73% no vote. The young uns (71% yes amazingly) will still be radical, and we get a whole new raft of 16 and 17 year old (and their 18,19, and 20 year old mates to start voting). The 57% of over 50s i think it was, who voted no, might actually be worried more about their pension in a few years time if they STAY in the union. Plus, pressure on oil will actually pay off as a vote winner and not some kind of lottery windfall. Its going to run out, and the question might rightly be asked that if its going to run out, shouldnt the scottish people benefit before it actually does and theres nothing but crumbs on the table from westminster now that we get more money from westinster than we pay in?

Part of me is secretly hoping they either delay indefinitely the vow, or they just use it as an excuse to bring in reforms entirely beneficial to England and the conservatives.

The other part of me is hoping that the whole thing gets torn apart constitutional means through regional assemblies and greater powers for the celts. Youre welcome England! :x

55% - 45% not as close as predicted

This is a bit like Major vs. Kinnock where loads of people told pollsters they were going to do the protest vote even though they were actually going to go for the "better the devil you know" choice. If in doubt, expect people to be more conservative than they let on in public.

The referendum was only held because Cameron etc. expected a no landslide. They didn't get it, so yes still wins, on the huge condition that yes supporters keep up the pressure to keep the issue alive. All sorts of promises were made at the death for devo max, and the likelihood is that they won't be delivered on. If the yes camp stick at it, it shouldn't be that difficult to have another go, starting from a much stronger position next time.

Just as the libDems got their PR referendum, Scottish MPs have massive bargaining power to get another one, because the likelihood is that the next parliament will not have a workable majority either way.

Milliband....already backtracking from the "PM's" promises......as predicted we'll get nothing but a jolly good rogering.....like we did after we shat it at the last referendum in 79, only this time instead of Thatcher, we have double Devil-max to choose ftom, Boris or Nigel.

These votes are never more than once in a generation.....It'll be another 30-40 years before it even gets whispered about

Well I've lived through the 1979 and 2014 referenda, but at 52 I wonder if I'll see another one?

As I've said before, having left Scotland for a new life in Australia some 20 years ago it isn't my direct concern any more but I've really enjoyed listening to everyone's comments on here and certainly got swept up in it all.

At the end of the day, yesterday's result simply vindicated my decision to become an Aussie - and Brisbane is a lot closer to Japan than Pitlochry !! :lol:

A little late but could be the real reason the YES vote did not get up ;)

Former United Kingdom

If, in the forthcoming referendum, Scotland elects to be independent, the remainder of the United Kingdom will then be known as

the "Former United Kingdom" ... or FUK.

In a bid to discourage the Scots from voting 'yes' in the referendum, the Government have begun their campaign with the slogan

"Vote NO, for FUK's sake."

They feel the Scottish voters will be able to relate to this.

:lol:

But seriously, is it all that surprising that a large number of people kept their mouth shut in the face of the somewhat aggressive England-hating types who think that anything other than their emotionally-fuelled opinions is absolutely incorrect, 'pathetic' and worse?

I really don't think so. I know I jolly well would if I were in their shoes and didn't want the aggro.