Doner kebab 'inventor' Kadir Nurman dies in Berlin

The Turkish immigrant credited with inventing the doner kebab has died in Berlin aged 80.

Kadir Nurman set up a stall in West Berlin in 1972, selling grilled meat and salad inside a flat bread.

He had noticed the fast pace of city life and thought busy Berliners might like a meal they could carry with them.

While there are other possible "doner inventors," Mr Nurman's contribution was recognised by the Association of Turkish Doner Manufacturers in 2011.

The combination of juicy meat, sliced from a rotating skewer, with all the trimmings and optional chilli sauce, has since become a firm fast-food favourite in Germany, and elsewhere.

I would really like one now.

RIP.

I don't know where that's from, but the style of writing comes across more like a Viz Comic pisstake than the news.

Maybe its one of those life imitating art type weird meta things.

Among other problems in the writing, I've never thought of the bit of salad bunged into the pita with doner meat as "all the trimmings".

It makes you wonder whether the writer has ever had a kebab. Or for that matter, a decent Sunday roast. ;)

1C6EC8E6-E693-BAA8-7B74CA866AD1856E-192799.jpg

The inventor of the drunken Saturday night takeaway of choice – the doner kebab – has died aged 80.

Kadir Nurman, a Turkish immigrant, took the popular Middle Eastern dish of sliced grilled meat and served it in a flat bread creating a culinary, if unsophisticated, star.

Mr Nurman first set up a stall in the then West Berlin in 1972, selling grilled meat and salad in bread.

He later claimed to have noticed the fast pace of city life and thought busy Berliners might like a meal they could carry with them.

The combination of juicy meat, sliced from a rotating skewer, with all the trimmings, and optional chilli sauce has since become a firm fast-food favourite across the world.

There have been other claims to be the inventor of the doner but Mr Nurman’s contribution was recognised by the Association of Turkish Doner Manufacturers in 2011.

Mr Nurman, who emigrated to Germany in 1960, did not patent his invention, and so did not profit from the doner’s subsequent success - but in a 2011 interview he said he was happy so many Turkish people were able to make a living from doners.

Doner kebabs became so popular they even entered popular culture and one of comedian Harry Enfield’s most loved characters was Stavros the kebab shop owner.

There are now doner kebab pizzas and in Scotland the meat is sometimes coated in batter and deep fried.

Despite the popularity of the snack a study in the UK in 2009 revealed they contained “shocking” levels of fat, salt, and calories.

According to a survey by the Local Authority Coordinators of Regulatory Services (Lacors) which sampled the nutritional value of 494 kebabs some contained as much as 1,990 calories.

The study follows research by the UK’s Food Standards Agency in 2006 which found that 18.5 per cent of takeaway doner kebabs posed a “significant” threat to public health and 0.8 per cent posed an “imminent” threat.

He lived to be 80. That's good enough for most.

1C6EC8E6-E693-BAA8-7B74CA866AD1856E-192799.jpg

According to a survey by the Local Authority Coordinators of Regulatory Services (Lacors) which sampled the nutritional value of 494 kebabs some contained as much as 1,990 calories.

Only the best ones!

Donner pizza is awesome

It's been a long 7-8 years since I had the delight to order one at home so no pics unfortunately. The usual one is just a margherita pizza with donner meat plonked on top BUT I used to ask them to put the meat then the cheese on and cook it that way....the meat poking thru would crisp delightfully and below stay nice n juicy....then just before they give u it get them to pour some chilli sauce over the top.....oh mamma that was a good pizza!! :yummy:

Do you remember your first donna kebab?

Mine was in Newquay in Cornwall about '84. I thought I had died and gone to heaven!

I always remember a crowd around the Kebab store watching this guy cut the meat.

I do actually!! :D

Mines was about 13 or 14 yr old, my parents and young bro n sis were away on holiday and I was left in the able care of my 18-19 yr old brother.....him and his mates got me pissed and ordered me my first kebab....sweaty donner , "salad" and sauce....I was hooked from the first smell :D

That must have been about 1994....10 years after u, Stem

Oh yes. I was snogging this girl that later became my girlfriend and my mates drove off for kebabs. They drove back and rolled down the windows eating and watching.

Well, I smelled the kebs and said goodnight to the girl and that was my first encounter and obsession with the keb.

My first kebab was outside a live band venue after seeing Tool when I was 16. It was simultaneously my first experience of the delightful kebab and hot chilli sauce. My taste buds and ring have never been the same again.

I have to say I have never had a good experience with the Doner kebab... The meat always reminds me of Spam or that canned corned beef shit...

And hey Pies...who the hell is "Donna"... :wakaranai:

Stumbling out of nightclub with friends at 1am.

Kebab shop next door (entrepreneurial of them!!!)

I do believe that kebab made a reappearance an hour or so later.

Doner meat and I do not have a great relationship either Chriselle.

However swap the Doner meat for chicken, and it is all good.