We moved into our house yesterday.

Some bloke 'from the NHK' came round literally as we closed the door asking for cash.

Told him to go away are our heads were exploding and we were as tired as a person could be and were unable to talk.

The git just came back just now.

Who are these people?

Do they lie waiting to pounce?

Are they NHK employees or do-goody neighbourhood people commissioned by NHK to ambush newcomers?

I'd have much more patience if they came round a bit after we had moved in, and not come back the next day when we were clearly moving in yesterday. As it is, he has right royally pissed me off with the total disregard to our situation he has shown.

And what's the situation with this?

Are we legally required to pay?

Or can we simply refuse? (Legally)?

Got my back right up this has.

Thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you're supposed to pay. I understand there is not much they can do if you don't, but we do pay.

NHK has just about the only decent programming on some days.

Do be careful about what you are paying for, though. There is a basic fee for the standard broadcast NHK, then a separate (much higher) fee for the BS cable channels. We don't get cable, so don't have to pay the second fee. But if you have any kind of cable service, the BS channels pretty much come automatically. Though I think if you don't pay the BS fee, they simply block part of the screen with a box of text or something, so maybe that one is optional?

Thanks Metabo.

Actually we (esp. my lady) do probably watch NHK more than most other stuff, but I just wanted to know what the situation is here.

Like I said, this blokes attitude and actions have just annoyed me big time. Being extremely tired has not helped.

He has made me more inclined to not want to pay if I don't actually need to.

By law we are Allred required to pay, NHK was smart enough to bribe some politician to get it passed as a law, but too stupid to think that the law must be enforced, so there is nothing that NHK can do to you to make you pay for it. We don't pay, and unless the law changes, we never will.

That is not very nice of NHK to just turn up at your house and demand payment when you just moved in. They got no manners or respect.

We haven't had that problem here though, because we only got Hikari TV. Not bothered to even get the cable TV connected, because except for the news there is nothing worth watching on normal TV anyway, just eating competitions, shouting, crappy game shows, more shouting, adverts by the millions and more shouting!!!

There are a couple of programmes my daughter likes to watch, but they can all be viewed on the internet anyway.

If the NHK dudes came around here though asking for money when we had just moved in they would not have received a very warm reception at all.

We haven't had that problem here though, because we only got Hikari TV. Not bothered to even get the cable TV connected, because except for the news there is nothing worth watching on normal TV anyway, just eating competitions, shouting, crappy game shows, more shouting, adverts by the millions and more shouting!!!

There are a couple of programmes my daughter likes to watch, but they can all be viewed on the internet anyway.

If the NHK dudes came around here though asking for money when we had just moved in they would not have received a very warm reception at all.

Your points are actually irrelevant.

Own a tv, you should pay NHK - whether you actually watch it or not.

I'm not saying it's an abetastic idea, but that's the 'deal' (that you don't agree with!).

Own a tv, you should pay NHK.

I'm not saying it's an abetastic idea, but that's the 'deal' (that you don't agree with!).

I disagree, I don't have NHK, I only have Hikari TV, which I am paying for per month. I only need to pay for NHK if I indeed am using their broadcast which I am not, I don't even have a TV cable connected to my house so why the hell would I need to pay for it?

If I actually viewed their programmes (NHK) then yes I would expect to pay, if they asked extremely nicely, but not when I am not even connected to any wires. No way!

As far as I know, you have a tv in the house = you are down for NHK payment.

You don't have to like it or agree with it.

Different issue...can you (if you so wished) get NHK via this 'hikari' you talk of?

Just guessing but on the evidence given, the guy was lying in wait and is one of your new neighbours or good mates with an overly gossipy one of them.

Perhaps you use the polite form, "f@@k off de gozaimasu".

Own a tv, you should pay NHK.

I disagree, I don't have NHK, I only have Hikari TV, which I am paying for per month. I only need to pay for NHK if I indeed am using their broadcast which I am not, I don't even have a TV cable connected to my house so why the hell would I need to pay for it?

If I actually viewed their programmes (NHK) then yes I would expect to pay, if they asked extremely nicely, but not when I am not even connected to any wires. No way!

It doesn't matter if you watch NHK or not. That argument will not fly with the NHK guy. The only valid argument you can make is that you don't own a television set.

Why should I pay the TV Receiving Fee to NHK simply because I own a TV set?

The Broadcast Law of Japan (1950) applies to all residents of Japan, regardless of nationality. NHK is established under this law as a public broadcaster operated on the basis of receiving fees levied fairly on all viewers. Every owner of a television set is thereby required by law to enter into a Broadcast Receiving Contract with NHK and pay the appropriate receiving fee.

From the website: http://pid.nhk.or.jp...ingual/english/

In fact, this vaguely worded law seems to indicate that you don't even have to own a television. They could probably ding you for having a computer which is capable of receiving the NHK broadcast (but not a radio...)

Legal Basis for the Broadcast Receiving Contract

Article 64 of the Broadcast Law

(Receiving Contract and Receiving Fee)

ARTICLE 64. Any person who has installed receiving equipment

capable of receiving the broadcasting provided by NHK shall conclude a

contract with NHK with regard to the reception of its broadcasting.

However, this shall not apply to those who have installed receiving

equipment not intended for the reception of broadcasting, or receiving

equipment solely for the reception of radio broadcasting or multiplex

broadcasting (broadcasting of voice and other sound transmissions not

coming under television broadcasting and multiplex broadcasting

classifications; the same shall apply to Article 126 paragraph 1).

Actually, it's probably the fact that you are being an abrasive asshole that does it. The alternative to being an abrasive asshole is politely telling him you don't have a television and asking him to leave. Why do you have to give the guy a hard time for doing his job? What, he doesn't have feelings or deserve respect just because his job is collecting for NHK?

Actually, it's probably the fact that you are being an abrasive asshole that does it. The alternative to being an abrasive asshole is politely telling him you don't have a television and asking him to leave. Why do you have to give the guy a hard time for doing his job? What, he doesn't have feelings or deserve respect just because his job is collecting for NHK?

Do I give a shit if he's just doing his job?

Not one iota.....he can go and do it elsewhere. Be an abrasive asshole once and he never darkens ur door again, be nice n polite he'll check back in in a regular basis

I don't lie about not having a tv or anything...in fact, I hope they can hear it in the background.

What I do tell them is....... Despite knowing that the law states that I must pay.... I refuse to pay any funds to a company as corrupt, misled and misguided as NHK is. Also, this is 2013 and these collection methods are akin to a Yakuza shakedown and until the stated "law" becomes enforceable I WILL NOT be paying. We are done...have a nice day.