• 2 weeks later...

Like Fattwins mentioned, I think the most important point has got to be learning respect for the mountain. Besides that, stuff like riding with better riders, try riding fakie, searching out more challenging terrain, etc, sure helps.

Once in a while a new board helps as well!

I get better all the time and I disagree entirely that you need lessons to improve. Bad conditions are good for improving your skills-you should be prepared to handle any old shit. Also riding in really tight tree situations such as the early season is also good for polishing those skills. Even riding a mogul run by mistake occasionally can be of benefit-if you can ride that crap you're up for pretty much anything.

snowboarding is great, cuz when you plateau with one thing, you can just move on to something that has been giving you trouble. I have gotten alot better at freeriding this year, still plenty of room for improvement, but, now that so many people have been getting busted off-course, including myself, I have been focusing on the park, and my improvement comes noticeably day-by day. it`s a good feeling to still push it and still improve after 4 years.

it's freakin' bust city, my friends got away with some great lines today, but one of our group also got caught. but amazingly, the spot he was caught in was declared to be acceptable by the patrol.

that's one beer for ya' if you can guess which line I am talking about.

As soon as I heard the news, I ripped it for the rest of the day.

aaaaaahhhhhh powder.

I have improved every season, and last season had people with far more seasons behind them compliment me on my style \:\)

I take at least one lesson every week I spend at the snow, sometimes two. If I do 2 lessons I will try and get different instructors as each instructor will pick up on another little fault that I have and give me some advise.

I with you raury - lessons are important if you plan to get really good - not just the ability to get around. There are people who have been skiing since they were little kids that are worse at skiing than my wife who has only been at it for 3 years.

There is only so far you can take a flawed technique before you cant get any better.

depending on the snow conditions, some days i feel like i regress. i think it's really useful to go with people better than you to give you tips and push you to go faster and do more difficult things. plus it helps to try to mimic what they do. but sometimes, it sucks knowing that people are waiting on you (back when i skiied i got so impatient waiting for those slower than me), so it's also good to sometimes just do a few runs on your own, relaxed at your own pace.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can't ride in powder, do jumps, ride switch, bomb the steeps, or handle trees, try some of them. (I tried riding switch a bit on Sat and realized just how much of a challenge getting it right is going to be. But I need it to land jumps...) Charenji, charenji!

So what can't you do yet?

• 3 weeks later...