but its simply not true, because I often see people eating lunch at 11am, 2pm whetever.

and anyway, i bet its exactly the same outside japan. most people get hungry around 12 o clock so that is when most people go and eat. i dont think there is any 'rule' that the japanese slavishly follow.

Japan is like an ant farm. the individual doesnt matter and there are times and ways that things are done, and they are done that way and that time every day.

"i dont think there is any 'rule' that the japanese slavishly follow".

I dont agree.

I am not saying that it isnt heaving at lunchtime. I am saying that it is the same outside japan, because lunchtime is a natural time to eat lunch.

Also, i am saying that it is a cliche to say that the japanese have no individuality, and it amazes me how westerners who actually live in this country can maintain that belief. It's a little tricky, and to some extent I agree that the japanese can be drone-like, but I think sometimes people take that view to a non-real extreme.

Got to disagree with you too bobby12.

I often go with Japanese friends and lunchtime is lunchtime, they don't consider going early or late even thought they know it's going to be busy. So that's what my experience tells me.

"lunchtime" is not just a japanese thing...

every ski resort I have been to all over the world is the same...come noon, 75% of the mountain is waiting in line for their curry or burgers...

another good reason to pack a sandwhich for the lifts...

danz

My experience? There is a MAD rush for lunch much more than in other countries. Go at that time and the slopes are empty.

Put me down for a vote for official lunchtime concept.