Hi all - I would like to rent a car (wagon such as wingroad or if necessary larger) with 4wd, snow tyres and roof rack for skis.

I would like to rent in Tokyo to drive to Hakuba (mid january) and Nozawa adn I have tried ALL the usual companies. Best I have found is a 4wd with no roof rack or a car with roof rack but only 4WD. Most frustrating as the booking pages have the options but fail to deliver when you try to book..

Can anyone help with suggestions:

1. If I can't get a car in Tokyo then could I get one in Nagano (4wd , snow tyres and roof rack)?

2. Do you think I could make do with a 2WD plus snow tyres?

Hi Ian,

I looked into the rentacar thing a couple of years ago. It would depend on how many people you have with you. For just yourself or another person, it isn't worth it (IMO).

In Nagano, there is a Nissan Rentacar and a Toyota rentacar straight across the road from the station. If you've gone all that way via the bullet train, then you are better off paying $20 and catching the bus straight to Hakuba or Nozawa. Then you aren't paying for a car to sit in a carpark.

I've seen plenty of 2wd with snow tyres up the mountains, but it would also depend on how confident you are with driving on unfamiliar roads with snow hazards and black ice.

Try the Idemitsu service station in Hakuba. It is on the eastern side of route 148 s about 500 metres south from the Hakuba train station. It is a Hertz franchise I used in March 2013 and I hope you can speak Japanese. There is a Hertz franchise on the north side of Nagano Station but you have to consider toll charges will be on the bill when you pay. The toll are not expensive but you don,t know what extra fees Rental will put on top of the bill.

With my rental I booked for Feb next year (Small AWD with snow tyres) for 21 day will cost me $1100 AUD. Remember 0 alcohol limit are enforce. So if your going to drink don,t drive. So think hard about renting a car in Japan if you thinking of hit the piss while on holiday because even if you have stack in the afternoon after a big night you will be over the limit. Will renting a car but a damper on your holiday? The shuttle bus are a good free service and will get you to the lift and gondola before opening.

the rental car agencies used to have ski/snowboard racks in winter but a few years ago they stopped doing it as they had a couple ripped from the roof due to the wind getting under the snowboard and ripping it off.......well that was the story I heard, dunno how true it is

the rental car agencies used to have ski/snowboard racks in winter but a few years ago they stopped doing it as they had a couple ripped from the roof due to the wind getting under the snowboard and ripping it off.......well that was the story I heard, dunno how true it is

Aren't you supposed to put them in ski boxes which are designed to give down force.

Thanks for the comments from all. And also good warning on drinking

BTW we have a family of 5 and 5 skis so quite a bit of gear.

I see oxsnowbum found a roof rack from Toyota - Was that recently? toyota have told me they do not have any roof racks in nagano!!

Alternatively if we were to use buses instead - we are staying at Goryu so does anyone know how easy it is to get form there to the other resorts by public bus - including Cortina?

Thanks

im renting from toyota sapporo this upcoming january. was painless and easy.

im not surprised they dont have roof racks on honshu.

i attempted to rent from them on honshu but they dont seem to have their shit together, didnt know about availability, hard communicating and just didnt want my money generally.

i stayed at goryu the past 2 years. for a family its gonna be a nightmare getting around by public transport.

for me, as a young guy who's used to backpacking, it was easy but getting to other resorts took about 30-60 minutes each day on trains/buses or a combo of both. i dont mind this as it gives me time to listen to my podcasts.

• Like 1

im renting from toyota sapporo this upcoming january. was painless and easy.

im not surprised they dont have roof racks on honshu.

i attempted to rent from them on honshu but they dont seem to have their shit together, didnt know about availability, hard communicating and just didnt want my money generally.

i stayed at goryu the past 2 years. for a family its gonna be a nightmare getting around by public transport.

for me, as a young guy who's used to backpacking, it was easy but getting to other resorts took about 30-60 minutes each day on trains/buses or a combo of both. i dont mind this as it gives me time to listen to my podcasts.

Thanks - as I suspected your answer may be - I had assumed with all those Japanese cars I would have been able to rent one easily but as you sya they do not seem to want to go our of their way to offer what their own website says is available!

I see oxsnowbum found a roof rack from Toyota - Was that recently? toyota have told me they do not have any roof racks in nagano!!

Alternatively if we were to use buses instead - we are staying at Goryu so does anyone know how easy it is to get form there to the other resorts by public bus - including Cortina?

