The dates been announced. I honestly think its going to happen. I think it because the reaction from the media in London has been "Of course they wont! Theyre not stupid!" And to be honest, thats red rag to a bull stuff right there. We are a stubborn people. If youd have put this question in 1989 even at the time of the poll tax protests (whats this English people? The poll tax riots ocurred in 1990 you say??!??), and even with by then 10 years of Thatcher, a referendum would have failed. Now i really dont think it will. Its just something thats time and arguably if its not taken now, it likely never will. Its a big deal. Much bigger than its being portrayed (Alex Salmonds vanity project).

In truth id vote yes for it. But then again i was about 8 years old when i decided. I was driving back to my shit life in Lincolnshire where i was bullied for being Scottish (after spending a shit time in Ayrshire where i was bullied for being English) when i saw a road sign that had grafitti on it saying Free Scotland. And immediately i was radicalised. Just goes to show that if you want people to come simpering back, ostracize them and theyll out radical you with their attempt to belong. So ive wanted a free and independent scotland for almost as long as ive known as some kind of misguided attempt to right the wrong of being moved about from the age of 5.

Then again, i was on the train in 2009 visiting me maw before heading to Korea for 2 years and just crossed the border. It was getting late, the sun was near setting and the light was beautiful stretching across the lowlands. I took it in and thought to myself "id happy die for this land!"

It took all of a second for my incredulity to snap back at me that were i to be daft enough to go to war for it, id just be replacing one tyrant for another; one land baron for another. The place can go to hell. Nationalism is ****ing stupid.

But i guess where you decide to prioritise your spending isnt. And my genuine feeling (and the values pushed into my by my grandparents) is that this isnt so much an experiment to see if scotland can exist side by side with the rest of the world as an independent nation. But whether it can deliver on the promise of egality that the people believe they live by. Its a smaller thing than people think driving this. And at the same time its so much more radical (and pragmatic) than people realise.

And i think its why the union is going to lose the argument. They keep beating the "scotland is too small, too poor, too dependent" drum. And theyre missing the real groundswell of this. Its not about status, its about morality and responsibility. Its a chance to martyr ourselves to our belief in who we are as a people. Its pure romance. But its not romance of the long past in Bannockburn and Stirling Bridge. No ones going to war here. No one hates the English anymore (except my sister). Its romance of the 50s and 60s when Keynsianism, the consensus and the unions held sway. Its the world my grandad grew up in. Its nostalgia for a more equitable and fair/regulated capitalism. You watch. Thats whats driving this. And because its something tangible, practical, doable; not just some dream about an ancient free scotland, theyll vote yes.

Ah, i do love a shaggy dog story. :)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scotland the Brave  

I'm hearing you loud and clear Ippy - "love it" isn't the word.   I spoke to my "Best Man" who lives in Fort Augustus and he went into his bank (not sure which one, but obviously one of the banks bl

Hmm.....I dunno if there'll be a yes win or not.....I think the time has come where we should put up or shut up....if I was able to vote then I would place my mark next to yes.

Unfortunately it won't be a vote for a republic......we'll still have the chinless wonder parasites suckling on the public purse, personally I'd like to go the whole hog and kick those maggots out as well

Do it.

Being part Irish, part Scottish (with relatives in Tubby's home town), part a few other places, and having attended school in England (of which I have very fond memories, despite the inevitable ribbing as to my background), I have no particular dog in this fight. But on general principle, I have to root for independence.

But make it an amicable split, would be my only advice.

Oh yeah MO?! Which part of town do ur family live?

Pies don't worry, part 1 of our constitution will be to continue and blame England for all our woes :D

I wonder if they'll change the Union flag and take out the blue background

With the thread title, I thought a sequel to the original alien confrontation documentary had been announced.

Bur now I know it isn't.

Can I vote?

I was with you pies. I thought that was the day aliens were destined to invade.

We can't be off-guard though, Dunga.

Even though this isn't specifically about aliens, it doesn't mean that they aren't plotting an invasion right this very minute.

We jolly well need to keep our eyes peeled.

We can't be off-guard though, Dunga.

Even though this isn't specifically about aliens, it doesn't mean that they aren't plotting an invasion right this very minute.

We jolly well need to keep our eyes peeled.

But that's exactly what the aliens want to do to us, peel our eyes!!!

It's the day that's to be designated Independence Day if independence is voted for. It's the anniversary of the Union of the crowns (1600's sometime) and the Act of Union (1707) that actually joined the two together politically

MO your relatives don't include our sexy friend, original star of the not Fat News thread, who goes round 'seeding' all those women does it?

http://www.snowjapan...-kids-fat-news/

:veryshocked:

(Surely not, but just to verify).

Hey, never know. Can only dream.

Would be cool to be related to someone famous.

Would be interesting to know if I know any of them.....Dundee isn't so big and usually people are known by someone that u know :)

Let's just hope it's not the Cummings from the "Dales area" :)