• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be careful of all that pounding in the shower.....you could slip...

Slightly off subject, but we just got our first electric bill and even though we have a 100Amp ring main have our electric storage heaters running 24/7 and the ventilation system running 24/7 too plus

http://www.netplaces...eone-offers.htm

I've never seen this custom in 11 years of living and going to onsens in Japan

http://www.netplaces...eone-offers.htm

Education is a wonderful. I suggest your in need of it come to commenting on Japan. 11 years you say! Are you a ignorant person and inept to the locals, there customs and feeling? Or is it that you can take the boy out of the United Kingdom but can not take United kingdom out of the boy? That was such a foolish remark to issue on a Japanese/English public forum. If you do not agree with information on this public forum I suggest some research on a reputable search engine like Google! Surely you have heard of this site.I Think not by the attitude you have display about this subject.

It may well be an old custom but I do not think it is common place.

I would guess that it also will have less relevance as the years go on as well.

In my many years in Japan, I have never seen it or been offered. Thankfully.

Obviously I am also in need of an education.

Biggen......come on.....all Tubby said was that "He" has never seen it in the 11 years he has been here. I'll be "foolish" too and say I've never seen it and I've been here for 20 years. Of course there are instances of the old custom but if it was really that common there is no way I wouldn't have seen it by now. We aren't attacking or denying it doesn't exist....we're just saying maybe it's not as it was in the....say, Meiji, Taisho or Showa era's. :wave:

The first time I knew about the back washing custom was from my father in law many years ago. He told me that it is quite normal between close friends and family to do this at an onsen, although I have never been offered it luckily, and I have seen the back washing thing done a few times at some of the onsens I have been to, (I have been to maybe a few hundred actually) and only seen it a few times so it doesn't happen that often.

Don't know if it is a dying custom or a custom that never really took off.

Back to those bath salt/powder things.

I like them too.

Which one should we have today.

Girly, but yes, I like it.

We had one the other day that was almost....... slimey. Actually not almost, it was slimey. Wasn't too keen on that one.

It may be a custom, a quirk, or a habit, but no thanks.

But washing my son's back comes very naturally to me. After I've done that he goes off to put the ice water into the hot onsen to every oyagi's annoyance while I wash myself and pretend I don't know the little monkey.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to getting some of those bath tablets. Got some for smell and some that are supposed to help sore muscles. Don't know if they work but they leave you smelling good and the bath helps the muscles on its own.