I will be going with my family next week for about 4 days in Kyoto. Wife is 6+ months pregnant and we have a 15 month old running around. Any suggestions on best places to go and see? We will likely go to a few temples but the kid will likely be grumpy after too many. While I don't mind walking everywhere, the wife and her ankles likely won't enjoy that.

Kyoto is always really busy this time of year. Normally with a young family the bus would be a good option but with the crowds I would probably them. Even if you can get on the bus when its not too busy if it fills up it can be a mission to get off. The subway doesn't get as crowded but also doesn't go to as many of the popular tourist spots. I think a good option would be taking a taxi to whichever temple you want to visit, then walk/see the temples in that area. Most of the taxis work on flat rate for the first 2 km so they are still more expensive than the bus but can be a lot more comfortable and faster. If your family gets tired of temples and you get a chance to go by yourself then definitely rent a bicycle. Even when Kyoto isn't busy bicycles are faster than the buses.

Get yourself booked into the Granvia, Kyoto Station. The station itself is quite an architectural highlight. Very interesting.

There are numerous buses that terminate at the station and for that reason, you'd be able to get on with seats. We did this with a stroller and sat near the doors.

Or for a more relaxed affair, as Ash said, get yourself a taxi, about a hundred of them ranked outside the station.

Gosho, Kyomizudera, Arashiyama, and Kinkakuji should do you right. I'm very close the the Kyoto/Nara border and prefer Nara myself because it's not as crowded, a bit more chilled, but not as happening either though. My family and I go relax at Heijyokyo quite a bit as the parks are huge.

There's eiga mura, the samurai movie theme park, but its too early for a 15 month year old. Our youngest is that old and she's happy pretty much anywhere. We take her on short hikes etc. and she just sits in in the carrier and nods off from time to time. Its our older kids that need activities and entertaining.

Is wigwam yea any good?

One wonders what the auto correct thought "wigwam yea" meant!?

:lol:

This, for sure! Auto-stuffup, it should be called. Turn it off is the very very best of advice!

It ain;t rocket surgery to do that and learn to spell for yourself.

Of course, checking fat finger problems, such as ";" instead of " ' " does take some concentration! :eyes:

It's close by Kyoto station, just a bus ride away. Walking up the hill through narrow streets of souvenir shops and all that jazz, and once inside, there's a huge area to walk in. Being the water temple, one can sample just how wonderful the water is and have udon next to the temple.

A rather photogenic temple, so once you've done this one to the full, you'd feel there's no more (please).

I think it's hyped as the number 2 most visited in Kyoto. So that would be it.

After visiting Kiyomizu head north(right) instead of going back down to the main road there is a narrow pathway that leads down some stairs and along a street wtith more boutique type shops. There are also a couple more very nice temples in this area. If you wanted to spend a day visting temples I think its a good area to see a few with having to waste half your day traveling around on buses from one side of the city to the other.