I hope General Snow is the best category for this.

I live in Nagano and work as a HS teacher. I've got a student studying English

under me right now, but mostly he's just an awesome boarder. Living in Nagano

he is used to the amazing conditions we have here, but he wants to go to an

English speaking country and work at a resort or enroll in some kind of advanced

"pro-making" lessons. The internet being a very vast place, I've found an

enourmous ammount of information on places. Too many to be honest.

If you were trying to make a living snowboarding, what English speaking country

would you go? Any specific resort names or programs you know of could really

help not only me, but my student out a lot!

Canada has the working holiday visa so probably easier to get a job than in the US. NZ too for when its summer in the northern hemisphere. What kind of riding does the kid do? Has he won any contests?

I reckon they have a enough money to buy one (RedBull)

Tough gig on where to go I think the best way to get famous is get your face/vids out their and showcase your stuff.

Find some one who is filming and make your self noticed BC and Free riding is the best place to be right now

Is this a go pro teaching snowboarding thing or gnarly dude thing?

If wanting teaching qualifications, Japan have their own and the English would be a huge advantage.

Years back, we had an instructor who qualified in NZ. She would say "awesome" at everything.

Sorry I was slow to reply to this. Thanks for the information. My student doesn't speak English well now, he

just wants to. He does ride well. Big air, jumps, half pipes etc. Dunno about contests. He seems to think

there are schools that teach you how to be a pro the same way you can learn to be a scientist.

I spent a good 3 hours looking for red bull on a map but I could only find mountain dew, and that just won't cut

it.

I prefer Mountain Dew to red bull :wave:

I've never heard of pro-schools......usually for other pro sports you get scouted....I'd guess something similar by the big brand teams in snowboarding would happen. You get seen at comps etc and taken on board

from what i know, to get sponsored your options are;

contests - wins/podiums

film - video parts

expeditions - do something unique you can sell to magazines/manufacturers.

maybe he is thinking something like camp of champions in whistler. its not a turn-pro school (i dont think there is such a thing) but there are plenty of camps that have pro teachers.

• Like 1

What kind of age are we talking?

My friends children (now 14 and 12) have been training for years on skis, but that was definitely scouted. They got Salomon sponsorship and the training camps were offered up from there. They do the NZ Winter, then off to Colorado for Dec/Jan. But they are aiming at competitions...things like World Champs and Olympics.

Is this the kind of thing he wants or is he more thinking about earning the dollars off of appearing in board movies?

Then there is the short course FYVE Camps in Colorado and Niseko... a week there and the guys would be able to tell him where he is at, and what possible future pathways might exist.

Bottom line will be that you do it because you love it, you'll be unlikely to make more than a basic living doing so. RARE few people maybe...but very unlikely.

Awesome! I will recommend the camp in Niseko and Colorado. Looks expensive though.

He is 17 and comes from a very poor family. Kid skips school to work so he can board

on the weekends. What I told him is that he should get a Job at a place like Hakuba or

Niseko and learn English from all the Aussies there.

The points made by others about working holiday visas and NZ might be another

great opportunity. Thanks guys!

hes got a very steep hill to climb if he's poor.

those camps are full of rich kids. then there are rich kids who have their own personal coaches.

its a rich mans sports no matter how you look at it. think ski racer kids.

also if hes already 17 hes pretty much too old.

anyway good luck to him.

Competitions will be the only way to become a "pro". More people get picked up that way than attending camps. If he can hit up some other skilled kids in parks he will gain experience by talking to them and seeing how they ride.