The cost of leaving a rental apartment/house

I recall speaking about this before but can't find it.

As many of you probably know, we have moved into our house which obviously involved leaving our rented place.

There were some things that were beyond "wear and tear" after so many years that would perhaps have us being asked for money. But I was pretty surprised to hear them asking us for 15 man. Apparently the "whole cost" of doing the apartment up is 60m, and they are being extremely fair and kind to us - as we were such good lovely customers - by only asking for 15m.

My thinking is that after being in there for so long, and seeing them re-do the apartment next door 4 times while we were there, and nonce for us, that they might swallow any costs. Especially as in my view they are going to pretty much have to redo it all up.

The lady is far more accepting of stuff like this than I am. Anyway, she's in charge of that and will pay it off, the less I think about it the better.

Is this just one of those cases where you have no choice but to bend over and get smacked on the botty?

I'd be keen to hear of how much other people have paid when leaving a place (along with a few details - obviously it's going to be very much case by case).

It's unfortunately one of those areas that is really vague.

They say it will cost them 60 man but you pay 21 man. They thing they are doing you a favour. You obviously don't.

It's impossible to say in your case of course without knowing details, but lots of people leaving a place need to pay something for damages.

As I said Tubby, there is damage I will admit that.

Flooring in a few places in a few rooms is a bit ripped up and damaged, and there's some other things.

I was expecting to have to pay for something. I just suppose I wasn't expecting 15 man.

And knowing it will cost them 60man doesn't particularly make it better!

But what can I do? Can't think of anything. And got to admit I'm still pretty knackered and don't feel up for one! She knows the people, they are near neighbourhood, etc - "let it be"!

I did have to pay an extra 8 man at my old place.

It was actually less than I was expecting because there was some Error404-made damage.

Anything over and above wear and tear and it's open for an invoice. As you might expect, and if you were the owner would be thinking!

As others have said, it's impossible to comment on your case without knowing details but I have heard much worse, DumbStick.

If it does actually cost 60man then perhaps you have been 'let off'.

Probably best to think of it like that anyway!

:friend:

Being a landlord and managing my own property we just had a tenant that left a property pretty average and we just kept the deposit ( 4 weeks rent) although we could have repainted and rectified everything and it would have cost alot more.

It could be a shitfight and maybe a courtcase to get the money so not worth it.

Unsure of how it works in Japan though you could offer to rectify the issues but then there maybe loos of rent included in that figure.

Tough call as I know what ballpark repairs cost. For me it would depend on how long I was there and the shape the place was in when I moved in. Flooring is tricky as you can't just replace one section and that stuff is pricey. Tatami for me is a total scam. I had a room in an apartment that I never used and kept the blinds closed and was charged for replacing the tatami. I KNOW the bastards just took it outside and put it in the sun to freshen it up and put it right back in...

The 60man talk in your case is totally bogus, though. I'd want all that itemized even if you are "only" paying a third of it.

We are going to get it all itemised.

You know what, I actually don't think the 60 man is bogus actually.

They are basically completely refitting the place.

They'll need to replace pretty much everything.

It was many years without a refresh.

In my case, in the last place we lived we paid the 'deposit' of about 26man. When we left after only three years the invoice we got was for, surprise surprise, 26man. At that time I had a friend who worked in the real-estate business (who was helping to find our new place) who told me that it was a scam. He simply told us to complain and the price would go down. I asked to see an itemised list of what damages we had to pay for and was shocked to see things like 1500¥ for holes in the wall where we had hung a piece of paper with a tack. The worst part was that we had cleaned the place to a better state than when we had moved in.

Tbh, I went a bit nuts on the apartment agency and we ended up getting back 10man from them.

That being said, I'm sure it's case by case.

I've looked into buying a second hand apartment as an investment, and the books I read in Japanese saw redecorating as running cost you budget for and subtract from lifetime return on investment, not as something you make the tenant pay for. There is a series of videos on Youtube by one investor showing how owners can do minor repairs and refresh their apartments without paying painters and decorators to do it. The idea being that landlords can't just get agents and other third parties to do all the work and still get a good yield any more. It's a buyers' (renters') market now, not a sellers' (landlords').

The foam core tatami everyone uses these days are cheap. 4000 yen each or something. Ones in rental apartments will be the cheapest ones going with the cheapest edging.

If you've got kids or pets, your deposit is probably a lost cause. It'll be the same if you put lots of pictures up or have heavy furniture or weightlifting gear that divots the floor. For ordinary adults and ordinary usage though, I reckon "wear and tear" should cover pretty much everything. Scratches on flooring, peeling wallpaper, slight fading of flooring where furniture has been, weird coloured mark where hot water from the tap hits the sink etc.

We roughed up flooring in 2 of our rooms, one in area of about 50x100cm by some seemingly very rough castors. Real mess actually and those floors will have to be replaced.

Busted up a section of wall in the hallway.

And a few other things.

We are not being asked to pay for basic redecorating.

We roughed up flooring in 2 of our rooms, one in area of about 50x100cm by some seemingly very rough castors. Real mess actually and those floors will have to be replaced.

Busted up a section of wall in the hallway.

And a few other things.

We are not being asked to pay for basic redecorating.

I think you have answered your question

I STILL think though, that this cost has to be met by the owner after the security deposit has been deducted........yes he's lived there a long time, but that means he's being paying rent for a long time, presumably more than the mortgage payments of the property actually were......SO the owner should pay for anything over and above the security deposit and take the hit

I STILL think though, that this cost has to be met by the owner after the security deposit has been deducted........yes he's lived there a long time, but that means he's being paying rent for a long time, presumably more than the mortgage payments of the property actually were......SO the owner should pay for anything over and above the security deposit and take the hit

Don't agree with this. Margins aren't usually too big for rental places and some renters can be pretty destructive.