One of the revelations of our new house, not that we're totally used to it, for me anyway.... is the bath.

We got a really nice one, with those aqua jets which are fun, but I'm totally digging the daily bath.

The whole process, 'ordering' the bath, being told it's ready, getting in it (nice and big)....

Today the lady put in a 'hinoki' バスのロマン and it felt great. I smell good too now post bath.

I do have a question though.

Which is cheaper:

- new water every day or

- reheating yesterday's water.

I would guess the latter, but thought even if just because of reusing the water, but thought I'd check.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be careful of all that pounding in the shower.....you could slip...

Slightly off subject, but we just got our first electric bill and even though we have a 100Amp ring main have our electric storage heaters running 24/7 and the ventilation system running 24/7 too plus

I'm the same tubby. I hate the time it takes to have a bath at home. I only shower. But I too love onsens.

Dumbstick personally if I were into such things I wouldn't want to bath in yesterday's water. The water is full of all the dirt and grime you washed off yourself yesterday isn't it?

Go Native lived in Niseko, not Japan, and so can be forgiven for not knowing anything about Japanese customs but....

The tradition is to get clean and wash yourself properly before you get into the bath.

Therefore the bath water effectively does not become grimy with that gaijin dirt.

:thumbsup:

weird thing is I hate taking a bath........BUT I love going to onsen!!

In my house, shower is king

Interesting you should say that, as this was me before.

Our bath was tiny and, well pretty horrid really. I almost never used it.

That's why it's a revelation, because I absolutely love the bath thing now.

It's sort of like being in a posh onsen every evening.

I'm kind of sad I missed out on the experience until now.

I recommend those making their own house to put good thought into the bath. It's fab!

I'm not sure about the most cost effective way of having a bath, but using the previous nights bath water for the next days clothes washing saves a bit on the water bill.

I'm the same tubby. I hate the time it takes to have a bath at home. I only shower.

Am I correct in remembering that you were the dude who only has that shower a couple of times a week?

Go Native lived in Niseko, not Japan, and so can be forgiven for not knowing anything about Japanese customs but....

Very good!

If you recycle bath water, it gets progressively nyuru nyuru or slimy. 40C is almost perfect for bacteria. I guess a bathroom with a big tub of hot water in it will be much more humid, meaning your bathroom will get mouldier much quicker.

With the cost of heating, I dunno how eco cute do the reheating. With a gas boiler, the hotter the water going in, the less gas used in getting the water up to temp.

Some people that are really into onsens make a note of which ones recycle and reheat their water and only go to ones that don't. Ones that don't usually have signs up.

Our bath has a big window that looks onto a little garden with a Japanese maple. We had early snow this year and that pulled off the leaves just as the tree hit peak, but its normally quite a show. I only go to onsens with decent rotemburos now.

If you're designing a house, its often possible to include a little tsubo niwa by the bathroom. Some folks have them in built-up areas with overlooking neighbours. A bit of screening is all you need.

I have lived in 2 places in Japan.

First off was a tiny place that had an old bath in it. It was almost square/cubed in shape and I would guess less than 1m. Tiny, I could hardly get in all crouched up. Now that was not something that appealed.

In my place now, it's not the newest bath but it is way way better and I do enjoy getting in there a few times a week. In winter it's way better than a quick shower which almost seems to be a "have to do" thing rather than an experience or real pleasure.

Well we always change the water everyday even though it is clean I just think it feels cleaner to use new water and as far as I can tell it takes more energy and time to reheat cold watet up to the set temperature than it does t simply fill the bath with new hot water.