for those who have flat feet, what kind of footbeds/insoles do you use?

for snowboard boots i was told not to bother by my podiatrist and i never have a problem.

spend 75 days a season riding with lots of skinning/hiking.

i use specially molded footbeds in regular shoes.

Superfeet insoles (but I don't have flat feet).

Superfeet insoles (but I don't have flat feet).

Same here. The difference in support that a footbed gives over the standard manufacturer's insole is significant.

the green one? do you guys make any adjustments on it, e.g. making the arch shallower, to match the shape of your feet?

Nope, no other adjustments. I don't really have any problems with my arches or anything, but I find the footbed holds my heel better in the boot, prevents heel lift and just gives a better fit generally.

I think if you don't get a good fit with an off the shelf footbed, then it's time to get something more bespoke moulded to your foot. I guess if you have flat feet it might be better to get a custom footbed?

My superfeet have lasted a LONG time, 5 or 6 seasons, 2 different pairs of boots, at least 300 odd days!

Nope, no other adjustments. I don't really have any problems with my arches or anything, but I find the footbed holds my heel better in the boot, prevents heel lift and just gives a better fit generally.

I think if you don't get a good fit with an off the shelf footbed, then it's time to get something more bespoke moulded to your foot. I guess if you have flat feet it might be better to get a custom footbed?

My superfeet have lasted a LONG time, 5 or 6 seasons, 2 different pairs of boots, at least 300 odd days!

my feet do have arches when there isnt any pressure on them e.g. when i lift them up; but when i stand up the arches collapse. I have tried the green insoles for 15min in sb boots and I did not feel any pain nor pressure points, so i guess they do fit me?

I have custom footbeds. I am pronated.. (pigeon-toed).

They have lasted my about 5 years and are starting to wear out a little bit. but still ok.

The new machines for making footbeds use lasers to measure your feet and how you stand etc..

• 4 months later...

I've been thinking about getting some Superfeet insoles for a while as I know the standard ones you get with snowboard boots aren't up to much and I've got fairly high arches. Finally tried some (borrowed ones) yesterday - the Green ones, for high arches - and whilst they felt perfect for my left foot, they were causing pain in my right, so I swapped that one back over mid-morning. This may have been due to the ankle support I only wear on my right foot (to protect an old ligament injury) or the fact that my right foot is bigger than my left. In any case I ought to get my feet measured on one of those funky, new machines that KD mentioned above. Will try to do this next week, so will keep you posted. :friend:

• 2 weeks later...

Went into Tokyo with my boots yesterday but failed to buy any insoles! :sadface: I found some Superfeet but having spent a couple of hours reading up about them online beforehand, the guy didn't seem to know much more than me and ignored and/or failed to understand my attempts to explain that I wanted them to fit the shape and not just the size of my feet. I tried on both the Greens and REDhots, but they both felt tighter in my right boot, which was no surprise as I think the latter are essentially a winter sports version of the former. I ran out of time before I could try the lower volume Blues, so may go back again this week (to a different shop)! :D

Trawling through the shops, I noticed many of them stocked a couple of other brands that I hadn't heard of before, namely Sidas and Bane, which are French and Japanese respectively. Anyone had any experience with these?

My feet are as flat as a runway also. I have always just avoided shoes and boots with high arches, but I'm curious about these support insoles. Are they that beneficial? I tried them on in the shop and I couldn't really notice anything, let alone some extra cushioning under my feet.

Mick,

shape - katachi

nagasa - length

ashi - foot.

Try using those Japanese words to help you out. I always have to use gestures and repetition to get my message through. Sometimes you just get an impatient salesman. Keep trying!

Thanks Andy! がんばりますよ~

I don't think there's much doubt about the (lack of) quality of the standard insoles, especially after a season or more of use. I guess if your boots aren't giving you any problems then it's just a case of finding something similar to the originals. For me, I'm fairly sure that I would benefit from some custom insoles, I'm just being tight-fisted trying to find an off-the-shelf upgrade like Superfeet et al. The search continues!