Thanks

I drive shuttle bus for a hotel. Everyone wants to go to Cortina so I had 2 runs out to Cortina 8.00am and 10.00 am. Last year Cortina started a pick-up shuttle bus servise for Goryu to Cortina directly no other stops and drop you back at Goryu by 5.30 pm . It picked up at 7.30am out front of Sultana. The cost was Y 5000 per head. Ok, it sound good so far but it will be a hassle get to 5 people organise and have breakfast and get your gear and group to the pick up spot before 7.30 am. Most hotels do not start serving breakfast until 7.00 am and no refunds if you miss the bus. If you decide to hire a car. You will still have to leave before 7.30 or risk running to gauntlet. Like i said everyone want to go to Cortina so the road out and up to Cortina is very busy during January at that time in the morning. You will find people in 2WD putting on chain only when they can not go any further. It is MAD. You will have to have a good sense of humour to overcome the greef you could and will encounter. Here a tip If it is dumping I would pull over at bottom at the Otari turn off and wait for a bus and hook in behind it. Because I have have seen it dump 40cm between the snowplows on that road up to Cortina. January is the mad month on and off the slopes. That why I advise people to go Hakuba in February. If I was you and you really wanted to go to Cortina catch the shuttle I have spoken about by your self. With a family in tow you will need a good sense of Humour. I again would advise you to stay local and have a hassle free day and never go to Cortina on weekend during January. If I was you I would consider going to little resort south of Goryu to hit. Look I am not try to turn you off. It can be the best snow trip of your life or it could be you worst. The last thing I want to do is put you off Hakuba and I don,t want you going away disappointed also. The town needs tourist and I have a lot of local friends who earn a living from the foreign tourist trade. I can help you out with advise so you and your family can have that magic snow trip. here just one little tip. Most hotels will state ski in and ski out but in Goryu there is only about 10 or so self-contain accommodation which can state that. The local ski etiquette is no skiing to the roads. A lot of people still do it because the hotel where they are staying will tell you it is OK but is not. The local get real piss off and that local you piss off could be your taxi driver or the bar-person serving you that night. I can go on and on about this subject. You are welcome to email me if want any advise about getting the best out of your trip.

I've not done it in the last year or two, but advising people against driving to Cortina early morning on a weekend during peak is probably helpful. Especially if the people involved have the option of going on a weekday.

Thanks

I drive shuttle bus for a hotel. Everyone wants to go to Cortina so I had 2 runs out to Cortina 8.00am and 10.00 am. Last year Cortina started a pick-up shuttle bus servise for Goryu to Cortina directly no other stops and drop you back at Goryu by 5.30 pm . It picked up at 7.30am out front of Sultana. The cost was Y 5000 per head. Ok, it sound good so far but it will be a hassle get to 5 people organise and have breakfast and get your gear and group to the pick up spot before 7.30 am. Most hotels do not start serving breakfast until 7.00 am and no refunds if you miss the bus. If you decide to hire a car. You will still have to leave before 7.30 or risk running to gauntlet. Like i said everyone want to go to Cortina so the road out and up to Cortina is very busy during January at that time in the morning. You will find people in 2WD putting on chain only when they can not go any further. It is MAD. You will have to have a good sense of humour to overcome the greef you could and will encounter. Here a tip If it is dumping I would pull over at bottom at the Otari turn off and wait for a bus and hook in behind it. Because I have have seen it dump 40cm between the snowplows on that road up to Cortina. January is the mad month on and off the slopes. That why I advise people to go Hakuba in February. If I was you and you really wanted to go to Cortina catch the shuttle I have spoken about by your self. With a family in tow you will need a good sense of Humour. I again would advise you to stay local and have a hassle free day and never go to Cortina on weekend during January. If I was you I would consider going to little resort south of Goryu to hit. Look I am not try to turn you off. It can be the best snow trip of your life or it could be you worst. The last thing I want to do is put you off Hakuba and I don,t want you going away disappointed also. The town needs tourist and I have a lot of local friends who earn a living from the foreign tourist trade. I can help you out with advise so you and your family can have that magic snow trip. here just one little tip. Most hotels will state ski in and ski out but in Goryu there is only about 10 or so self-contain accommodation which can state that. The local ski etiquette is no skiing to the roads. A lot of people still do it because the hotel where they are staying will tell you it is OK but is not. The local get real piss off and that local you piss off could be your taxi driver or the bar-person serving you that night. I can go on and on about this subject.

We are pretty much committed to staying at Goryu so we are looking to drive to the other resorts. Is all driving "mad" or just Cortina? Do you know where I can hire chains in the area?

• SnowJapan Admin

John-San,

If I edit your post, it does not mean that I want you to go back and put what I edited out back in.

We've had this before. I'm quite certain that you know exactly what I am referring to. I'm not going to go through this again. Please stop it. Thanks.