:lol:

I've only been to Hakuba 3 times.......once to Happo and twice to Goryu/47........Happo didn't have good snow at the time I was there, it started to dump the day I was leaving....typical and goryu/47 (I can never remember which one it was that I started at), first time was end of april and the snow was spring condition, good fun at the top but down low was slush puppy with the very last sliver of slightly frozen water JUST holding on at the bottom, the 2nd time was white out conditions and it was difficult to just see where you were going. Needless to say I've never had the best conditions at Hakuba to even give an opinion of it

I agree it depends on a lot of factors, weather, company, day of the week. I did 4 trips to Hakuba last season. Spent most of time at Goryu/47. My least favourite day was Happo (moguls). My favourites days were at Goryu and Tsugaike. That was based purely on the snow conditions. Also the coupon for cortina makes it a worthy contender too.

Skyline - under the pair lift - at Happo, and Cortina / Norikura because fewer people go there when its been snowing.

47 has nice views but is boring. Goryu too busy at the bottom, top runs can be good if there's fresh snow.

Even quite liked Sun Alpina - Sanosaka when the snow is good... and the excellent Ramenya by Aokiko.

Not really a clear answer, I'm afraid

I've decided to go to the Hakuba area Dec 23-25 with the wife. Its interesting to hear the complaints about Happo and 47. I am not a park rat, either. Freeride. Wife is newbie. Three days though, we don't have to go to the same park. That early in the season, should I shop around over those three days? Sounds like people like Cortina and Tsugaike as well. Would Happo be bad for a newbie?

I really enjoyed the two days at Happo One last season with Chriselle, especially skyline and bombing down on the snowboard. Great fun, and fantastic views.

Hakuba Goryu is fun but have always found it to be too crowded.

I've decided to go to the Hakuba area Dec 23-25 with the wife. Its interesting to hear the complaints about Happo and 47. I am not a park rat, either. Freeride. Wife is newbie. Three days though, we don't have to go to the same park. That early in the season, should I shop around over those three days? Sounds like people like Cortina and Tsugaike as well. Would Happo be bad for a newbie?

Happo can be very bad for a newbie boarder if it hasn't snowed because there are many moguls.

But where the bumps are... isn't where a newbie will be going anyway. There are plenty of groomed intermediate runs.

Hmmm... I wasn't quite a newbie, but definitely not bumps worthy when I found myself smack bang in there!

Visibility was poor, I thought I was up for anything...

:rollabout:

:oops:

On pretty much any given weekday after snow, they are all good :thumbsup:.

On pretty much any given weekend, it is basically a case of running the gaper gauntlet to get any good lines ;) .

But where the bumps are... isn't where a newbie will be going anyway. There are plenty of groomed intermediate runs.

Good to know - though she isn't quite up to intermediate yet. I think I need to pay for a few lessons; she only listens to me so much. She's a good hiker but as a boarder she is rather squeamish of any steepness, and knows I won't push her if she cries. Its one of those things where she'd do it for a person she didn't know in order to save herself the embarassment but just gets lazy with me.... :rolleyes: Lawdy.

I'm trying to find accomodations, and depending on how the ticket situation works out I may just try out Happo, Goryu, and perhaps one other. Thanks for the info, guys.

Yes, stay over on the Sakka side. There are lots of places to stay over there....... and the two lifts right there are about as gentle a slope as you can get. If she gets a little more adventurous you can take the Sakka Quad up a bit higher and ski right for a significantly steeper intermediate section or ski left...over to the easy out trail in front of the Indian Summer restaurant back down to the Sakka lower slopes. From the restaurant you can get some nice (inspiring) views of Skyline and the top of the mountain which you can't see down at Sakka.