• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've touched this season's snow twice already Big Dook!   BOOK NOW!

We had a few people ask this and so for those not yet used to the new site.   The Now reports are here http://www.snowjapan...weather-reports More regular updates will be appearing from now on. F

Now that Tubby's living in Hokkaido, I'm thinking his neighbor's bunions ought to be given more weight.

It's the same neighbour though!! I was that scared of unscientific predictions that I moved her up here to live next door to me

Now that Tubby's living in Hokkaido, I'm thinking his neighbor's bunions ought to be given more weight.

It's the same neighbour though!! I was that scared of unscientific predictions that I moved her up here to live next door to me

Hmm, has she acclimated?

Given this news, the risk of a false positive cannot be completely ruled out.

BigDook,

You asked a perfectly reasonable question, then the thread descended into unlrelated joshing. Sorry about that.

But....nobody knows.

Hopefully there'll be a big dump before Christmas.

Many times it's nicely snowy in Hakuba by New Year.

skidaisuki....all good, i was expecting some of the comments :)

Been doing some research though, and sounds like the mentions of the appearance of kamemushi and Yuki Mushi aphids, usually means winter is only a couple of weeks away. Or thats whats Japanese folklore says.

As for Jellyfish....i'm guessing the appearance of them in Yokohama harbour again usually means Winter isn't far off either?

I close with those explainations? Or do people own some pretty smart weather predicting jellyfish as pets :)

The jellyfish in Japan are proper gentlemen (or gentle-non-fish-fish) and they patiently wait all summer off shore to allow us humans our swimming season at the beach BUT us silly gaijin like to swim on September 1st which is totally not swimming time and is definitely jellyfish time to cavort in the waves n shallows.....we make em mad so they sting us and the Japanese laugh at our high noses and silly ways.....and they know about winter

I was DEFINITELY told today by my students at my night job, that seeing Yuki Mushi (cotton like, insects that I thought was snowflakes) means that snow is imminent!!

Apparently the going rate of time after seeing the Yuki mushi and seeing snow is up to 10 days....so I saw lots of them yesterday in Teine-ku, so that would be Nov 8th at the latest....you heard it here first....BOOK NOW!!

The start to the season in Hakuba in 2011 was not so good. the top of Goryu was open from the 20 of Dec but only one run with all the local crew on it. They open the rest of resorts on the 25 of Dec with help of the snowmakers. The start to the 2012 season was great. The first dump came on around the 10 of Nov and just keep on coming. You will get a ride and all the resorts will be open but the quality is another thing. also it is the biggest crowd of the season during the Xmas week break.

New year in Hakuba 2011-2012 was crap....there was snow but it hadn't snowed for about a week....the rest of Nagano and Niigata were getting the goods....then I think the 2nd or 3rd of Jan it started to come down....unfortunately I was going home :(