The five surviving members of the Monty Python team are to reform for a stage show, bringing to an end years of will-they-won't-they speculation about one of the most popular and influential comedy troupes of all time.

Terry Jones confirmed to the BBC that he, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin were "putting on a show", following a report about the reunion in Tuesday's Sun.

The surviving members of the seminal BBC comedy show – sixth Python Graham Chapman died of cancer in 1989 – will announce more details of their reunion plans at a press conference in London on Thursday, a spokesman for the group confirmed.

-----

As much as I liked them, probably a bad idea.

Idle, Cleese and Jones have all since taken to Twitter to confirm that it is true. Jones went on to confirm it would be a live stage show and added with commendable honesty: “I’m quite excited about it. I hope it makes us a lot of money. I hope to be able to pay off my mortgage.”

Cleese needs to pay off his divorce etc.

I went to see Cleese when he came out to Australia a year or so ago on a tour to help pay for his divorce costs. He was still very funny. If all of them came out to tour Australia with this show I'd probably go see them.

They announced a one off show, but open to touring it a bit.

I heard that the Cleese show (wasn't it called "Paying off my divorce" Tour?) was all read off a teleprompter with no adlib.

No?

Mix of old and new stuff apparently.

I'm often not into reunions and stuff. And I may well be age-ist, but I'm never keen on seeing bands and stuff I like performing when they're older and fatter.

They rarely work out well do they and more often than not induce cringes. And poo on the memories.

Would be happy to be shown I'm wrong with Pythin though.

But hey it's their career isn't it. Can't blame them for wanting to earn some money.

And now for something completely the same: Monty Python have added five more nights to their five-night run at London's O2 next summer.

The news will be music to the ears of the many people who failed to get tickets on Monday, when the first night sold out in 43.5 seconds. Four further nights between 2-5 July were added, selling out within the hour.[

How can something like that sell out in 43.5 seconds?

:lol:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...