Will be heading to Hakuba Goryu in February 2014 and I am considering my options of travel from and to Narita Airport. I have in the past purchased a 4 day any day JR pass outside of Japan and it made for easy simple travel arrangements but I was committed to travel by train as much as possible to get my moneys worth. This pass is now a 5 day pass and I will only be using it for up to 3 days. This coming tip I have considered staying in Tokyo a couple of nights before hitting the slopes. One option may be to catch trains to Nagano but on the return trip to Narita one option would be to catch a direct bus from Hakuba. Questions are ...is it easy to buy and reserve train seats with no use of Japanese language? How and where do I reserve a seat on the bus to return to Narita? And, is there a bus terminal in Goru?

Ask your accommodation they'll tell you the options.

For the train tickets do you mean online before or when you are there? My brother came to Japan and had no problems buying tickets there and then.

• 2 weeks later...

Take the shinkansen from Tokyo station to Nagano, then take the bus from Nagano to the bus stop at the base of Hakuba Goryu.

The trains can be booked using the ticket machines, as there is an English option available. The big JR View plazas in Tokyo tend to have someone who can understand/speak English.

Take the shinkansen from Tokyo station to Nagano, then take the bus from Nagano to the bus stop at the base of Hakuba Goryu.

The trains can be booked using the ticket machines, as there is an English option available. The big JR View plazas in Tokyo tend to have someone who can understand/speak English.

Listen to this Man.

Any bus will take 3 hours just to get you in to Nagano Prefecture. Take the Shinkansen as much as possible assuming you have the pass.

• 1 month later...