• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scotland the Brave  

I'm hearing you loud and clear Ippy - "love it" isn't the word.   I spoke to my "Best Man" who lives in Fort Augustus and he went into his bank (not sure which one, but obviously one of the banks bl

Depends on how u feel.....the queen, technically is from the Scottish lineage as well so if u are a royalist it's perfectly legit to want her to continue being the monarch....me on the other hand, I'm rampantly anti monarchy and would like them burnt at the stake :p

The pound situ, yeah I don't know about that too much but it does feel like a cop out

Sounds like a big girly cop out to me.

Surey all of those people ippy was talking about in his initial post want the clean break ideaologically or however you spell that long word!

Believe it or not, i come from one of the last tory bastions in Scotland. Its always been to my shame that the former area of Kyle and Carrick voted tory all the way up until Major.Ive honestly no idea why since i come from pure village idiot working class lefty stock. But i guess Ayr and Troon might be the kinda place the rich retirees from Glasgow might end up since youve got the whole golf, beaches and Burns thing going on around there. Prestwick is pretty ancient as well. In fact the whole area is.... well, pretty. Maybes im doing this life thing wrong. Boring as shit to live there, but definitely the kind of place you might want to plant your corpse.

Maybe its those buggers that would be scared to crap about a republic. Salmond says that this is a different fight. Its not off the table, but its something that he thinks requires a manifesto expressly on the matter. Truth be told, get independence, sort that out. Fight an election, submit your party platform, then bish bosh! Referendum on the head of state and a presidency. It seems to be just get the machine running properly first, then once its ready start tinkering. Theres no hurry i suppose. Well... unless the constitution is domething they also plan to complete before the next elections for the scottish parliament.

although technically GStQ is Scotland's national anthem, you'll rarely (if ever) hear it played at many official functions even now. The Flower of Scotland or Scotland the Brave are the 2 most widely used, with FoS becoming more dominant in recent years. I imagine that there will be a push for a "new" anthem

To be honest i ****ing love scotland the brave and cant stand the saccharine shite of flower of scotland.

Scotland the brave is one of those few anthems like the Marseilles, where you want to nod your head and wink at everyone. Its a classy and deeply under-appreciated burst of sunshine.

I think I agree with ippy on this one. Scotland the Brave has balls.

Flower of Scotland sounds... flowery.

As for Mark Knopfler... ok, but (and getting OT) no comparison to David Gilmour playing Echoes at Gdansk: Rick Wright's last concert before he died, I believe -- check out the "duet" between the two at the end (21:00 on), lovely and heartbreaking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq_bITDr_90

But getting OT, as I said.

• 2 months later...