noz forecast is predicting light snow on sunday. :wave: I think I better book now so i don't miss out! :groovy:

Yeah am seeing on a couple of sites, looking like a bit coming from Sunday evening. :D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've touched this season's snow twice already Big Dook!   BOOK NOW!

We had a few people ask this and so for those not yet used to the new site.   The Now reports are here http://www.snowjapan...weather-reports More regular updates will be appearing from now on. F

• SnowJapan Admin

We had a few people ask this and so for those not yet used to the new site.

The Now reports are here

http://www.snowjapan...weather-reports

More regular updates will be appearing from now on.

For example an update to Nozawa today:

http://www.snowjapan...ozawa-Onsen-Now

And a 6 day forecast for Nozawa on the 'Weather Info' tab of the resort page (currently for about 200 resorts, more added soon):

http://www.snowjapan...weather-reports

:)

• Like 1

I ferking hate that JAPOW expression. Its seriously dasai. All snow is "powder" and every snowfall is a "dump" is also dasai. The weird one is that loads of high end customers are happy with non-icey non-slushy conditions and aren't bothered about meters of powder which they can't get through anyway with their 70mm waist skis. Such people certainly don't want it snowing during the day every day.

Having had to translate some of it, there is plenty of cheese coming out of Japanese people too. All that "giniro no sekai" nonsense. As for the daily reports, all "Besto condishon" or "Condishion ha (double circle)" seems to mean is that the groomer hasn't broken down.

December has always been a bit dodgy so I agree that folks coming from overseas should be wary. I'd go to Hokkaido then myself because its significantly colder than Nagano.

Regarding Pies' experience with "Book Now for March Bottomless Powder" and the associated marketing hype, I have to say a massive thank you to SnowJapan daily snow reports for exposing me to reality of Japan ski resort conditiions - you guys are actually responsible for shifting my wedding forward by 2 months so that we could have better snow conditions for our Honeymoon!!

My wife was originally keen on booking our venue for a mid March wedding with a follow on honeymoon in Japan, that is until I spent untold hours/ days/ weeks absorbing data from over 10 years of your daily "now" reports for various resorts in Honshu & Hokkaido......

"Don't worry about it" she said - "Japan in March will be better than anything you have seen in Australia" ....

Over several weeks I continually chipped away at her objections to my proposed alternative of a January wedding, by constantly presenting her with March snow data from your reports and slipping in the odd comment along the lines of "We're not getting married in March just so that we can go on our honeymoon to the Powder Capital of the World and experience Freeze-Thaw conditions, chance of rain etc etc etc"

So as luck would have it, my lovely wife saw the light thanks to my persistent whining, backed up with facts gleaned from your diligent reporting and archives !!!

Married January 26th - not due to any particular patriotic inclination,(at least we'll always get a public holiday for our anniverary and I'm less likely to forget the date.. ) ---- followed by honeymoon in unbelievable snow conditions the likes of which my wife & I have never seen before ( despite her having spent a season in Canada, and my watching countless youtube vids saying increadulously "how can you possibly ski / board in stuff that deep?!?!?! ")

Moral of the story - Thanks Guys:you are responsible for my wedding date and subsequent honeymoon that changed my life and literally BROKE MY FREAKIN FRAGILE EGG-SHELL MIND !!!!!

From what I've read on these forums I know what you mean - you are right, it seems there is a dispropotionately high concentration of Aussies at select places......Honestly I can't recall how we ended up deciding on going to that particular "little Australia" of all Japanese resorts.

I think it had something to do with amount of vertical on offer, inter-connected resorts on one mountain, annual snowfall, ski in-ski out, and my complete inability to speak any japanese other than "thanks very much" and "I am a strict vegetarian - no fish, no pork etc" --- Watshi Wa Bejetarian desu, !!!!!

I'll never forget the look of disappointment/ shame on the face of the Maitre De at the Hilton and his response when I said "Shijon yori" - "I'm so sorry sir, we cannot do Shojin Yori" ---- then upon my asking for a simple stir fry of tofu & vegetables with Plain Ramen Noodles cooked in water only - his classic response was "I'm sorry Sir - I do not recommend"

Ironically we got better vego food by catching the shuttle bus and eating at the little Indian and Thai places in the neighbouring village than we did at the Hilton... who would have thought that?

I know - Life is hard when you are a strict vegan in a country with a strong tradition of putting just a tiny a little bit of fish in almost everything, especially when this is combined with your inability to speak anything more than rudimentary basic lingo....

Ironically we got better vego food by catching the shuttle bus and eating at the little Indian and Thai places in the neighbouring village

Well India certainly has a vegetarian tradition so I for one would expect that.

Japan doesn't, as u point out, surely you knew that before coming? Would I expect a huge hotel chain like the hilton to be able to accommodate your requests?! Of course....but not in Japan. It's one of the quirks about the country

Its "omotenashi", that wonderful selfless form of hospitality that blah blah pass the sick bucket.

Come to think of it, if you're asking vegetarians to eat fried rice and to just leave the bits of pork in it, a sick bucket might be a good thing to have on hand.

I now know that I lined us up for major cultural faux pas & food failure with my western expectation of "cook me this but just leave out that.." ---but hey, I thought Hilton would come to the party and save us......

Must admit their bar food was good, ate loads of potato wedges & edamami and they also did some great spontaneous daily variations on a custom vegan pizza theme ( including one with broccoli ?!?! )

As for my general rant and straying wildly off topic, yes beer will do that ( hangs head in shame )

• 2 weeks later...

So as per latest Hakuba Now report, and the fact Happo One is having a pre-opening tomorrow. I am going to safely call this thread closed, as i'm in no doubt they'll be plenty of snow for me once i arrive in end of Dec.

WOOT WOOT!

A quick look at Accuweather, one of the sources in this thread, says on their monthly thing that the actual high temp yesterday was 11C. JMA measured it at 2.6C. Perhaps that's a sign of how much attention you should give Accuweather.