• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I only ever did the reports for all those years because of the awesome hourly rate you guys paid!   Seriously though people need to understand that it's just normal, everyday people doing the repor

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could tell me whether my local bakery will have my favorite type of bagel in stock at noon, before I go brave the elements. Forecast before 8:00 AM, please.

Give him a refund!  

• SnowJapan Admin

I just want to add a few comments here, as some people seem to think they know more about us than they actually do.

This is mostly referring to mails that we receive from time to time, like the one yesterday (but not just that one!)

I started doing simple reports many years ago (2002 I think) because I was in Yuzawa, there was no info in English and I thought it would be great to share it.

It was for fun basically, and I enjoyed it.

I can't say that the enjoy factor remains in the same way as it did because we now find ourselves posting 11 reports each day.

A lot has changed since then and every year as we try to improve them and provide more information.

They take a fair amount of time and effort and we feel a real sense of responsibility with what gets posted - the more popular ones are read by thousands of people every day. It's much more than simply posting on a personal blog or something similar - we put a lot of importance on them and take the responsibility seriously.

But as David said, we don't have to post them.

There are no promises, no contracts, no commercial backing, no advertising commitments or anything like that.

You won't see us linking up asking you to buy stuff, go somewhere, 'book now'; you won't be bombarded by never-ending awesomely epic adjectives every day; and we won't conveniently not mention stuff that isn't endlessly awesome.

No, we do them because we continue to want to post them and think it's good to have our independent non-commercially backed reports out there.

But this also means that we could stop posting them immediately if we wanted to.

We, meaning the people posting them and the people looking after the system, could be out skiing in a morning and having fun instead of gathering info and sharing it with everyone every day.

I'm only posting this because people such as the ones that seem fit to write aggressively worded complaints about our free service need to understand that they need to take them as they are. Too early, too late, too honest (yes, we get that complaint sometimes from people with 'interests'), too long, too short, not enough snowfall reported, there was 20cm not 15cm..... whatever.

We don't tell anyone else how to do their job or what to do, and don't particular enjoy strangers instructing us as to what we should do. I can't imagine that many people do like that.

But that does not mean that comments are not welcome - they always are.

And I'll take this opportunity to thank all the people involved and everyone else who does support us.

• Like 1

The laffable aspect of this is that the person who thinks they know enough to criticise what you are doing is simply demonstrating their own ignorance.

Personally I hope what has happened is that they've been acting the know-it-all at some lodge and other guests have told them conditions were "all-time" at a resort said person didn't go to just to wind them up.

• SnowJapan Admin

I/we make a point of not letting people who give such 'feedback' get us down. Rather the opposite actually. Wouldn't want them to think that they had any influence on what we do at all!

Though it's always quite good to have a few let-off-some-steam posts per season. :friend:

Happy New Year!

:wave: