Hi all,

Just wondering the difference in crowds between January and February? I have been told that it gets less crowded after Chinese New Year (31 Jan), and also considering the end of Aus school holidays the end of January. Does this make much of a difference in crowds, or is Feburary almost as crowded as January?

I'm looking to plan a trip and untracked (and thus less crowded) is a high priority. But it looks like Jan may be more convenient for me...

Cheers,

Tom

Perspective:

I would say that over 95% of skijo in Japan are totally unaffected by "Chinese New Year" and anything to do with Australia.

The crowds are related to Japanese holidays. Weekends are busy through January and February. Weekdays depending on where you are can be close to empty.

Of course if you are thinking about the obvious big names for Australian and Asian visitors then said holidays will apply.

Where are you going?

Where are you planning on going? As Muika said the vast majority of ski resorts are unaffected by the things you mentioned. In fact, there are plenty of places that have almost no foreigners at all. The biggest difference at those resorts is between weekday and weekend.

I suppose it is bound to happen but there seems to be this image that every slope is full of foreigners.

It's a tiny minority that has lots of foreigners. A small number that has a few. The vast majority have close to none.

I was looking at Niseko after getting some advice from this forum. I suppose that classfies as one of the big Aussy destinations. I want as much untracked powder runs through trees as possible. I'm no expert, no avi skills, no interest in big hikes, but am quite experienced. Don't need massivley deep powder, just as untracked as I can get, whilst staying mostly in bounds, but off piste. I know it is a hard to find and am still open to other suggestions, but Niseko seemed like a good option after great advice from people on this forum ;-)

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/23106-10-day-powder-snowboarding-trip-recommendation/

So really, not too much difference between Jan and Feb then?

15 years, with maybe 5 days a year on average. I started when I was maybe 10-15 after skiing since 5. I have ridden a bit of knee deep powder and managed fine (except when it got a bit flatter). I have mainly ridden our 'hills' in Aus with a bit of riding in Chile & France. I have not really come into any terrain that has challenged me too much though, but then again there isn't much here in Aus that can :-) I spend most of my time 'off-piste' (as much as you can in Australia) chasing those few days powder days we get here in Aus, spending most of it off piste but in bounds.

Never anything extreme though. No big hikes, no waist deep powder, never used a powder board. My love of board sports (surfing, kitesurfing), also helps a little bit. I would say I am competent, but am not experienced, especially in Japan like conditions.

Mate, CNY is the busiest time of the year for Niseko. Jan 31 to Feb 10, the place will be packed with Hongkers, Sings, Malays, Thais, Aussies, Brits, as well as some Japanese (<-not many though).

You want non-tracked? Even if you pay for the first tracks ride, there'd be 350 people in front of you. And by mid morning, the inbounds and tree runs will be more tracked than Susukino Suzie.

Ever seen a funnel of people 5 wide 100m long leading to the gondola stairs? Bring your camera.

And the dinner options. What options! Forget walk-in, book days in advance and at several places 'cos someone will "lose" your reservation.

But don't worry. If you're a city boy with a small town girl, you'd probably find a singer in a smokey room, the smell of wine and cheap perfume, and you could keep looking 'cos it goes on and on and on and on.

While working hard to get your fill, everybody wants a thrill, payin' anything for a roll n slice.

Some will win, some will lose, some were born to swing and chew

Oh the queuing never ends it goes on and on and on and on.

Don't stop believing, hold on to the feelin'

I know you say this and I've heard it millions of times and I actually have only been 1 time......BUT it was CNY when I was there and we didn't book any place and still managed to eat. Perhaps if you are trying to get into the swanky places then it might be booked, but I really didn't see the supposed crowds at CNY as a problem. We saw loads of restaurants and bars with hardly any people in them, yeah the resort was busy but we still got great runs in deep powder, lift lines weren't that bad (I've waited a lot longer in Kagura where CNY isn't an issue).

The queue lines for the Quad and gondola through jan/feb are quile long in the mornings. at Hirafu.

Trees get tracked out by 10 or 11 am..

You have to hit it hard first up.

Who eats at swanky restaurants? meh. only yuppies.. :tohoku:

Thanks for all the replies!

So looking at going between 23rd Jan -2nd Feb at this stage. I know it is will be busy, but any additional recommendations on resorts closish to Sapporo to meet my requirements would be appreciated :-)

Ur going to be staying in Sapporo? Teine and Kokusai are right in the doorstep.....midweek will be quiet, Kiroro is around the coast a bit, Rusutsu is 90 mins by car away and Niseko is about 1.5-2hrs depending on roads. Buses go to all resorts, Furano, Kamui etc are a couple of hours the other way