Ok, This has probably been done before, so please bear with me. Renting 4wd from Chiotse feb 1 to feb 20 2014. Looking for advice from people who have done this before. What is the best way ?

I live in South Island New Zealand and have lots of experience driving in snow and ice. I understand i will looking at app $1500 nzd for the rental.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

96000 jpy = nzd $ 1200 , still within my budget . so not insane.
It would be insane to limit my plans and objectives to resort skiing and public transport.

i'm not saying it's overpriced for japanese standard, it's still generally super expensive compared to other costs like lift tickets and accomodation. Don't forget i'm euro, you ozzies and kiwis have a different perspective on cost of living.

if you have the cash go for it, i'd do it for sure if i was you. unluckily for me i have to take the cheap road

96000 jpy = nzd $ 1200 , still within my budget . so not insane.
It would be insane to limit my plans and objectives to resort skiing and public transport.

I reckon thats an ok price not sure what you mean though by limiting yourself to resort skiing are you going cross country skiing?

i think he means, without a rental car he wouldnt be able to achieve his ski plans which probably involves driving around and taking lines outside resort boundaries.

thats the primanry reason why i am renting a car.

Well yeah something like that. Why compete with the crowds at the resorts when with a bit of effort and big dose of humility in respect to avalanche terrain I can ski untracked all day long. I wouldnt call it crosscountry, more controlled skiing in variable backcountry terrain.

The rewards are great but so can be the risks, It all depends on your experience. So yes i need wheels.