The cost of leaving a rental apartment/house

A swapping of positions would be enough to make those thoughts change, I'm pretty sure.

I have a friend who has some rental apartments here in Japan. As Black Mountain just said, he doesn't make a huge amount on the places - Mr Wiggles mentioned it is a renters market, rental prices are kept low - and if he had to fix up things over and above what is vaguely termed 'wear and tear', it probably wouldn't be worth doing. He is in fact on the verge of getting out of it.

We roughed up flooring in 2 of our rooms, one in area of about 50x100cm by some seemingly very rough castors. Real mess actually and those floors will have to be replaced.

Busted up a section of wall in the hallway.

And a few other things.

We are not being asked to pay for basic redecorating.

I think you have answered your question

My question was actually really asking other people's experiences.

;)

A swapping of positions would be enough to make those thoughts change, I'm pretty sure.

I have a friend who has some rental apartments here in Japan. As Black Mountain just said, he doesn't make a huge amount on the places - Mr Wiggles mentioned it is a renters market, rental prices are kept low - and if he had to fix up things over and above what is vaguely termed 'wear and tear', it probably wouldn't be worth doing. He is in fact on the verge of getting out of it.

well we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm not sure where you live, but given how Japan works, 15 man is not much. Id say, they really do like you. Think of it this way; its within their legal power to charge you for each individual piece of damage. Of course in reality they'll pay some guy who will do it all together for a certain amount much less; but the landlord can charge you a lot, its true. A small scuff can be several man. So, I'd say you got off pretty easy.

I paid 50man to move into my apartment this April. That was "Super-kun" rates apparently (it normally would have been more). We scoured the apartment before signing to confirm any already existent issues. WIthout damage, it will cost juu-suu-man-en again in two years just to renew the contract.

So to me, 15 man sounds pretty kind indeed. ;)

Congrats on a new house though. I'm sure you aren't pleased to hear about a new expenses, so yeah, I would just try to ignore it. Gaijin surcharge and whatnot.

So TB, if you were a landlord, and your tenant punched a hole in the wall, you would take there deposit but not charge them for the actual cost of repairing the wall?

I'm not a landlord, and my tenant (as I don't have one) hasn't punched a hole in my wall. Whats the point of the security deposit then if its not for repairing wear n tear?

**EDIT But i suppose in that instance, the hole in the wall wasn't caused by wear n tear so perhaps they should be charged for it........

Take tons of photos when you move into a new rental place.

:)

I know someone (gaijin) where the landlord tried to blame them for damage, she took him to court (with lots of photos) and won. Another person told me that after 10 years it's all wear and tear, but I guess it depends. You could actually contact tenants right associations or some kind of official tenant association to find out. Tenants have a lot more rights here than you'd imagine. It's apparently very hard to evict a tenant, even if you have good reason to, for instance...

I've been in my place over 10 years, and have wondered about how that will go down when I finally move out one day. There's a bit of carpet damage - but there are no longer carpets in the other apartments, every time someone moved out of one they'd replace them with lino, so they'll do the same in my case so that might be wear and tear. Some floorboards are a little loose, I'm not going to pay for that, not my fault, I've told them about it and they dont' really want to do anything while I'm there cos they'd have to pull up the carpets, which is hard to do when there's furniture, etc, in the place... some wallpaper has peeled on a wall outside the bathroom from moisture - they said they'd do that next time I go away (ie if I'm gone for at least several weeks). The only thing I'm thinking of that might be a big issue could be some clove oil stains on the bathtub. (clove oil is good for mould, little did I know that you can't leave it on bathtubs for long or it'll stain)... it's a blue tub, so not sure if I can get the stains out -

Slight thread hijack - if anyone happens to have any advice on how to remove the stains, please let me know - it's not a Japanese style tub, it's western style. I'm guessing it's acrylic, but perhaps it's fibreglass. Not sure how to tell the difference. The apartment block I think was built in the mid 80s (guessing).. any help on that greatly appreciated - a new tub mightn't be too costly but ripping the old one out and installing it could be, and I'm not sure if that would be part of wear and tear... for all I know they might charge for it and then get a professional cleaner to get the stains out without me realizing it's possible!

Okay, back on topic... congrats on the new place, and good luck with the deposit DumbStick.

Sunrise, due to my clumsiness we this year had to replace a couple of the bath wall panels. Apart from the materials cost, I was pleasantly surprised that the labor cost was fairly low -- two workers, most of a full day, and they had to completely remove the tub, replace the wall panels, then put it all back together again. Just FYI on possible costs.

Well with out place we paid a 150,000 yen deposit and when we left, we got the landlord to come and take a look, he will then contact the cleaning company get them to clean the house and if their are any repairs do those and what is left from the 150,000 we get back.

When we first paid that deposit we basically paid it with the understanding that although in theory we should get it back we know in reality that we wont get it all back.

So anything we get back is a bonus, if we don't, we are not bothered.

Sunrise, due to my clumsiness we this year had to replace a couple of the bath wall panels. Apart from the materials cost, I was pleasantly surprised that the labor cost was fairly low -- two workers, most of a full day, and they had to completely remove the tub, replace the wall panels, then put it all back together again. Just FYI on possible costs.

Thanks DiGriz, good to know, I wonder how much a new tub costs... anyway if I can find a way to successfully clean it so much the better.

Dumbstick, I mentioned gaijin cos that's the only situation I know of. Oh wait, another one too - another gaijin - took a landlord to court for trying to rip her off out of getting her deposit back, probably similar kind of situation to the one I already mentioned, she also won, though I think it took a lot longer.

All very interesting.

I know in my situation, I'm just not interested in a fight and all of the effort and time and stress involved in that.

If what they were asking were outrageous I might be somewhat more interested, but it would seem they are not so I'm just letting the lady deal with that side of things.