I've read that there is snowmobiling lessons/free ride available in or around Yuzawa.

Can anyone help locate information?

Would these be suitable for 2 minimal Japanese speakers?

What is the cost?

How do I book?

All the sites I find just say that there is snowmobiling, not where and when to do it.

There is a snowmobile park at Madarao Kogen just 800m from the lower ticket office.

Plenty of burms and jumps for the thrill seekers.

I don't like it, it's too close and bloody noisy..

Spoils the tranquility of the J-pop on the lift towers :)

One of the things i like about skiing in japan is the lack of sledders. Unlike Canada and the States where the powder gets trashed in a matter of minutes by marauding gangs of sledheads.

I've found the snow mobiles in Japan to be vastly under-powered compared to Canada. Most of them couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. :rolleyes: and the guides in Japan never want you to go crazy alaWinter Vac's comment re pottering around at 7kph (tho we did get to bomb the pow over golf course in rusutsu on the "extreme" tour - extreme it was not :lol: ). Whereas in Canada, they're all for you going all out and trying to kill yourself. :D

I got a ride on one from the lifties at Marunuma Kogen a season or 2 ago....me and mate started down a run before they closed it off.....when we got to the bottom, the chairlift was off and no other way up so the liftie put us on the back and drove me up....good fun

I have been on them a couple of times they are great fun, once was in Gunma the other in Niigata.

I believe it was at Yuzawa Nagazato??? Although was some years ago now so I may be mixing that resort with another.

I have been on them a couple of times they are great fun, once was in Gunma the other in Niigata.

I believe it was at Yuzawa Nagazato??? Although was some years ago now so I may be mixing that resort with another.

Yuzawa Nakazato is the place that advertises that they have it, but there is no pricing on the site or link (from what I can see) to see how to book.

We asked around the resort and that is how we got to ride them.

Resorts in general dont advertise because a license is required in order to be able to offer these.

Its basically goto the resort that do have them and book them there and then.

Just for the record, you would be very pushed to make it to Shiga Kogen from Yuzawa in 1.5 hours.

In good conditions and with your foot down, it's more like 2 hours.

No, meant via train and bus from Tokyo.

It's 70-90 mins to Yuzawa on the shinkansen

90mins to Nagano on the shinkansen, 90mins (avg)on the bus from Nagano to Ichinose.

I love the space, elevation and varied terrain of Shiga Kogen, but when you only have 6 days to go snowboarding in, every minute counts. Plus my mum and sister don't ski/snowboard, so with Yuzawa being a proper town, not just a resort, they can potter around the shops.