Mine seems to be on a plateau. Maybe if you just go out there to have some fun without bothering to learn, that's what you get...?

How about everyone else? Do you learn? And do you improve?

I think I get better every season...

I usually feel like I'm at a plateu, and then out of nowhere I will have a "breakthrough" run where things start to click that haven't before...I love those runs...

but I'm usually always thinking about technique, especially when I'm on the groomers...

in the pow I just let things happen...

danz

As everyone has said riding with people better than you pushes yourself, much more so than being the ripper in the group and not being challenged at all. I ride with a few guys, some ex pro's and each of em has a different speciality.

Also i prefer to miss the day trip here and there and wait for a 3-4 day trip as I think it comes together better back to back days..

I think the incredibly enticing thing about skiing (I don't know about boarding but I expect it's similar) for newcomers is how much you can improve with each outing. I have found that there is always something I can do each time that I couldn't do before and there is always at least one slope I find each time which I thought was difficult before but then mastered. It is a great thrill from the sense of accomplishment.

Since I am still between a beginner and intermediate skill with plenty more to learn, I still get this feeling. But I'm sure for the veterans, it's much more difficult to move further up the skill ladder when you are already very competent.

And I think standing at the top of a run and peering over the edge and going sh!t or watching someone ski something and think "I couldnt do that" and then climbing up there and giving it a go anyway - even if you roll all the way down or get a few bruises at least trying it you get better.

And riding with people better and maybe a bit more of an idiot than me has definatley upped my game. Some new gear has given me the incentive to push it a bit more. More mental rather than anything though I think!

But yeah I think you do get those plateaus, maybe like any sports change something, try some different terrain, try the pipe or go with some other people..... blah blah blah

Yeah I try not to hold the people up I`m riding with, `cause I know it`s a bit of a pain in the arse waiting for others. It`s all give and take.And after all, if you were THAT slow then you wouldn`t be riding with that crew, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by OUfreeski2:
Zwelgen, did you end up getting those FATS skis?
Much to my sadness no. I had a few soul crushing bills to pay so am completly and utterly broke till the 16th. Im pretty set on getting some rossi bandit XX, just midfats for me as I cant really justify getting fats for a few more months of Japanese powder.

I agree with you about holding people up. Depends by how long really and obviously not everyone is the same level.

I think I improve everytime I go out. Sking or riding are sports that can come natural, but it does or can take time to learn.

Bumps Powder crud crust wind blown Air spring corn are just a few things. One of the top things that needs to be learned respect. Resect for the mountain and how she can jump up and kick your ass.

Holding people up sucks but if you want to ride with buds then its the price you have to pay sometimes. Sometimes its a good price.

I hate chasing after people who are better than me, just so that I can keep up! Takes all the pleasure out of it. And I hate being told to push myself! If I'm falling a over t down the hill, I'm not learning anything valuable, and just because I don't want to break my neck doesn't mean I'm not trying. It's fun to ride with other people, and good to get some tips, but pretty much as soon as one my mates gives me that "You won't learn unless you push yourself/fall over" line, I'm off on my own to get on with learning in peace.

This year, after the off-season I found that my skills were much better. Maybe it was just thinking about it all the time and constantly eyeing up terrain and riding it in my mind's eye. Or perhaps it was the Dirtsurfing keeping my hand in. But I'm riding much steeper courses with more finesse this year, although steep and tight tree runs are still a big challenge.

I want to be able to land some jumps this season, so when my one-track friends start niggling at me again, I'll be off on my own to practice in the park.

zwelgen...

good choice with the bandit xx...I demoed tons of midfats last year and they were my favorite! I ended up getting myself the atomic 10.20 because I just couldn't beat the deal I got, but you will love the xx...

they smoke on and off the groomers...can handle anything! enjoy!!!

danz